Prototype rods testing trip to Panama - Page 2 - 2CoolFishing
Home  |  Contact Us  |  Advertise   |   Follow:
Go Back   2CoolFishing > Bluewater Forums > Jigging & Popping Forum
Register FAQ Social Groups Calendar Mark Forums Read

Old 01-02-2010, 12:22 PM   #11
ksong

ksong has been promoted to Pirateksong has been promoted to Pirateksong has been promoted to Pirateksong has been promoted to Pirateksong has been promoted to Pirateksong has been promoted to Pirateksong has been promoted to Pirateksong has been promoted to Pirateksong has been promoted to Pirateksong has been promoted to Pirateksong has been promoted to Pirate

The town of Boquete is a nice place to visit in hot weather. I heard Volcan town close to Boquete is nicer, but I didn't have enough time to visit Volcan.
ksong is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 01-02-2010, 12:26 PM   #12
ksong

ksong has been promoted to Pirateksong has been promoted to Pirateksong has been promoted to Pirateksong has been promoted to Pirateksong has been promoted to Pirateksong has been promoted to Pirateksong has been promoted to Pirateksong has been promoted to Pirateksong has been promoted to Pirateksong has been promoted to Pirateksong has been promoted to Pirate
Courtland joinded fishing from Dec 28 for three days.
We went to Hannival Bank on Dec 28 and we searched for snowy grouper spots after trolling a few hours. While we were jigging for snowy grouper in deep, we heard one boat hooked up a marlin on Hannibal Bank.
We had two sailfish and two dolphin and lots of snowy grouper.
On Dec 29, we went to Montousa. As it was pretty quiet, we went to Hannival Bank later, but we couldn't locate tuna or marlin. Back to jigging for snowy grouper.
On Dec 30, we decided to fish around Ladrones Islands for inshore jigging and popping. Not surprisingly, we got a report on the water that they landed 10 tuna on Hannival Bank nad one boat landed a marlin on Montousa.
But it gave us to test prototype jigging and popping rods.
Though we didn't catch any tuna or marlin on the trip, it was very enjoyable tirp and I found new fishign buddy, Courtland.
Thansk John for accomodating this trip and paying full attention to the details. If I don't go GT fishing in April/May, I definitely go back to Panama Sportfishing Lodge for tuna jigging/popping.

Old 01-02-2010, 12:27 PM   #13
ksong

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 01-02-2010, 12:29 PM   #14
ksong

Old 01-02-2010, 12:29 PM   #15
ksong

The boat has nice higher bow rail as well as casting platform on the transom.

Old 01-02-2010, 12:30 PM   #16
ksong

Reggie found another purpose of the platform.

French couple jigging on Sergio's boat. I can tell they both are very experienced jig fishermen by watching them jigging.

Old 01-02-2010, 12:31 PM   #17
ksong

I brought 4 Black Hole jigging rods (450g 5'2"and 5'4", 350g and 250g), one 350g Black Hole spinning rod and 3 Black Hole popping rods (7'6", 8' and 8'6") as well as Yamaga Tuna82, Blue Sniper 75/4 and 80/5.

Black Hole Jigging rods

I am pretty satisfied with the performance and action of the rods.
We used 450g and 350g rods for trolling with live bonito and jigging for snowy grouper in 600ft. We didn't catch any marlin, but we fought three sailfish in 100 lbs range and many groupers upto 30 lbs with the rods.
The rods showed plenty of backbone for them with nice parabolic bent.
Courtland used 350g spinning rod for deep drops and said he it is a little flexible to dedect bottom with jigs, but I didn't have any problem with 350g conventional rod. I think it is because of difference between conventional rod and spinning rod.
I think the rating of rods are proper. I feel like to land any fish with 450g rod and 250g rod gives very flexible movement for light jigs.
Some suggesgted that the 250g rod imight be too flexible like Ugly Stik after they saw the picture which showed I bent 250g rod with my hand.
But the 250g rod has enough backbone as it is supposed to be as 250g rod.
The minor problem was the reel seats of three rods were moving after fought a few fish. I talked with them this morning and they assured me there will be no reel seat problem when they make productions of the reels as they sent the prototype rods in a hurry. I told them they need to strengthen it as blank under the reel seat can be bent. Good thing is the compony reacts very quickly and is willing to upgrade the rods to make one of the best jigging rods available.
The weight of the jigging rods are not bad in 12 - 13 1/2 oz range, but I feel the weight of the rod can be reduced to 10 - 11 oz by replacing triigger reel seats to normal reel seats and eliminating other parts. The 350g spinning rods weigh about 11 1/4 oz and it looks possible to reduce some weight on the rod too.
Black Hole popping rods
I brought 7'6", 8' and 8'6" prototype rods.
The are not heavy at all, but they looked heavy compared to Yamaga rods.
I could cast pretty far with the rods, but I felt they are not the same league of Yamaga. I know the rods are super strong, but it seems balancing is not right. Instead of testing the rods they send to me, I decided to visit their factory to help to develope popping rods when I have time. They say they can make blanks according to my specs in a day.
Yamaga popping rods
While Reggie used Yamaga 8'2"Tuna82, I tested 8' Blue Sniper 80/5.
Reggie loved the Tuna82. Even they sent the prototype rod for me to test, I don't think I can add anything to the rod.
The most impressiong with the rods are light weight.
Blue Sniper 76/4 weighs 9.5 oz while 80/5 weighs 12 oz.
It was a pure joy to use so light 80/5 rod which is also capable to cast 3 - 4 oz lure pretty far.
I have no doubt the Yamaga popping rods will be very popular as the quality of the rods is pretty similar to Ripple Fisher rods, but much cheaper than Ripple Fisher's.
Old 01-02-2010, 03:32 PM   #18
JFLORES
Registered Users-pm+

JFLORES is a Landlubber (+10 to -10)
Kil,

Great post and info about the rods...Thanks.

Any YFT on the trip?
JFLORES is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 01-02-2010, 04:37 PM   #19
snapperlicious
Registered Users-pm+

snapperlicious has been promoted to Piratesnapperlicious has been promoted to Piratesnapperlicious has been promoted to Piratesnapperlicious has been promoted to Piratesnapperlicious has been promoted to Piratesnapperlicious has been promoted to Piratesnapperlicious has been promoted to Piratesnapperlicious has been promoted to Piratesnapperlicious has been promoted to Piratesnapperlicious has been promoted to Piratesnapperlicious has been promoted to Pirate
Wow looked like a fun trip! great pics also!
snapperlicious is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message