Favorite popping rigs - Page 2 - 2CoolFishing
Home  |  Contact Us  |  Advertise   |   Follow:
Go Back   2CoolFishing > Bluewater Forums > Jigging & Popping Forum
Register FAQ Social Groups Calendar Mark Forums Read

Old 01-17-2010, 10:44 AM   #11
ksong

ksong has been promoted to Pirateksong has been promoted to Pirateksong has been promoted to Pirateksong has been promoted to Pirateksong has been promoted to Pirateksong has been promoted to Pirateksong has been promoted to Pirateksong has been promoted to Pirateksong has been promoted to Pirateksong has been promoted to Pirateksong has been promoted to Pirate
Good products sell themselves eventually whether they are made in the US or overseas.
ksong is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 01-17-2010, 03:14 PM   #12
rainbowrunner
The fish kind

rainbowrunner has been promoted to Piraterainbowrunner has been promoted to Piraterainbowrunner has been promoted to Piraterainbowrunner has been promoted to Piraterainbowrunner has been promoted to Piraterainbowrunner has been promoted to Piraterainbowrunner has been promoted to Piraterainbowrunner has been promoted to Piraterainbowrunner has been promoted to Piraterainbowrunner has been promoted to Piraterainbowrunner has been promoted to Pirate
That is correct my friend, and that is the good thing about these message boards, it gives everyone a forum to express their views and opinions. I don't get out on the water as much as I would like, but in between trips I like to talk about it.

Quote:
Originally Posted by ksong View Post
Good products sell themselves eventually whether they are made in the US or overseas.
rainbowrunner is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 01-17-2010, 03:32 PM   #13
ssteel069
Always Stay Maxxed Out!!

ssteel069 has been promoted to Piratessteel069 has been promoted to Piratessteel069 has been promoted to Piratessteel069 has been promoted to Piratessteel069 has been promoted to Piratessteel069 has been promoted to Piratessteel069 has been promoted to Piratessteel069 has been promoted to Piratessteel069 has been promoted to Piratessteel069 has been promoted to Piratessteel069 has been promoted to Pirate
Sorry guys! I just don't get a popping rod costing $375 or $400 dollars! With Savage Rods you can get a custom that's proven and less cash!!
ssteel069 is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 01-17-2010, 11:59 PM   #14
ksong

ksong has been promoted to Pirateksong has been promoted to Pirateksong has been promoted to Pirateksong has been promoted to Pirateksong has been promoted to Pirateksong has been promoted to Pirateksong has been promoted to Pirateksong has been promoted to Pirateksong has been promoted to Pirateksong has been promoted to Pirateksong has been promoted to Pirate
Quote:
Originally Posted by ssteel069 View Post
Sorry guys! I just don't get a popping rod costing $375 or $400 dollars! With Savage Rods you can get a custom that's proven and less cash!!
If you think $375 or $400 is expensive, you'll get heart attack when you find out some Japanese popping rods are as high as $700 - $800.
But the same rods are sold in Europe at $1200 Euro in Europe.
Old 01-18-2010, 08:49 PM   #15
ssteel069
Always Stay Maxxed Out!!

ssteel069 has been promoted to Piratessteel069 has been promoted to Piratessteel069 has been promoted to Piratessteel069 has been promoted to Piratessteel069 has been promoted to Piratessteel069 has been promoted to Piratessteel069 has been promoted to Piratessteel069 has been promoted to Piratessteel069 has been promoted to Piratessteel069 has been promoted to Piratessteel069 has been promoted to Pirate
Check out the 2 piece rods.
ssteel069 is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 01-18-2010, 10:34 PM   #16
ksong

Due to stricter airline regulations, the use of two-piece rods is increasing for traveling fishermen. All Japanese popping rods are butt jointed as well as OTI popping rods which doesn't affect rod action. I expect American rod companies follow butt jointed two-piece rods soon for long popping rods or surf rods.
Old 01-19-2010, 07:40 AM   #17
txcards
Registered Users-pm+

txcards has been promoted to Piratetxcards has been promoted to Piratetxcards has been promoted to Piratetxcards has been promoted to Piratetxcards has been promoted to Piratetxcards has been promoted to Piratetxcards has been promoted to Piratetxcards has been promoted to Piratetxcards has been promoted to Piratetxcards has been promoted to Piratetxcards has been promoted to Pirate
Quote:
Originally Posted by ssteel069 View Post

