2 Cool Fishing Forum banner

Would you buy a new Evinrude motor?

12K views 73 replies 44 participants last post by  SKIPJACKSLAYER 
#1 ·
Looking at new boats. Would you worry about an Evinrude seeing as they are stopping production?

#41 · (Edited)
Let’s talk Evinrude technology. If I had the tools and experience like Mommas Worry and could work on them like he does, I would buy an Evinrude.

Mad props to BRP engineers for keeping the 2-stroke alive when the others walked away. In short, Evinrude was allowed to continue production of 2-strokes because their unique Etec technology enabled them to meet emission standards. What was different about Etec?

Electronic Fuel Injection. Before Etecs, two stroke motors traditionally used carburetors. BRP was instrumental in picking up where the previous engineers failed and they made EFI on a 2-stroke outboard a reality. The 2-stroke outboard engine design survived with Evinrude because of this, while the other engine makers moved on to 4-strokes.

For those unaware, the Canadian company Bombardier (BRP) has a history of producing powerful, innovative machines. Sea-Doo watercraft, Ski-Doo snowmobiles, Can-Am motorcycles and ATVs, and Rotax. I was excited when BRP took over because of their engineering history. It was sad to see BRP get out of that business.

IMO, the likely reason that used G1 300’s aren’t readily available is because the owners are satisfied with them.

Sure there are lemons out there, but every brand produces an occasional lemon.

#44 ·
No. Evinrude closing the doors really had nothing to do with that though. I wouldn't have bought one previous to that either. Reasons?

1. Everyone wants a four stroke nowadays so resale would be my first thought.
2. Longevity seems to be a little better on the four strokes now, which blows my mind because there's a ton of 25-30 year old two stroke outboards still on the water with 20,000 hours on the clock and the only thing ever done is tune up and maintenance.
3. Resale again.
4. Some are quieter, some sound meaner.

I have driven several E-tec powered boats and they flat out rip up on plane. The G2 was an appetizing design but I just prefer to own something a bandwagoner will buy from me in the future.

#46 ·
No. Evinrude closing the doors really had nothing to do with that though. I wouldn't have bought one previous to that either. Reasons?

1. Everyone wants a four stroke nowadays so resale would be my first thought.

2. Longevity seems to be a little better on the four strokes now, which blows my mind because there's a ton of 25-30 year old two stroke outboards still on the water with 20,000 hours on the clock and the only thing ever done is tune up and maintenance.

3. Resale again.

4. Some are quieter, some sound meaner.

I have driven several E-tec powered boats and they flat out rip up on plane. The G2 was an appetizing design but I just prefer to own something a bandwagoner will buy from me in the future.
Not true.....i don't want a four stroke. I've owned 2 and i don't like them.

Sent from my SM-N960U using Tapatalk

#45 ·
Depends on the size of the motor? The bigger block motors are known to have issues. I have a 2018 60hp that has been bulletproof and with 8 more years of warranty, I’m not to concerned. I’m sure I would have hell trying to sell the rig if I chose to sell it though....

#48 ·
I would worry more about Local shops keeping certified knowledgeable techs in the shop. And spare parts too. Yes you can order online - shops are not going to want boats sitting around waiting on parts. If they can’t make money on selling new Evinrudes - why keep the people and equipment to maintain them?

BTW - one of the first things BPR did after they made this announcement was lay-off their Bassmaster support team. That tells you tons about how they plan to support envinrude owners.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

#49 ·
I would worry more about Local shops keeping certified knowledgeable techs in the shop. And spare parts too. Yes you can order online - shops are not going to want boats sitting around waiting on parts. If they can’t make money on selling new Evinrudes - why keep the people and equipment to maintain them?

BTW - one of the first things BPR did after they made this announcement was lay-off their Bassmaster support team. That tells you tons about how they plan to support envinrude owners.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
Evinrude motors(used)along with parts and service will be around for a long time to come ......just no new motors

Merc and Yam will split BRP's market share on that .....

