2 Cool Fishing Forum banner

New "Migration" In the Works

17K views 38 replies 14 participants last post by  texasislandboy 
#1 ·
Sold the Winter 29 and working on refurbishing a Glenn Manning 32 - same name, different ride. We'll see if it catches tarpon in seven or eight months.

Attachments

See less See more
#4 ·
Good luck with the project. I look forward to some videos of it in action.

I’m curious. If I remember correctly, you said you wished you had designed your previous boat as a center console. Do you have a reason for not going that way with this boat?
Last boat was a center console. Moving away from that to have more deck space and more shade. A/C in the cabin for the run in and out, etc.

#10 ·
Diesel boat...thought you liked gas for tarpon fishing. Looks like a fun project. AC is the bomb for summer. Won't fish offshore without it. Have owned many center console boats and have gone back and forth between flybridge AC boats and center consoles. Wont go back to center consoles unless snapper fishing in winter becomes legal in federal waters again.. Cant wait to hear how boat performs. Absolutely loved your last boat and actually tried to justify buying it and putting a diesel in. Three boats was not a good option for me and most importantly family time. Thanks for posting.

#12 ·
Diesel boat...thought you liked gas for tarpon fishing.
Yea, gas is best by far. Having said that, Cummins seem to be okay, certainly on cold molded boats. This one is not cold molded but I'm banking on the thick hull, wood core decks and keel to help diminish some of the noise factor of the diesel. The old Yanmars I had in my SeaVee really made a lot of noise and although I caught plenty of fish, were not as good as gas. With the SeaVee, I just had to drag baits farther back, but there were plenty of times I got double or triple strikes. It's kind of the age-old problem. Gas is great for catching fish, but not so great on long term sustainability of the motor, fuel economy, safety of use or for torque and speed with bigger and heavier boats. As with everything, it's a compromise, one way or the other. I figure at my age, this is likely my last tarpon boat.... so, comfort, sustainability and size are bigger factors. I'll adjust to catch fish. Maybe with this hull design, I'll just look like a small shrimper to them and not be a problem. Time will tell !!!

#18 ·
The town is long since abandoned, but it still is on the US Geological Survey map as a township so you can still Coast Guard register a boat there. First and last point of entry in and out of the Gulf behind Pass Cavallo. Used to run by it for years, that's why.

#32 ·
Hadn't made it out yet. Still finishing all the tweaks. Should know soon. Will let you know.

One thing I do know, the Lowrance Structure Scan 3d imaging is way cool!! Can't wait to get it on some tarpon. Ran over a three foot gar over the weekend and it was awesome.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.