$350 is still expensive, but Don's rods aren't free either. There is a distinct advantage casting a popping rod that is made to wing lures 80-100 yards, and building a "popping rod" from Cali blanks that are meant mostly for live baiting. Every fisherman has his preference, but I think in the GOM, casting distance is of extreme importance.
txcards is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 01-19-2010, 10:43 AM   #18
aggie82josh
Registered Users-pm+

aggie82josh has been promoted to Pirateaggie82josh has been promoted to Pirateaggie82josh has been promoted to Pirateaggie82josh has been promoted to Pirateaggie82josh has been promoted to Pirateaggie82josh has been promoted to Pirateaggie82josh has been promoted to Pirateaggie82josh has been promoted to Pirateaggie82josh has been promoted to Pirateaggie82josh has been promoted to Pirateaggie82josh has been promoted to Pirate
Quote:
Originally Posted by rainbowrunner View Post
Okay, I'm stressing a little bit about this. I'm sold on the OTI TS 40/60, no problem there! But if I am going to buy a reel for 700 +, I just want to make sure I buy the "right" one . I know you guys have been at this a long time and you have my attention. I've always liked to use lighter equipment when possible. I've absorbed a lot of info on this and the 360 boards and have always heard "you need the Stella 18 or 20000 for Tuna popping". But if the 8000 is a better choice and will save me a few $ I'm good with that.

Is the only difference line capacity?

I've also tried looking for information explaining the difference between SW and FA with not much luck.

Thanks
the stella 18Ksw and 20Ksw are the bigger brothers of the 8Ksw and 10Ksw. The only difference is size and line capacity. The 8K and 10Ksw are perfect reels for the GOM. If you want a reel to pull double duty as a popping reel and a jigging reel I would get the stella 8000sw PG (power gear) and a 10,000sw spool (10,000sw spool has more line capacity than 8000sw). Use the 10,000sw spool for throwing topwater and the 8000sw spool for jigging (metered braid). If you are going to use it strictly for topwater then get the stella 10,000sw. It has the higher gear ratio like the 18Ksw. It's just smaller with less line capacity.
aggie82josh is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 01-26-2010, 11:56 PM   #19
murrman
Registered Users-pm+

murrman is a Landlubber (+10 to -10)murrman is a Landlubber (+10 to -10)murrman is a Landlubber (+10 to -10)murrman is a Landlubber (+10 to -10)murrman is a Landlubber (+10 to -10)murrman is a Landlubber (+10 to -10)murrman is a Landlubber (+10 to -10)murrman is a Landlubber (+10 to -10)murrman is a Landlubber (+10 to -10)
Pametfisher reported earlier that the Stella sw 10k would carry about 265 yds of 60lb JB hollow, is this "enough'' line for GOM tuna? Lets say what if you normally use the tuna sniper 40/60 but wanted to travel to Panama and fish offshore with a tuna sniper 60/80 would the same reel/line be strong enough for larger fish ? In brief, could you just change rods and keep same reel setup or should you just buy more stuff ?
murrman is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 01-27-2010, 06:24 AM   #20
mcgolfer
Registered Users-pm+

mcgolfer has been promoted to the rank of Chief Matemcgolfer has been promoted to the rank of Chief Matemcgolfer has been promoted to the rank of Chief Matemcgolfer has been promoted to the rank of Chief Matemcgolfer has been promoted to the rank of Chief Matemcgolfer has been promoted to the rank of Chief Matemcgolfer has been promoted to the rank of Chief Matemcgolfer has been promoted to the rank of Chief Matemcgolfer has been promoted to the rank of Chief Matemcgolfer has been promoted to the rank of Chief Matemcgolfer has been promoted to the rank of Chief Mate
in panama the larger stella's would be a better choice. you can also fish the larger stella's on a 40/60 tuna snipper just either purchase another spool and load it with 60lb spectre. or just throw it with the same 80lb line you would use on the stella with the 60/80 tuna snipper. in essence the larger reel would work for either rod but the smaller reel might be a little short on line capacity when fishing for larger tuna or marlin in panama....rick
mcgolfer is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message