selling a firearms collection - 2CoolFishing
Home  |  Contact Us  |  Advertise   |   Follow:
Go Back   2CoolFishing > Hunting and Shooting Forums > Firearms/Reloading/Handloading Forum
Register FAQ Social Groups Calendar Mark Forums Read

Old 02-12-2020, 02:49 PM   #1
Mike in Friendswood
But, I live in Bayou Vista!

Mike in Friendswood has been promoted to PirateMike in Friendswood has been promoted to PirateMike in Friendswood has been promoted to PirateMike in Friendswood has been promoted to PirateMike in Friendswood has been promoted to PirateMike in Friendswood has been promoted to PirateMike in Friendswood has been promoted to PirateMike in Friendswood has been promoted to PirateMike in Friendswood has been promoted to PirateMike in Friendswood has been promoted to PirateMike in Friendswood has been promoted to Pirate
selling a firearms collection

My father had a decent sized collection of antique firearms (100+ guns). The vast majority being Winchester. He passed away nearly 20 years ago. My Mom has kept the collection mostly intact since that time. She now has expressed an interest in selling the collection, after my siblings and I pick out which ones we want to keep for ourselves.

This brings me to my question. Mom lives in a very rural region in the midwest.
Her thought is to hire a local auction agency, let them advertise, and then sell the guns at auction. My concern is that there will not be an optimal turnout and prices will not be as high as they could be. Additionally the cost for this type of auction would be pretty high.

Second option would be to use an online platform to sell the guns. This option would probably yield higher prices, but would also cost a fair amount for the auction service.

The third option would be to transport the guns down here and sell them myself. Eliminating any middle man and maximizing the proceeds for my Mom. My thought is that the Southeast Texas market could absorb a collection this size without diminishing the prices received.

I would welcome any input and thoughts.

Thanks!
Mike in Friendswood is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 02-12-2020, 03:50 PM   #2
mrsh978
Play Deep

mrsh978 has been promoted to Piratemrsh978 has been promoted to Piratemrsh978 has been promoted to Piratemrsh978 has been promoted to Piratemrsh978 has been promoted to Piratemrsh978 has been promoted to Piratemrsh978 has been promoted to Piratemrsh978 has been promoted to Piratemrsh978 has been promoted to Piratemrsh978 has been promoted to Piratemrsh978 has been promoted to Pirate
I think hands on is best. I’m ffl. There are sites, gun shops that will appraise and sell assets. If you have the time yourself - cut out the middleman- and put on gunbroker. Have Guns sent down and do it yourself
mrsh978 is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 02-12-2020, 03:53 PM   #3
Muddskipper
fish control my brain

Muddskipper has been promoted to PirateMuddskipper has been promoted to PirateMuddskipper has been promoted to PirateMuddskipper has been promoted to PirateMuddskipper has been promoted to PirateMuddskipper has been promoted to PirateMuddskipper has been promoted to PirateMuddskipper has been promoted to PirateMuddskipper has been promoted to PirateMuddskipper has been promoted to PirateMuddskipper has been promoted to Pirate
Mike- you should do it

IT's THE time doing it and will you be compensated for your time
Muddskipper is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 02-12-2020, 05:25 PM   #4
Trouthunter
An Over 60 Victim Of Fate

Trouthunter has been promoted to PirateTrouthunter has been promoted to PirateTrouthunter has been promoted to PirateTrouthunter has been promoted to PirateTrouthunter has been promoted to PirateTrouthunter has been promoted to PirateTrouthunter has been promoted to PirateTrouthunter has been promoted to PirateTrouthunter has been promoted to PirateTrouthunter has been promoted to PirateTrouthunter has been promoted to Pirate
Get them to your house Mike, then see Mike at Collector's Firearms for an appraisal. He's a Winchester expert and will tell you their value and might make you an offer on the entire collection.

