2019-2020 Alligator gar bowfishing restrictions on most of Trinity River - Page 2 - 2CoolFishing
Home  |  Contact Us  |  Advertise   |   Follow:
Go Back   2CoolFishing > Fresh water forums > Bow Fishing Forum
Register FAQ Social Groups Calendar Mark Forums Read

Old 08-08-2019, 07:23 AM   #11
Beaux
Registered Users-pm+

Beaux has been promoted to PirateBeaux has been promoted to PirateBeaux has been promoted to PirateBeaux has been promoted to PirateBeaux has been promoted to PirateBeaux has been promoted to PirateBeaux has been promoted to PirateBeaux has been promoted to PirateBeaux has been promoted to PirateBeaux has been promoted to PirateBeaux has been promoted to Pirate
Quote:
Originally Posted by SeaOx 230C View Post
I am glad to hear dumping them at the ramp bothers you...it should bother every one.

On another note:

As you are a bow guide I am sure you know that the law states that these fish must be taken with the intention of using them for only two purposes.
1. Human consumption.
2. Fish bait.

There is no "choosing not to clean them". There is only eat them or use them for bait, anything else is not legal.

Dumping them in a pit and calling it "fertilizer" is no more legal or ethical than dumping them at the boat ramp. It is just killing them and dumping them where no one knows about it.

Again this is why I cannot support killing any fish with a bow. I have yet to discuss this with anyone that shoots fish with a bow that does it legally. Some may eat one every now and again but I have found none that legally utilize most if any of the fish they kill.

According to TPWD bowfishing regulations, it states that " Any fish that is edible or can be used for bait (includes all gar species, common carp and buffalo) may not be released back into the water after being taken with lawful archery equipment." Now what is considered edible is up for interpretation. Who determines what is considered edible? What is not listed on the states own regulations for bowfishing is waste of fish. You have to go to a separate page of definitions to find a reference to it. Also for use as bait, technically you can use anything for bait, who determines what is bait? That's also up for interpretation, but my understanding is, what are normal practices. Carp and buffalo are great bait and I give away as much as possible.

https://tpwd.texas.gov/regulations/o...ng-regulations

On a side note, I do not shoot "trophy" alligator gar nor do I offer/encourage others to take them. So I am not against the changes on the Trinity.

Last edited by Beaux; 08-08-2019 at 07:31 AM.
Beaux is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 08-08-2019, 08:30 AM   #12
SeaOx 230C
Registered Users-pm+

SeaOx 230C has been promoted to PirateSeaOx 230C has been promoted to PirateSeaOx 230C has been promoted to PirateSeaOx 230C has been promoted to PirateSeaOx 230C has been promoted to PirateSeaOx 230C has been promoted to PirateSeaOx 230C has been promoted to PirateSeaOx 230C has been promoted to PirateSeaOx 230C has been promoted to PirateSeaOx 230C has been promoted to PirateSeaOx 230C has been promoted to Pirate
No Beaux it is pretty simple. It is illegal to shoot fish with no intentions of using them for consumption or bait. It is illegal to shoot fish with a Bow an dump them anywhere including a hidden pit on private property.

No what is edible is not open to individual interpretation. As you posted all gar, carp, and buff species are included in the rule.
What is that?

Because they're perfectly edible.

I won't repost what you did about not returning shot fish to water and that ALL gar carp an buff are included.
I will add the remaining piece from the TPWD Outdoor Journal. Clearly All Gar, Carp and Buff species are very much edible as lots of people myself included have eaten lots of them. If fact there folks that absolutely love them.

Waste of Fish
It is unlawful to leave edible fish or bait fish taken from the public waters of the state to die without the intent to retain the fish for consumption or bait.
SeaOx 230C is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 08-08-2019, 09:56 AM   #13
impulse
'81 Aggie

impulse has been promoted to Pirateimpulse has been promoted to Pirateimpulse has been promoted to Pirateimpulse has been promoted to Pirateimpulse has been promoted to Pirateimpulse has been promoted to Pirateimpulse has been promoted to Pirateimpulse has been promoted to Pirateimpulse has been promoted to Pirateimpulse has been promoted to Pirateimpulse has been promoted to Pirate
Quote:
Originally Posted by SeaOx 230C View Post
Waste of Fish
It is unlawful to leave edible fish or bait fish taken from the public waters of the state to die without the intent to retain the fish for consumption or bait.
Curious about the actual rule, I searched the statement in Google and found the source:

https://tpwd.texas.gov/regulations/o...ng-regulations
impulse is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 09-12-2019, 03:41 PM   #14
snatchinlips
Lip Jerker

snatchinlips is a Landlubber (+10 to -10)
"It is unlawful to leave edible fish or bait fish taken from the public waters of the state to die without the intent to retain the fish for consumption or bait."

I have no dog in this fight as I do not fish or bowfish for gar, but what is the definition of consumption?

Google yields me this:
  • the using up of a resource: "industrialized countries should reduce their energy consumption" synonyms: using up, use, utilization, expending, expenditure, ... more
  • ▪ the eating, drinking, or ingesting of something: "liquor is sold for consumption off the premises" synonyms: eating, devouring, ingestion, swallowing, gobbling (up), ... more
  • ▪ an amount of something which is used up or ingested: "a daily consumption of 15 cigarettes"
  • ▪ the purchase and use of goods and services by the public: "an article for mass consumption"
  • ▪ the reception of information or entertainment by a mass audience: "his confidential speech was not meant for public consumption"
Wouldn't something being used for a purpose other than dumping them to rot be considered consuming them?

I know toilet paper is considered a consumable, I bet gar scales would be mighty rough on the b-hole, but they can be used or consumed as a fertilizer.
snatchinlips is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 09-12-2019, 03:59 PM   #15
snatchinlips
Lip Jerker

snatchinlips is a Landlubber (+10 to -10)
^^ Getting off my soap box, but as long as the fish is being USED FOR A PURPOSE and not being discarded.. It is considered as being consumed. I'm sure a lawyer would agree.

I would never kill something that I was not going to eat. The family didn't raise me that way, but by definition consumption could be anything as long as it is not wasted. I'm sure it was taught in school that the Indians used fish as fertilizer for their corn. Maybe we should demand the native descendants to pay reparations for those fish as well.

Sorry in advance.. I just like rattling cages.
snatchinlips is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message