2 Cool Fishing Forum banner

Tarpon in Caney Creek

22K views 42 replies 30 participants last post by  rtoler 
#1 ·
Anyone hear of the thousands of juvenile tarpon in Caney Creek last week?

Creek was full of 14" tarpon, even way up by the bridge.

Pretty cool - been down there all my life and had never seen/heard of this before - I did catch a small tarpon in the creek when I was a kid, but it was a solitary incident.

#41 · (Edited)
that is a nice one. congrats on the catch. Glad to see creek is in good shape. maybe when my thumb ( table saw accident) completely heals I can do some fishing. Some good pics of other good fish being posted also snook reds and trout

#42 ·
Was down there last weekend. Water was pretty fresh near Jackson's ditch. Bait Shad and mullet) was every where. Guy across the creek caught one tarpon Friday night on cut mullet. That fish jumped a good 4 feet out of the water. I estimate it was at least 24 inches long. Guy next to me swears kids were catching largemouth bass in that area because of the fresh water. I caught 1 redfish about 16 inches long. Teased some gar by pitching a live shad weightless in front of good sized gar. Fun watching them hit the shad.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.