2 Cool Fishing Forum banner

Trinidad Tarpon Fishing Charters

4K views 3 replies 3 participants last post by  Trouthappy 
#1 ·
Hi,
Any charter recommendations for Tarpon fishing in Trinidad? When is the peak season (I've heard July & August) ?

#2 ·
Tom Gibson, who owned the Texas state record tarpon for many years, told me he now only fishes Trinidad for tarpon. They have deep water holes only a couple hundred yards offshore, full of tarpon of all sizes. Said he taught the locals to use ribbonfish for bait, and that really increased tarpon hookups. I suppose Tom is still in Clear Lake, you should contact him about Trinidad. I just emailed him, to see if he would talk to you. And if Tom would mind visiting us in this forum. Last time I talked to him was 2013.

#4 ·
Tom called last night, said he's not a social media poster guy, but will talk to the OP about fishing Trinidad. Said this last trip, the tarpon kept eating a different, local live bait similar to a cigar minnow, which are plentiful there and will dive towards the bottom, when you cast them out—right through a school of tarpon. The tarpon hardly ate ribbonfish at all, except for one big tarp he caught and released.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.