4 stroke motors vs. 2 stroke motors - 2CoolFishing
Home  |  Contact Us  |  Advertise   |   Follow:
Go Back   2CoolFishing > General Interest Forums > Boating Forum
Register FAQ Social Groups Calendar Mark Forums Read

Old 01-06-2005, 05:51 PM   #1
Naterator
Banned

Naterator has been promoted to PirateNaterator has been promoted to PirateNaterator has been promoted to PirateNaterator has been promoted to PirateNaterator has been promoted to PirateNaterator has been promoted to PirateNaterator has been promoted to PirateNaterator has been promoted to PirateNaterator has been promoted to PirateNaterator has been promoted to PirateNaterator has been promoted to Pirate
4 stroke motors vs. 2 stroke motors

posted this on another board, but thought i'd try the new boating forum here too...lets here it!!!

Iím sure this question will incite a number of heated discussions......Iím about to buy a new, well-known name brand, 20 ft tunnel hull w/ jack plate, and am thinking a 150hp is appropriate. I will probably use the boat 2-3 times per month on average, with intermittent periods of 3-4 days in a row a few times a year. Average trips are lengthy, usually the best part of a day, or all day. I am trying to decide on a 2-stroke vs. 4-stroke motor. I am somewhat mechanically inclined, and know cars pretty well, but know nothing about boat motors, and donít envision myself doing more maintenance work than changing a prop occasionally. I am willing to pay a reasonable premium for reliability. Are the 4-strokes worth the premium? What kind of price premium should i expect? Pros and cons? Thanks for any help.....Nate
Naterator is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 01-06-2005, 06:08 PM   #2
HappyCamper
Fishing Fool

HappyCamper is a Landlubber (+10 to -10)HappyCamper is a Landlubber (+10 to -10)HappyCamper is a Landlubber (+10 to -10)HappyCamper is a Landlubber (+10 to -10)HappyCamper is a Landlubber (+10 to -10)HappyCamper is a Landlubber (+10 to -10)HappyCamper is a Landlubber (+10 to -10)HappyCamper is a Landlubber (+10 to -10)HappyCamper is a Landlubber (+10 to -10)HappyCamper is a Landlubber (+10 to -10)HappyCamper is a Landlubber (+10 to -10)
Go 4 stroke vs. 2 stroke, imo. I am in the market for a new boat and motor also. I will be buying a 4 stroke. They are more quiet, and more efficient on fuel. I believe they can be about 30% more efficient on average. You may want to check out the Suzuki 140 4 stroke. It is very well priced at msrp 11,491.00. Also comes with a 6 year warranty. Hard to beat.

Ken
HappyCamper is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 01-06-2005, 06:09 PM   #3
Argo
Registered Users-pm+

Argo has been promoted to PirateArgo has been promoted to PirateArgo has been promoted to PirateArgo has been promoted to PirateArgo has been promoted to PirateArgo has been promoted to PirateArgo has been promoted to PirateArgo has been promoted to PirateArgo has been promoted to PirateArgo has been promoted to PirateArgo has been promoted to Pirate
The four strokes are about the same price these days if not sometimes cheaper. You will notice that almost all shallowsports these days come off the line with the zuki motors(four strokes) There are many fourstrokes out there on the shallow running boats that seem to like them. I want them to extend my range and be quite AND not have to worry about my VRO going out and blowing my engine again. There are pros and cons to both but the simplicity of the fourstroke(oil injection wise) is what put me onto them. Price around and find a good deal. They are out there.
Argo is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 01-06-2005, 07:03 PM   #4
TOOEXTREME
Registered Users-pm+

TOOEXTREME has been promoted to PirateTOOEXTREME has been promoted to PirateTOOEXTREME has been promoted to PirateTOOEXTREME has been promoted to PirateTOOEXTREME has been promoted to PirateTOOEXTREME has been promoted to PirateTOOEXTREME has been promoted to PirateTOOEXTREME has been promoted to PirateTOOEXTREME has been promoted to PirateTOOEXTREME has been promoted to PirateTOOEXTREME has been promoted to Pirate
4 Stroke

I am running a Honda 225HP outboard and I love the motor. I purchased the motor in Marble Falls Tx. I live in Corpus Christi Tx. and saved a bunch of $$$ buying it from Tropical Marine in Marble Falls. I called around and that was the best deal I could get so I drove the miles and save $$$. Ask for Rick if your are interested in a Honda motor. This is not an endorsement of their business the just treated me right. I would post a pic of my boat if I knew how. When I try to post a pic it says it has to many MB's or something.
TOOEXTREME is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 01-06-2005, 07:06 PM   #5
flieman
Site Sponsor 2006>

flieman has been promoted to Pirateflieman has been promoted to Pirateflieman has been promoted to Pirateflieman has been promoted to Pirateflieman has been promoted to Pirateflieman has been promoted to Pirateflieman has been promoted to Pirateflieman has been promoted to Pirateflieman has been promoted to Pirateflieman has been promoted to Pirateflieman has been promoted to Pirate
I have a pair of Yamaha 225 4 strokes and cannot say enough good things about them. I have owned 23 boats and never had a four stroke and do not think I will ever go back. They are quite beyond belief, no oil costs, and are much smoother running. My last boat had a pair of 130 Yammies and the oil was a big expense at the end of the day.

