Tuna popper leader - Page 3 - 2CoolFishing
Home  |  Contact Us  |  Advertise   |   Follow:
Go Back   2CoolFishing > Bluewater Forums > Jigging & Popping Forum
Register FAQ Social Groups Calendar Mark Forums Read

Old 05-17-2010, 01:51 PM   #21
BretABaker
Registered Users-pm+

BretABaker has been promoted to the rank of Chief MateBretABaker has been promoted to the rank of Chief MateBretABaker has been promoted to the rank of Chief MateBretABaker has been promoted to the rank of Chief MateBretABaker has been promoted to the rank of Chief MateBretABaker has been promoted to the rank of Chief MateBretABaker has been promoted to the rank of Chief MateBretABaker has been promoted to the rank of Chief MateBretABaker has been promoted to the rank of Chief MateBretABaker has been promoted to the rank of Chief MateBretABaker has been promoted to the rank of Chief Mate
like many things in fishing, theres rarely something that ALWAYS works, and rarely something that NEVER works. ive used most of the methods......long (12'+) leaders, short (2-3'), fluoro, mono, tying PRs, tying to swivel, casting leaders.....theyve all worked fine.

in my ideal world i do like a 10 foot casting leader which allows about 3-4 feet of line to the lure outside the rod tip and my finger is either the hollow braid or the mainline. i've had more problems with casting using long leaders as the bigger knot or heavier mono can wrap on the guides easier than the braid. this isnt to say this is the only way, its just my preference.
BretABaker is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 05-25-2010, 07:00 PM   #22
Bird
No fish in West Bay

Bird has been promoted to PirateBird has been promoted to PirateBird has been promoted to PirateBird has been promoted to PirateBird has been promoted to PirateBird has been promoted to PirateBird has been promoted to PirateBird has been promoted to PirateBird has been promoted to PirateBird has been promoted to PirateBird has been promoted to Pirate
I like a 3-5' leader just to be different from Luna Sea (just kidding), almost always mono, to give me something easy and fast to re-tie. I have a lot of mono leader so I'm just not using fluoro, no issue with it, just haven't bought any in a while.

The deal with Spro ball bearing swivels has to do with the acid bath they put the swivels before they put the black coating on. Sometimes they don't get rinsed off completely and the acid eats away at the swivel. I too have had a number of them break before I read about it. If you use black swivels, check to see if there is any green looking corrosion. That is acid residue and that swivel is compromised, toss it. I've actually gone back to regular barrel swivels except for big trolling lures. I use a lot of silver ones on jigs.
Bird is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message