2 Cool Fishing Forum banner

New "Migration" In the Works

17K views 38 replies 14 participants last post by  texasislandboy 
#1 ·
Sold the Winter 29 and working on refurbishing a Glenn Manning 32 - same name, different ride. We'll see if it catches tarpon in seven or eight months.

Attachments

See less See more
#38 ·
Shamrock I assume? Cool. Be sure and check center console screw joints and make sure the screws aren't stripped through the deck. I haven't looked at a 270 in a while, but my recollection was that Shamrock screwed consoles and lots of other stuff (hatches, access panels, etc) through the deck to secure them. Typically, you remove them once or twice or just use the boat over the years and they all strip out and have to be re-glassed.

If you are going to tarpon fish with it, the old carburetor engines are best, because you can dial them down. If it is an EFI, you might think about getting a trolling valve installed. You should have room behind the gear for that. Just need to get the speed trolling down to under 2.2 knots.

One last thing, look at the exhaust pipes. They used to be cast iron past the exhaust risers toward the stern. They always corroded and failed. I replace mine with fiberglass at one time. If he'll let you, take the exhaust off of the elbow and look and see how bad the risers/exhaust elbows are. That will tell you a lot about the condition of the motor.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.