Is Braid line easier to get tangled or backlash? - 2CoolFishing
Home  |  Contact Us  |  Advertise   |   Follow:
Go Back   2CoolFishing > Saltwater Fishing Forums > Line Class Forum
Register FAQ Social Groups Calendar Mark Forums Read

Old 05-15-2017, 10:49 AM   #1
joeletx
Registered Users-pm+

joeletx has been promoted to the rank of Swabbiejoeletx has been promoted to the rank of Swabbiejoeletx has been promoted to the rank of Swabbiejoeletx has been promoted to the rank of Swabbiejoeletx has been promoted to the rank of Swabbiejoeletx has been promoted to the rank of Swabbiejoeletx has been promoted to the rank of Swabbiejoeletx has been promoted to the rank of Swabbiejoeletx has been promoted to the rank of Swabbiejoeletx has been promoted to the rank of Swabbiejoeletx has been promoted to the rank of Swabbie
Is Braid line easier to get tangled or backlash?

I got backlash with 30 lb line that I could not undo last weekend. It was so bad that I ended up cutting the whole spool and replacing it with 14 lb mono. It seems like a slight mistake with the braid line ends up in a big mess. Luckily the fish was not biting so I had time to redo the spool with mono.
joeletx is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 05-15-2017, 10:56 AM   #2
bigfishtx
Registered Users-pm+

bigfishtx has been promoted to Piratebigfishtx has been promoted to Piratebigfishtx has been promoted to Piratebigfishtx has been promoted to Piratebigfishtx has been promoted to Piratebigfishtx has been promoted to Piratebigfishtx has been promoted to Piratebigfishtx has been promoted to Piratebigfishtx has been promoted to Piratebigfishtx has been promoted to Piratebigfishtx has been promoted to Pirate
Tangles are much harder to get out with Braid than mono, IMO. I am sure you will hear differently though.
bigfishtx is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 05-15-2017, 11:58 AM   #3
sgrem
Registered Users-pm+

sgrem has been promoted to Piratesgrem has been promoted to Piratesgrem has been promoted to Piratesgrem has been promoted to Piratesgrem has been promoted to Piratesgrem has been promoted to Piratesgrem has been promoted to Piratesgrem has been promoted to Piratesgrem has been promoted to Piratesgrem has been promoted to Piratesgrem has been promoted to Pirate
Braid can be less forgiving. Makes it much more critical to understand and have reel settings match the bait/conditions.

If getting backlash when it hits the water tighten the cast control on the right side.

If getting backlash mid cast when bait is in the air move out some of your spool cast control weights on the left side. You will need to do this also if the wind picks up. (Most modern reels have a click turn dial. Make it a higher number. It has same effect using magnetic controls.)

With mono we used to back off some to get a little more distance. Don't do that with braid. It's unnecessary and the braid is too unforgiving to do that. Also unnecessary as the braid will give you great distance as is when set right. Any possible gains are negligible and will be punished with the slightest mistake. Hope that helps.
sgrem is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 05-15-2017, 12:41 PM   #4
joeletx
Registered Users-pm+

joeletx has been promoted to the rank of Swabbiejoeletx has been promoted to the rank of Swabbiejoeletx has been promoted to the rank of Swabbiejoeletx has been promoted to the rank of Swabbiejoeletx has been promoted to the rank of Swabbiejoeletx has been promoted to the rank of Swabbiejoeletx has been promoted to the rank of Swabbiejoeletx has been promoted to the rank of Swabbiejoeletx has been promoted to the rank of Swabbiejoeletx has been promoted to the rank of Swabbiejoeletx has been promoted to the rank of Swabbie
Quote:
Originally Posted by sgrem View Post
Braid can be less forgiving. Makes it much more critical to understand and have reel settings match the bait/conditions.

With mono we used to back off some to get a little more distance.
I made this mistake. Thanks for pointing it out.
Old 05-15-2017, 02:03 PM   #5
just plain bill
http://www.myspace.com/billfrainmusic

just plain bill has been promoted to Piratejust plain bill has been promoted to Piratejust plain bill has been promoted to Piratejust plain bill has been promoted to Piratejust plain bill has been promoted to Piratejust plain bill has been promoted to Piratejust plain bill has been promoted to Piratejust plain bill has been promoted to Piratejust plain bill has been promoted to Piratejust plain bill has been promoted to Piratejust plain bill has been promoted to Pirate
nanofil is an interesting line....i've been using it with great results... 17lb
just plain bill is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 05-16-2017, 08:47 AM   #6
Gottagofishin
Roll Tide!

Gottagofishin has been promoted to PirateGottagofishin has been promoted to PirateGottagofishin has been promoted to PirateGottagofishin has been promoted to PirateGottagofishin has been promoted to PirateGottagofishin has been promoted to PirateGottagofishin has been promoted to PirateGottagofishin has been promoted to PirateGottagofishin has been promoted to PirateGottagofishin has been promoted to PirateGottagofishin has been promoted to Pirate
Reel settings are key, but I don't find braid backlashes any more problematic than mono backlashes. The key is not to pull to hard and just work it a little until it loosens up.
Gottagofishin is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 05-18-2017, 10:38 AM   #7
Capt. Kurt Gowdy
Registered Users-pm+

Capt. Kurt Gowdy is a Landlubber (+10 to -10)
Sounds like to me you didn't back the spool with anything and the braid slipped at the spool.

I had a friend rig up three new concepts with powerpro and no backing and his first cast created a mess. The backlash is deep on the spool and impossible to get out.

My personal preference is the back with a strip of electrical tape.
Capt. Kurt Gowdy is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 05-18-2017, 02:49 PM   #8
joeletx
Registered Users-pm+

Backing tape

I did noticed the backlash point went deep down into the line mess. So if I back up the bare spool with electrical tapes, how many wrap is sufficient?
Old 05-18-2017, 03:05 PM   #9
sgrem
Registered Users-pm+

sgrem has been promoted to Piratesgrem has been promoted to Piratesgrem has been promoted to Piratesgrem has been promoted to Piratesgrem has been promoted to Piratesgrem has been promoted to Piratesgrem has been promoted to Piratesgrem has been promoted to Piratesgrem has been promoted to Piratesgrem has been promoted to Piratesgrem has been promoted to Pirate
I use mono against the spool for at least two full wraps across.
sgrem is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 05-18-2017, 03:25 PM   #10
dk2429
Jeremiah 29:11

dk2429 has been promoted to Piratedk2429 has been promoted to Piratedk2429 has been promoted to Piratedk2429 has been promoted to Piratedk2429 has been promoted to Piratedk2429 has been promoted to Piratedk2429 has been promoted to Piratedk2429 has been promoted to Piratedk2429 has been promoted to Piratedk2429 has been promoted to Piratedk2429 has been promoted to Pirate
Quote:
Originally Posted by sgrem View Post
I use mono against the spool for at least two full wraps across.
I've always heard of people doing this. What is the actual purpose in doing this?
dk2429 is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message