2 Cool Fishing Forum banner

Tarpon spinning set up

11K views 13 replies 9 participants last post by  topwatrout 
#1 ·
What spinning rod can I get at FTU to set up as a tarpon rods ? 7.5 or 8'
What line class 30 to 50 .

Already looking at 6000 size reel

Throwing coonpops or plugs mostly .

New to the tarpon game . Have caught several smaller ones but want a good set up .

Thanks

#3 ·
Seven foot rod is fine. Longer is better, but dealing with the longer rod and having room on the boat to cast, etc. are all considerations.

As far as reels go, you need to think about cost vs. long term durability and what you'll be happy with. If you are throwing **** pops, I'd suggest not going with a spinning reel. Level winds are best. I'd suggest a Calcutta CT700B. I use spinning set up for throwing smaller baits, like DOA style baits. I don't throw plugs. Lose too many fish and too many hooks flying around. Coast Hawks are great but we don't use those much anymore either.

Using a spinning reel, you pay for what you get. Long ago I realized I was replacing top dollar spinning reels every three or four years. I decided to spend twice as much and never have to replace one. Van Staal makes awesome reels. Best spinning reel made in my opinion and the best drag on a spinning reel made. I've whipped 90 lb yellowfins in less than five minutes and 140 lb tarpon in under fifteen minutes with a Van Staal VSB250. Van Staal has some newer reels out. The VM275 looks like a great reel. I am going to pick one up and try it as a spare. Will let you know.

#4 ·
Picking up a 6000 penn clash .remcommend from a guide buddy from Florida , I have room in my boat for a 7.5 or 8' rod . I have bait caster set up already with wind spinners seam to be an better option , freind also recommend 30 to 50 lb class rod , just not sure on Brand , I have FTU local to buy from , but would like some brands or models to look at .

Thanks for the info .

#6 ·
I've built a set of 7.5' Heavy Action 1-3oz 15-40lb spinning rod. These rods are awesome for throwing **** pops at Tarpon. I run mine with a 6000 series stradic loaded with 30lb braid. This setup works really well for jigging snapper and pitching for Cobia on the surface. It's a rare day that I don't bring it on the boat, because you just never know what you might run into. I'll post some pics but if you're interested I sell them at $225. They are just about indestructible as well.

***Edit*** For some reason those wraps show yellow, but they are in fact chartreuse with blue. It shows really nice and doesn't really look like it does on my screen.

#8 ·
I've built a set of 7.5' Heavy Action 1-3oz 15-40lb spinning rod. These rods are awesome for throwing **** pops at Tarpon. I run mine with a 6000 series stradic loaded with 30lb braid. This setup works really well for jigging snapper and pitching for Cobia on the surface. It's a rare day that I don't bring it on the boat, because you just never know what you might run into. I'll post some pics but if you're interested I sell them at $225. They are just about indestructible as well.
I'd say that's a little light there Capt. With so many spinning rig choices, I'd go with something that can comfortably handle 50 or 80 lb braid. I try not to use line 30lb test or lighter as much as possible. The goal is always to get the tarpon to the boat as fast as possible and get after another one. 30 lb line just drags it all out too much. All my spinning tackle has 80 braid on them with at least 50 lb rods. Also, as I mentioned before, spinners in my opinion are best used for lighter lures, like DOA's. ****-pops go on level winds like Calcutta TE-700's. I know some folks that are now using Avet, non-level wind reels with braid and doing good on those as well with pops.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.