2 Cool Fishing Forum banner

Full Moon

5K views 6 replies 7 participants last post by  348473 
#1 ·
Planning a trip to Costa Rica. Can anyone tell me what effect full moon has on Tarpon ?

#5 ·
crack of dawn, high noon, dusk

you never know, during a full moon, you may be able to jump a couple at the crack of dawn, mid day or dusk. Plus, when I'm tarpon fishing, one fish is a successful day. during a full moon, if they turn on, it could be at any time of the day. but most likely very short lived. if you are going to be there, i'd have to give it a try. ask the guides/lodge what they think?? they may be so think, it doesn't matter. :wink::texasflag

#6 ·
I'd avoid the full moon if possible. Down there, things are different. Often there is a lot of cloud cover - just depends on time of year etc. That fishery is not what it was 20 years ago. Not even close. I was there a year ago and was very disappointed with the way it had changed. No doubt that commercial fishing has had a huge impact on non-game species like sharks, jacks etc. Just not many around. Tarpon were smaller than they should have been for the time of year and bait wasn't as easy to come by as it should have been. The farming, mostly banana plantations, are vastly more extensive than they were 20 years ago. Once you clear the mountains headed for the coast, the countryside now looks like you are flying over farming areas of Texas, not a rain forest countryside. You can't have all that farming, all those pesticides, etc. without impacting the fishery. I saw extensive crop dusting every day we were out fishing. Really a shame.

#7 ·
We were down there during a full moon in July. We caught plenty of fish. I heard everything from don't go the full moon f's it all up to the locals taking off of work to fish the full moon so I don't know. My first cast in CR at night by myself after dropping the bags off at the house I got hooked up. You'll catch fish and have a good time either way.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.