2 Cool Fishing Forum banner

Crab for Texas Tarpon?

5K views 7 replies 7 participants last post by  CiguateraSoup 
#1 ·
Anyone down here ever use crab for tarpon? Seems like it is a go-to bait in Florida but fishing there seems to occur more at passes than here in TX. I've seen a number of references to using a blue or peeler crab under a float but was wondering if anyone had any success in TX with that setup?

Thanks.

#2 ·
I wondered the same thing back when I was doing a lot of tarpon fishing but never tried it. I did well enough with lures that I decided not to go to the trouble of fishing with live bait. I watched lots of tarpon caught off the jetties on smallish mullet, 3-5 inches though.

Good luck.

If you give it a try, let us know how you do.

#3 ·
I think a lot of it will depend on how many crabs normally float out of the passes here. Everyone in Florida uses blue crabs, but there is a crab, called (of all things) a "pass crab." They are almost white with brown spots and have longer legs and claws than the blues. These crabs are prone to use the current to get from A to B. Most of the blue crabs you see on the surface at night, are soft shells and they are there to avoid predators on the bottom.

I've never seen a pass crab in Texas. A blue crab should work, but I don't know about the success rate, if pass crabs aren't here, because the tarpon won't be keying in on crabs, like they do in Florida. From underneath, pass crabs and blue crabs are the same color, so I think that's why they work so well in Florida.....but I don't know for sure, since I rarely used crabs for bait, even in Florida.

#4 ·
I think a lot of it will depend on how many crabs normally float out of the passes here. Everyone in Florida uses blue crabs, but there is a crab, called (of all things) a "pass crab." They are almost white with brown spots and have longer legs and claws than the blues. These crabs are prone to use the current to get from A to B. Most of the blue crabs you see on the surface at night, are soft shells and they are there to avoid predators on the bottom.

I've never seen a pass crab in Texas. A blue crab should work, but I don't know about the success rate, if pass crabs aren't here, because the tarpon won't be keying in on crabs, like they do in Florida. From underneath, pass crabs and blue crabs are the same color, so I think that's why they work so well in Florida.....but I don't know for sure, since I rarely used crabs for bait, even in Florida.
I've never fished for tarpon with crab here but there are a lot of blue crab working in and out of our jetties/passes during late summer and fall with the tides. My boys net them regularly.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.