#50 ·
??

this last week i had pathfinder owner on my boat, he stated my E-Tec was extremely quite and smooth. Knock on wood, it's a 2007 and i hope it continues to purr for another decade. I'm at a loss because i want another E-Tec, no interest in a mower motor for my next boat. the no maintenance for 5 years, and absolutely no oil changes period. I really like this. :texasflag

#51 ·
this last week i had pathfinder owner on my boat, he stated my E-Tec was extremely quite and smooth. Knock on wood, it's a 2007 and i hope it continues to purr for another decade. I'm at a loss because i want another E-Tec, no interest in a mower motor for my next boat. the no maintenance for 5 years, and absolutely no oil changes period. I really like this. :texasflag
My In-Famous 20 year old Evin Ficht just got another 11hours on them from the last two trips this month to Lake Livingston ....to be replaced this winter with two 10 year old 300 G1 Etec .....I could buy the used Yam F or Merc V-Rod if I wanted to ...

Attachments

#56 ·
I'm curious if anyone has put a decent amount of hours on their Evinrude? By that I mean over 1,500 hours, without issues?

On 4 strokes, it's not uncommon to have over 2k hours on an offshore battle wagon, before I repowered with brand new Suzuki's, my 2003's had just over 2,200 hours each and were still running strong when I sold them to a towboat company in Corpus. He had engines in his fleet with well over 5k and 6k hours with no issues.

Relentless

#57 ·
I'm curious if anyone has put a decent amount of hours on their Evinrude? By that I mean over 1,500 hours, without issues?

On 4 strokes, it's not uncommon to have over 2k hours on an offshore battle wagon, before I repowered with brand new Suzuki's, my 2003's had just over 2,200 hours each and were still running strong when I sold them to a towboat company in Corpus. He had engines in his fleet with well over 5k and 6k hours with no issues.

Relentless
I would think very few. You see those high hours almost entirely on offshore rigs, or crabbers. Lots of Etecs on the cat style boats, because they are the perfect fit. Very few bay fishermen will ever see 1k hrs on a boat motor, i bet less than 5%. Just two different animals, a 2 stroke will never attain the hours of a 4 stroke, but it's a mute point to the majority of us.

#66 ·
The one thing I'm noticing when out on the water is there are just a lot of etec's period. On the coast, that is. I don't fish fresh water much but allegedly Evinrude only had a ~6% market share of the outboard engine sales. I'd be curious to know how much marketshare they had in the coastal areas.

Next time you are on the coast look at how many boats are powered with ETEC's. That is why there are so many for sale, not because of them going tits up. I specifically bought my last one because it was the lightest engine (in the 90 HP range) I could get for my boat.

#69 ·
Not no but......

....HECK NO! Bought a new one in 07. Spent more time in the shop than on the water. Powerhead blew at around 200 hrs. Promotional extended warranty covered it after many phone calls. sold it as fast as I could after that. I would not buy a used boat with an E on the back either.

#70 ·
love hate relationship

like a lot of things, you either love or hate them. mine's been flawless in terms of the motor, I've had peripheral stuff like starter, flywheel go bad but the motor has been a gem. Purrs like a kitten, smooth, quite, reliable, fuel efficient and going on 14 hard years now, 175hp. There seems to be a lot of problems with them out there, but every time I've asked a technician, they say no more problems than any brand. :texasflag

#71 ·
like a lot of things, you either love or hate them. mine's been flawless in terms of the motor, I've had peripheral stuff like starter, flywheel go bad but the motor has been a gem. Purrs like a kitten, smooth, quite, reliable, fuel efficient and going on 14 hard years now, 175hp. There seems to be a lot of problems with them out there, but every time I've asked a technician, they say no more problems than any brand. :texasflag
100% correct.

Sent from my SM-N960U using Tapatalk

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.