TH
Old 02-12-2020, 06:47 PM   #5
Michael Smith
Registered Users-pm+

Michael Smith has been promoted to Gunners first mate (soon to be full share Gunner)Michael Smith has been promoted to Gunners first mate (soon to be full share Gunner)Michael Smith has been promoted to Gunners first mate (soon to be full share Gunner)Michael Smith has been promoted to Gunners first mate (soon to be full share Gunner)Michael Smith has been promoted to Gunners first mate (soon to be full share Gunner)Michael Smith has been promoted to Gunners first mate (soon to be full share Gunner)Michael Smith has been promoted to Gunners first mate (soon to be full share Gunner)Michael Smith has been promoted to Gunners first mate (soon to be full share Gunner)Michael Smith has been promoted to Gunners first mate (soon to be full share Gunner)Michael Smith has been promoted to Gunners first mate (soon to be full share Gunner)Michael Smith has been promoted to Gunners first mate (soon to be full share Gunner)
If you have the time, gunbroker is the way to go.
Michael Smith is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 02-13-2020, 07:13 AM   #6
richg99
richg99

Location: North Houston (FM1960/Champions area)& Tenn. in the Summers
richg99 has been promoted to Piraterichg99 has been promoted to Piraterichg99 has been promoted to Piraterichg99 has been promoted to Piraterichg99 has been promoted to Piraterichg99 has been promoted to Piraterichg99 has been promoted to Piraterichg99 has been promoted to Piraterichg99 has been promoted to Piraterichg99 has been promoted to Piraterichg99 has been promoted to Pirate
As has been said, it depends on what Your time is worth.

When I worked, I couldn't have taken the time that negotiating, packing, shipping, insuring, etc. would take. Not to mention the legal aspects associated with who buys each individual item.

One bid, or a consignment setup ..would have been my choice...if I were still working.
richg99 is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 02-13-2020, 07:40 AM   #7
truckin_angler
Registered Users-pm+

truckin_angler has been promoted to Piratetruckin_angler has been promoted to Piratetruckin_angler has been promoted to Piratetruckin_angler has been promoted to Piratetruckin_angler has been promoted to Piratetruckin_angler has been promoted to Piratetruckin_angler has been promoted to Piratetruckin_angler has been promoted to Piratetruckin_angler has been promoted to Piratetruckin_angler has been promoted to Piratetruckin_angler has been promoted to Pirate
I just went through this recently. My Mom knew a guy she went to high school that is an FFL he lives in Galveston. He helped me sell them on Gun broker and he took a very small percentage for his time and effort. If interested give me a DM and I can give you his information.
truckin_angler is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 02-14-2020, 11:06 AM   #8
chwoodall
Registered Users-pm+

chwoodall has been promoted to Piratechwoodall has been promoted to Piratechwoodall has been promoted to Piratechwoodall has been promoted to Piratechwoodall has been promoted to Piratechwoodall has been promoted to Piratechwoodall has been promoted to Piratechwoodall has been promoted to Piratechwoodall has been promoted to Piratechwoodall has been promoted to Piratechwoodall has been promoted to Pirate
I'm an FFL as well, unless it's a buddy, any dealer or auction company is gonna take a chunk out of your $.. GunBroker bus good too depending on the item, but their fees are high too. If it's not too much trouble would you be open to sending me a list of what you have?

Sent from my Pixel 3a using Tapatalk
chwoodall is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 02-14-2020, 01:57 PM   #9
richg99
richg99

Location: North Houston (FM1960/Champions area)& Tenn. in the Summers
richg99 has been promoted to Piraterichg99 has been promoted to Piraterichg99 has been promoted to Piraterichg99 has been promoted to Piraterichg99 has been promoted to Piraterichg99 has been promoted to Piraterichg99 has been promoted to Piraterichg99 has been promoted to Piraterichg99 has been promoted to Piraterichg99 has been promoted to Piraterichg99 has been promoted to Pirate
I talked to my guy at Shiloh some weeks ago. He said that a lady had brought in a large number of older guns. They were selling them for her, one at a time.

I have NO IDEA what they charged.
richg99 is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 02-14-2020, 03:23 PM   #10
Go Frogs
Registered Users-pm+

Go Frogs has been promoted to PirateGo Frogs has been promoted to PirateGo Frogs has been promoted to PirateGo Frogs has been promoted to PirateGo Frogs has been promoted to PirateGo Frogs has been promoted to PirateGo Frogs has been promoted to PirateGo Frogs has been promoted to PirateGo Frogs has been promoted to PirateGo Frogs has been promoted to PirateGo Frogs has been promoted to Pirate
My dad had a very large collection of old very good condition Winchester rifles. When he passed I had Collectors come to the house to make me an offer. As a business owner I understand needing to make money, but they were not close to what the guns were worth. They are good people, don't get me wrong, but as others have said you can do a lot better yourself if you are so inclined. Best of luck regardless of what you decide.
Go Frogs is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message