Flieman
flieman is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 01-06-2005, 08:18 PM   #6
gds
Registered Users-pm+

gds has been promoted to Pirategds has been promoted to Pirategds has been promoted to Pirategds has been promoted to Pirategds has been promoted to Pirategds has been promoted to Pirategds has been promoted to Pirategds has been promoted to Pirategds has been promoted to Pirategds has been promoted to Pirategds has been promoted to Pirate
You might want to look at the Evinrude E-Tecs, the fuel consumption is as good or better as the four strokes, seven year warranty, no maintenance for three years and you can run them wide open right out of the box, no break in. I saw one of the 225's last week at the boat ramp and you could not hear it run at idle, I didn't get to hear it run out on the water but would assume that it was very quiet.
gds is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 01-07-2005, 12:06 PM   #7
Naterator
Banned

Naterator has been promoted to PirateNaterator has been promoted to PirateNaterator has been promoted to PirateNaterator has been promoted to PirateNaterator has been promoted to PirateNaterator has been promoted to PirateNaterator has been promoted to PirateNaterator has been promoted to PirateNaterator has been promoted to PirateNaterator has been promoted to PirateNaterator has been promoted to Pirate
4 strokes

Thanks for all the feedback - please post more! I know I can't be the only one wondering about this....

well, it seems that opinions are mixed, based on feedback on this and the other board. The boat i am leaning towards is a shallowsport. Everyone talks about the hole shot advantage on the 2 strokes, and maybe i'm just ignorant, but besides accelerating quicker = more fun, i don't see the real advantage to a great hole shot in practical terms.....If I can get up on plane in a foot of water with a 4 stroke, that is good enough....it doesn't bother me if it takes a little more time to do it....

My main concern is reliability and maintenance, and from the feedback i've gotten so far, it doesn't seem that there is a real advantage either way.....

also - Suzuki 4 strokes - i've been wondering about these as well - you don't see many suzukis...is there a reason why?
Naterator is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 01-07-2005, 01:42 PM   #8
FishEyes
Registered Users-pm+

FishEyes has been promoted to PirateFishEyes has been promoted to PirateFishEyes has been promoted to PirateFishEyes has been promoted to PirateFishEyes has been promoted to PirateFishEyes has been promoted to PirateFishEyes has been promoted to PirateFishEyes has been promoted to PirateFishEyes has been promoted to PirateFishEyes has been promoted to PirateFishEyes has been promoted to Pirate
Quote:
Originally Posted by gds
You might want to look at the Evinrude E-Tecs, the fuel consumption is as good or better as the four strokes, seven year warranty, no maintenance for three years and you can run them wide open right out of the box, no break in. I saw one of the 225's last week at the boat ramp and you could not hear it run at idle, I didn't get to hear it run out on the water but would assume that it was very quiet.
Fuel consumption is actually better.......quite a bit better than 4 strokes. Something else to consider that I haven't seen mentioned here is the weight difference. Four-strokes are/have been a lot heavier. More weight equals less mpg.

MYTH: Four-stroke outboards are the lowest maintenance outboards.
FACT: Exactly the opposite is true. Unlike other clean technologies, E-TEC engines require no scheduled dealer maintenance for three years of recreational use. There are no valves to adjust, no oil or filters to change. Plus, you don't have to take an E-TEC to your dealer to prepare it for off-season storage. It's so simple, you can do it yourself right in your driveway. Also, failing to follow the detailed maintenance schedule from a four-stroke manufacturer can void the engine's warranty.

http://www.evinrude.com/en-US/

Last edited by FishEyes; 01-07-2005 at 02:22 PM.
FishEyes is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 01-07-2005, 01:59 PM   #9
HappyCamper
Fishing Fool

HappyCamper is a Landlubber (+10 to -10)HappyCamper is a Landlubber (+10 to -10)HappyCamper is a Landlubber (+10 to -10)HappyCamper is a Landlubber (+10 to -10)HappyCamper is a Landlubber (+10 to -10)HappyCamper is a Landlubber (+10 to -10)HappyCamper is a Landlubber (+10 to -10)HappyCamper is a Landlubber (+10 to -10)HappyCamper is a Landlubber (+10 to -10)HappyCamper is a Landlubber (+10 to -10)HappyCamper is a Landlubber (+10 to -10)
Suzuki

"also - Suzuki 4 strokes - i've been wondering about these as well - you don't see many suzukis...is there a reason why?"

Seems like I see more and more Suzukis all the time. I have had a Suzuki 225hp 2 stroke for the last 3 years and have had no trouble at all. I am going to sell that boat and motor to buy a new boat and motor. Will have no problem replacing it with another Suzuki. I will be buying a 4 stroke with the new boat. I am looking at Suzuki,Yamaha or Honda for the next boat.

Ken
HappyCamper is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 01-12-2005, 02:42 PM   #10
BenS

BenS is a Landlubber (+10 to -10)
Earlier this year, I bought my "retirement boat". I've had a lot of boats over the years and researched this one a lot (including test drives and rides with friends with new boats) before pulling the trigger. I went with the 225 4 stroke Yamaha, and so far it's been impressive. I bought the service manual fom Yamaha and with normal mechanical knowledge just about all of the service is something that you can do yourself. The direct injection 2 strokes are also impressive and most are proving to be trouble free with the exception of some problems with the 250 and 300 Yamahas. The yammie 4 stroke will not give you the holeshot of the 2 strokes, but I have enough gray in my beard to make that a non-issue. The mid range exceleration is very good. It is smooth ,quiet and stingy on gas. Just my opinion, but I can't see ever going back to a 2 stroke.
BenS is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message