Tomatillos - 2CoolFishing
Home  |  Contact Us  |  Advertise   |   Follow:
Go Back   2CoolFishing > General Interest Forums > Home Gardening Forum
Register FAQ Social Groups Calendar Mark Forums Read

Old 05-25-2020, 06:08 PM   #1
Meadowlark
Registered Users-PM plus

Meadowlark has been promoted to PirateMeadowlark has been promoted to PirateMeadowlark has been promoted to PirateMeadowlark has been promoted to PirateMeadowlark has been promoted to PirateMeadowlark has been promoted to PirateMeadowlark has been promoted to PirateMeadowlark has been promoted to PirateMeadowlark has been promoted to PirateMeadowlark has been promoted to PirateMeadowlark has been promoted to Pirate
Tomatillos

Anyone on this forum growing tomatillos?

My first time this year and was wondering how long it takes for them to set fruit? I was kind of guessing they would fruit at the same time as tomatoes, but mine are just now showing some white blooms.

Very interesting plant to grow.
Attached Images

Meadowlark is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 05-26-2020, 05:08 AM   #2
karstopo
Taking shots at fish

karstopo has been promoted to Piratekarstopo has been promoted to Piratekarstopo has been promoted to Piratekarstopo has been promoted to Piratekarstopo has been promoted to Piratekarstopo has been promoted to Piratekarstopo has been promoted to Piratekarstopo has been promoted to Piratekarstopo has been promoted to Piratekarstopo has been promoted to Piratekarstopo has been promoted to Pirate
No, not really. I put in one plant this year, but for some reason, white flies were super attracted to it. I did later read tomatillos do much better setting fruit when there is more than one plant in a grouping.

With the white fly infestation, I was worried those pests might spread to other vegetables, and the lack of fruit set, I took out my tomatillo plant pretty early in April. I got nothing but Lots of dropped blooms. Btw, the blooms were yellow on the plant I had. The plant above in the photo looks very much like a basil.

I put in a cayenne pepper in the tomatillo spot and it’s doing fine. I might try tomatillo someday again and do at least two. The one I had did bloom like nuts in spite of the white flies that kept coming around it, but by the time I took it out and put it in the compost pile, I didn’t see a single set fruit.
karstopo is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 05-27-2020, 11:22 AM   #3
Gilbert
Registered Users-pm+

Gilbert has been promoted to PirateGilbert has been promoted to PirateGilbert has been promoted to PirateGilbert has been promoted to PirateGilbert has been promoted to PirateGilbert has been promoted to PirateGilbert has been promoted to PirateGilbert has been promoted to PirateGilbert has been promoted to PirateGilbert has been promoted to PirateGilbert has been promoted to Pirate
I have 4 going and I've been picking off of them for 3 weeks now.
Gilbert is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 05-27-2020, 11:29 AM   #4
Meadowlark
Registered Users-PM plus

Meadowlark has been promoted to PirateMeadowlark has been promoted to PirateMeadowlark has been promoted to PirateMeadowlark has been promoted to PirateMeadowlark has been promoted to PirateMeadowlark has been promoted to PirateMeadowlark has been promoted to PirateMeadowlark has been promoted to PirateMeadowlark has been promoted to PirateMeadowlark has been promoted to PirateMeadowlark has been promoted to Pirate
Quote:
Originally Posted by Gilbert View Post
I have 4 going and I've been picking off of them for 3 weeks now.
Do you mind posting a photo? Thanks.

I'm beginning to think the supplier or someone switched the seeds. Mine are definitely looking and smelling like basil...white blooms instead of yellow. My wife says its basil...Karstopo says its basil...it does smell like basil.

I just ordered some more seeds this time hoping I get the right ones.
Old 05-27-2020, 11:42 AM   #5
Gilbert
Registered Users-pm+

Gilbert has been promoted to PirateGilbert has been promoted to PirateGilbert has been promoted to PirateGilbert has been promoted to PirateGilbert has been promoted to PirateGilbert has been promoted to PirateGilbert has been promoted to PirateGilbert has been promoted to PirateGilbert has been promoted to PirateGilbert has been promoted to PirateGilbert has been promoted to Pirate
yours does look like basil. I'll go snap a pick here in a bit. Flowers should be yellow, not white.
Old 05-27-2020, 03:59 PM   #6
Gilbert
Registered Users-pm+

I can't get my pic to post but this is what it should look like.

Old 05-27-2020, 06:43 PM   #7
Meadowlark
Registered Users-PM plus

Yep, has to be switched seeds somewhere along the way. Thanks...I'll start over.
Old 05-28-2020, 07:46 AM   #8
cajunasian
"He is the ONE"

cajunasian has been promoted to Piratecajunasian has been promoted to Piratecajunasian has been promoted to Piratecajunasian has been promoted to Piratecajunasian has been promoted to Piratecajunasian has been promoted to Piratecajunasian has been promoted to Piratecajunasian has been promoted to Piratecajunasian has been promoted to Piratecajunasian has been promoted to Piratecajunasian has been promoted to Pirate
picture looks more like sweet basil but I never grew tomatillos before to compare.
cajunasian is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 05-28-2020, 09:38 AM   #9
WildThings
Registered Users-pm+

WildThings has been promoted to PirateWildThings has been promoted to PirateWildThings has been promoted to PirateWildThings has been promoted to PirateWildThings has been promoted to PirateWildThings has been promoted to PirateWildThings has been promoted to PirateWildThings has been promoted to PirateWildThings has been promoted to PirateWildThings has been promoted to PirateWildThings has been promoted to Pirate
Quote:
Originally Posted by Meadowlark View Post
Yep, has to be switched seeds somewhere along the way. Thanks...I'll start over.
If it looks like basil, smells like basil, walks like basil then.....just sayin' LOL
WildThings is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message