2 Cool Fishing Forum banner

Fluorocarbon Leader

9K views 13 replies 14 participants last post by  Midsized Johnson 
#1 ·
So, the conversation came up today about using fluorocarbon leader for tarpon off the Texas coast. At $1 per foot or more for something sizeable that sure would add up fast in cost with all the toothy critters out there. Was just curious if anyone uses it.

#2 ·
https://www.tackledirect.com/hi-seas-fluorocarbon-leader-50yds.html

https://www.tackledirect.com/hi-seas-grand-slam-bluewater-fluorocarbon-leader-25yds.html

Hi-Seas Fluorocarbon leader is a lot less than $1/ft even in higher pound tests. I’ve used it (not on Tarpon) and it has been as good as Seaguar in my experience. Seaguar premier 50# is .024”, Seaguar blue label is .028” and Hi-Seas is .028”

100# Hi-Seas fluorocarbon is .039” and Seaguar blue is .041”.

You can get 50 yards of 80# hi-seas for about $44. 30 cents a foot or so.

#6 ·
I feel like i did better using it but can’t be sure. I figured if it put an extra tarpon or two on the line over a season it was worth it. At any rate, it gave me more faith to keep casting and that put more tarpon in the air.

I just used about 3 feet of fluorocarbon leader so I wasn’t burning through enough of it to be too financially painful.

#7 ·
Not necessary

Tarpon are NOT line shy - 90% of the time you will be fishing off colored water, about the only reason I would consider Fluro on tarpon is abrasion resistance, its got a much harder surface than mono --

100# clear mono if you are bait fishing - 60# if **** pops , fluoro around rocks and rigs --

#9 ·
Ande Fluro leader is a good value and good stuff.. can't remember the price though, just know that it was lower. I've used it for big trout near rocks and I was happy with the smaller diameters 25-30lb.. I'm assuming the bigger diameters would be fine as well. I do also agree with using heavy mono fishing the open water schools.

#10 ·
The Captain I fished with for years in Key West, certainly believes in
fluoro . The water in the Keys is usually pretty clear so your mileage may vary. Captain Paul would go down all the way to 40 lb leaders on really tough days. I remember a day , there were multiple boats fishing the same area , we were the only ones hooking up.
It make a believer out of me.

Mo

#14 ·
Used 20 lb Stren mono as leader material for years without issue. I think keeping an eye on the leader for frays and nicks is best. I lost a tarpon on the beach though, she turned and clipped the leader with her gill plate and off she went with my orange head Mirrolure! So maybe, once I had an issue! lol

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.