2 Cool Fishing Forum banner

Tarpon

9K views 15 replies 9 participants last post by  hooked15 
#1 ·
I'd like to take a tarpon trip in late July- early August. Where on the Texas coast would be the best chances? TIA.

#5 ·
It is but there has been lots posted on the board over the years. This time of year the tarpon are all along the coast. I’ve done most of my tarpon fishing off the Port Aransas south jetty but the jetties and passes all along the coast as well as near offshore have tarpon.

#9 ·
Your best shot

Is when Rain Minnows begin their offshore migration - late August thru October, if rain minnows are there the tarpon will be around jetty ends gulping big mouthfulls, July /Aug is a lot more hit and miss and burning lots of gas 2-7 miles out.

I've caught hundreds of Texas Tarpon over the years, from Boca Chica to Pass Cavallo - can't speak for points north of there, in your time frame you are likely to find good pods surfing the jetty ends, 50-150# fish, POC ,PA, Mansfield or Port Isabel. The 200# fish we have landed were always late fish - October

and even later in Port Isabel - its weather and water flow driven as well

If you hit the rain minnow migration at nite , you will see many big fish actively busting, less so during the day.

If you spend a week on the water in the right place you will get your fish on -

#11 ·
Is when Rain Minnows begin their offshore migration - late August thru October, if rain minnows are there the tarpon will be around jetty ends gulping big mouthfulls, July /Aug is a lot more hit and miss and burning lots of gas 2-7 miles out.

If you hit the rain minnow migration at nite , you will see many big fish actively busting, less so during the day.

If you spend a week on the water in the right place you will get your fish on -
Trueblue - What kind of lures do you recommend to match the hatch to the rain minnows?

#14 ·
Night

Is the best time to hammer em, late afternoon at dusk with incoming tide an hour from high tide stand, the rain minnows will be around thick off the jetty ends on surf sides, its also one of the best big spec fishing times of the year, we light up the ends of the jetty off the boat and fill coolers with big trout --

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.