New to RV Towing - 2CoolFishing
Home  |  Contact Us  |  Advertise   |   Follow:
Go Back   2CoolFishing > General Interest Forums > Trucks/Towing/Trailering Forum
Register FAQ Social Groups Calendar Mark Forums Read

Old 10-15-2018, 03:44 PM   #1
GulfCoastAggie
Registered Users-pm+

GulfCoastAggie has been promoted to Gunners first mate (soon to be full share Gunner)GulfCoastAggie has been promoted to Gunners first mate (soon to be full share Gunner)GulfCoastAggie has been promoted to Gunners first mate (soon to be full share Gunner)GulfCoastAggie has been promoted to Gunners first mate (soon to be full share Gunner)GulfCoastAggie has been promoted to Gunners first mate (soon to be full share Gunner)GulfCoastAggie has been promoted to Gunners first mate (soon to be full share Gunner)GulfCoastAggie has been promoted to Gunners first mate (soon to be full share Gunner)GulfCoastAggie has been promoted to Gunners first mate (soon to be full share Gunner)GulfCoastAggie has been promoted to Gunners first mate (soon to be full share Gunner)GulfCoastAggie has been promoted to Gunners first mate (soon to be full share Gunner)GulfCoastAggie has been promoted to Gunners first mate (soon to be full share Gunner)
New to RV Towing

Hi All,

Hoping to get some insight from the experienced. I am looking to put an RV down on the coast and I am trying to get all my ducks in a row as far as what I need to tow one legally and safely. I have a Tahoe with a Max tow capacity of 8500 lbs. So far I know I need a sway bar and to install a trailer brake controller. The RVs I am looking at are only 15 miles from the final destination so I will only be towing a very short distance and very rarely.

With all this in mind, what is the heaviest you would be comfortable towing with a tahoe given that it only needs to go a short distance. The one I really like has a dry weight of 7601 lbs but I am not sure if that is pushing the limits on a tahoe. My towing experience is limited to a Shallow Sport. Also, am I forgetting any equipment I will need to safely tow an RV?

Thanks for the help!
GulfCoastAggie is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 10-15-2018, 07:00 PM   #2
Fishtexx
Registered Users-pm+

Fishtexx has been promoted to PirateFishtexx has been promoted to PirateFishtexx has been promoted to PirateFishtexx has been promoted to PirateFishtexx has been promoted to PirateFishtexx has been promoted to PirateFishtexx has been promoted to PirateFishtexx has been promoted to PirateFishtexx has been promoted to PirateFishtexx has been promoted to PirateFishtexx has been promoted to Pirate
Get a good quality weight distribution hitch with sway control. At 7600 lbs you are 900 lbs under your rated capacity, so you should be fine towing it wherever you want. You will just have to be careful not to add too much weight, 900 lbs will add up quick. Don't tailgate, give yourself plenty of space to stop. I try not to exceed 70mph, cruise at 65 or less. Max air pressure (listed on tire sidewall) on trailer tires and tow vehicle..
Fishtexx is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 10-15-2018, 10:06 PM   #3
SSST
Registered Users-pm+

SSST has been promoted to PirateSSST has been promoted to PirateSSST has been promoted to PirateSSST has been promoted to PirateSSST has been promoted to PirateSSST has been promoted to PirateSSST has been promoted to PirateSSST has been promoted to PirateSSST has been promoted to PirateSSST has been promoted to PirateSSST has been promoted to Pirate
Sounds like you know what you need, and on the right track. For a 15 mile tow, sure you have enough vehicle to tow that trailer, even if it goes over the max weight a little. Like stated above, take your time and give yourself plenty of room to stop.
SSST is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 10-15-2018, 10:37 PM   #4
RB II
Native Texan

RB II has been promoted to PirateRB II has been promoted to PirateRB II has been promoted to PirateRB II has been promoted to PirateRB II has been promoted to PirateRB II has been promoted to PirateRB II has been promoted to PirateRB II has been promoted to PirateRB II has been promoted to PirateRB II has been promoted to PirateRB II has been promoted to Pirate
For 15 mile haul, you may need the trailer brakes, but IMO you shouldn't need a torsion bar. Just drive slow, stay off of cars in front/give yourself PLENTY of stopping room and pay attention the whole time.

Not really relevant, but it really is, when I was a kid (45 or so years ago) and lived at home I hauled cattle for my Dad in a 24'x6' gooseneck stock trailer. We would load it to the gills with big cows and move from pasture to pasture or sell big calves packed in. ZERO trailer brakes and 1/2 ton truck. You learned really fast to stay back and way off of people.

True story, I had a big load and had to slam on the brakes. That trailer was so heavy that it bent the gooseneck ball in the bed of the truck. About a 1 1/2" bolt. Had to cut it out and replace the whole thing, mount and all.

So is that the right way....Not at all. But it does prove that if you give yourself room and control your speed you can overload a truck/trailer and still get by without an accident.
RB II is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 10-15-2018, 10:41 PM   #5
Fishtexx
Registered Users-pm+

Fishtexx has been promoted to PirateFishtexx has been promoted to PirateFishtexx has been promoted to PirateFishtexx has been promoted to PirateFishtexx has been promoted to PirateFishtexx has been promoted to PirateFishtexx has been promoted to PirateFishtexx has been promoted to PirateFishtexx has been promoted to PirateFishtexx has been promoted to PirateFishtexx has been promoted to Pirate
Set it up right, that way when a hurricane is in the gulf, and you have to go get it and tow it inland, your prepared for a long tow in potential bad weather.
Fishtexx is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 10-16-2018, 08:37 AM   #6
SSST
Registered Users-pm+

SSST has been promoted to PirateSSST has been promoted to PirateSSST has been promoted to PirateSSST has been promoted to PirateSSST has been promoted to PirateSSST has been promoted to PirateSSST has been promoted to PirateSSST has been promoted to PirateSSST has been promoted to PirateSSST has been promoted to PirateSSST has been promoted to Pirate
Quote:
Originally Posted by Fishtexx View Post
Set it up right, that way when a hurricane is in the gulf, and you have to go get it and tow it inland, your prepared for a long tow in potential bad weather.
Now that's thinking outside the box, but a very good point!
SSST is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 05-28-2019, 03:36 PM   #7
TheKodiak
Slow is Smooth, Smooth is Fast...

TheKodiak has been promoted to the rank of PrivateerTheKodiak has been promoted to the rank of PrivateerTheKodiak has been promoted to the rank of PrivateerTheKodiak has been promoted to the rank of PrivateerTheKodiak has been promoted to the rank of PrivateerTheKodiak has been promoted to the rank of PrivateerTheKodiak has been promoted to the rank of PrivateerTheKodiak has been promoted to the rank of PrivateerTheKodiak has been promoted to the rank of PrivateerTheKodiak has been promoted to the rank of PrivateerTheKodiak has been promoted to the rank of Privateer
I came across a towing calculator for excel. Punch in a few numbers, and all the technical stuff works itself out. I'm not sure how accurate it is, but it did help me when choosing a new truck for towing. I hope it works out for you as well.
Attached Files
File Type: xls GMC2500GVWR-and-Payload-Calc.xls (13.8 KB, 49 views)
TheKodiak is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message