2 Cool Fishing Forum banner

Buying a diesel with 100000 plus miles

13K views 40 replies 27 participants last post by  bwguardian 
#1 ·
Whats yalls opinion. Is buying a diesel with 100,000 to around 150,000 miles just getting broke in? I've heard people say that alot.

#5 ·
Stay away from the 2003 and 2004 6.0L engines as they typically had many issues. Given that, they had most issues on those worked out by 2005...so if you really want a 6.0L get a 2005-2007 and if you plan to do any modifications or tow heavy, get ready to bust out the pocket book. If possible, find a good 7.3L, you won't be disappointed!

#11 ·
The 5r100 is actually the best transmission out of the big 3 when tuned correctly. The allison is an awesome tranny on a stock duramax but can't handle more than about 90 hp over stock. New 5r100's are holding 600+ hp with only tuning. Add more power to it with stock transmission tuning and say bye bye though. If they ever would have dropped a 5.9 in production fords there would be no competition left in the diesel truck sales that would be amazing!

#24 ·
"Another option for the guys with the 7.3s for a tranny is going with a BTS tranny or a John Woods, both shops make near bullet proof rebuilt trannys for the 7.3 PSDs"

So, I need to re-build my Transmission. Got an estimate of 2k. Any idea what these sell for?

Roger
Roger,

You need to contact them, since you're in Tx, BTS(Brians Truck Shop) is a lot closer, they are in I thing Lead Hill Arkansas. These trannys cost a lot more but are worth it if you plan on keeping the truck!

#23 ·
100K DIESEL

Call the dealer with the vin# and ask for a warranty history. be sure all the updates have been completed. as for the miles, Don't be Skeered.
be prepared to spend money on: shocks, rearching the springs(if it was used for towing), fluid changes/flushes, brake pad replacement and fuel filter/air filter to be sure she is good to go another 100k.

#31 ·
I have had an old salt local tranny guy work on most of ours and half the trucks tow haul really heavy...they have had no issues. He modifies the torque converters and the tranny for alot less than BTS or the other guy mentioned!:D
Yep, neither of them are cheap!

A smart guy would get a business going, to start rebuilding these 7.3 PSDs!
In the future, there are a lot of guys who are going to want rebuilds instead of buying one of these new computerized diesels!

#27 ·
MY 05 F350 WITH 125000 MILES RUNS GREAT, NO MAJOR PROBLEMS, KEEP ROYAL PURPLE IN THE MOTOR, TOW BOATS TO AND FROM THE COAST 250 MILES ROUND TRIP AT 70-75MPH NO PROBLEM AND YES IT IS A 6.0. I BOUGHT IT WITH 84000 MILES AND ONLY HAD TO FLUSH THE INJECTORS WHEN I FIRST BOUGHT IT, DID IT MORE TO BE ON THE SAFE SIDE AS OPPOSED TO HAVING TO DO IT.....

#28 ·
My brother has 2 F-250 that he uses for his commercial roofing business. Both truck pull trailers and the bed gets loaded with material and equiptment. One is a 2003 and has over 350k miles and the 2004 usually travels more and has 425k miles on it.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.