smoking pork butts - 2CoolFishing
Home  |  Contact Us  |  Advertise   |   Follow:
Go Back   2CoolFishing > General Interest Forums > BBQ & Grilling Forum
Register FAQ Social Groups Calendar Mark Forums Read

Old 03-23-2020, 06:48 AM   #1
reel thing
Registered Users-pm+

reel thing has been promoted to Piratereel thing has been promoted to Piratereel thing has been promoted to Piratereel thing has been promoted to Piratereel thing has been promoted to Piratereel thing has been promoted to Piratereel thing has been promoted to Piratereel thing has been promoted to Piratereel thing has been promoted to Piratereel thing has been promoted to Piratereel thing has been promoted to Pirate
smoking pork butts

how do you smoke pork butts? Haven't ever smoked those? any suggestions appreciated. thanks
reel thing is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 03-23-2020, 09:10 PM   #2
McGuyver
Registered Users-pm+

McGuyver is a Landlubber (+10 to -10)
Coarse Salt and Pepper along with your favorite rub. Smoke at 225 to 250 on the temp. When internal temp hits 160 pull and wrap in two layers of hd foil. Put back on the pit and pull when internal hits 195. Keep wrapped and let it rest for an hour or two before pulling.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk Pro
McGuyver is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 03-24-2020, 11:07 AM   #3
RB II
Native Texan

RB II has been promoted to PirateRB II has been promoted to PirateRB II has been promoted to PirateRB II has been promoted to PirateRB II has been promoted to PirateRB II has been promoted to PirateRB II has been promoted to PirateRB II has been promoted to PirateRB II has been promoted to PirateRB II has been promoted to PirateRB II has been promoted to Pirate
The only things I would add to the above is I pull at around 205, just seems to "pull" much better. Also, inject with apple juice at a minimum. Really adds moisture to the finished product.

One of the best things to add to pulled pork is a good finishing sauce. You can google and come up with some good recipes.
RB II is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 03-24-2020, 11:13 AM   #4
LA_Cox
Registered Users-pm+

LA_Cox has been promoted to the rank of PrivateerLA_Cox has been promoted to the rank of PrivateerLA_Cox has been promoted to the rank of PrivateerLA_Cox has been promoted to the rank of PrivateerLA_Cox has been promoted to the rank of PrivateerLA_Cox has been promoted to the rank of PrivateerLA_Cox has been promoted to the rank of PrivateerLA_Cox has been promoted to the rank of PrivateerLA_Cox has been promoted to the rank of PrivateerLA_Cox has been promoted to the rank of PrivateerLA_Cox has been promoted to the rank of Privateer
I agree with the above...I just usually pull around 203. At 160 I wrap with pink butcher paper to keep the bark from turning soft. I also spray it every once in awhile with a 50/50 apple cider vinegar/apple juice mixture.

Late,
Cox
LA_Cox is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 03-25-2020, 11:26 AM   #5
fishinfool
Registered Users-pm+

fishinfool has been promoted to Piratefishinfool has been promoted to Piratefishinfool has been promoted to Piratefishinfool has been promoted to Piratefishinfool has been promoted to Piratefishinfool has been promoted to Piratefishinfool has been promoted to Piratefishinfool has been promoted to Piratefishinfool has been promoted to Piratefishinfool has been promoted to Piratefishinfool has been promoted to Pirate
good thing about pork butts is they are cheap and propobably the most forgiving /easy to cook good. almost impossible to screw up. ( i have proven it is possible though...over cooked by about 4 hours)

have fun with them...
fishinfool is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 03-27-2020, 08:45 AM   #6
wavygravy
Registered Users-pm+

wavygravy has been promoted to the rank of QuarterMasterwavygravy has been promoted to the rank of QuarterMasterwavygravy has been promoted to the rank of QuarterMasterwavygravy has been promoted to the rank of QuarterMasterwavygravy has been promoted to the rank of QuarterMasterwavygravy has been promoted to the rank of QuarterMasterwavygravy has been promoted to the rank of QuarterMasterwavygravy has been promoted to the rank of QuarterMasterwavygravy has been promoted to the rank of QuarterMasterwavygravy has been promoted to the rank of QuarterMasterwavygravy has been promoted to the rank of QuarterMaster
As mentioned above, tough to f up a butt. Recently I've been liking to cut mine in half and cook till 203, no wrapping to get a crunchy crust. Cooks faster with the smaller size and the crunchy bits are what everyone is fighting over.

All the above works tho, foil, paper, nothing. Good piece of meat to learn your smoker on.
wavygravy is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 03-27-2020, 05:08 PM   #7
JohnR
Registered Users-pm+

JohnR has been promoted to the rank of GunnerJohnR has been promoted to the rank of GunnerJohnR has been promoted to the rank of GunnerJohnR has been promoted to the rank of GunnerJohnR has been promoted to the rank of GunnerJohnR has been promoted to the rank of GunnerJohnR has been promoted to the rank of GunnerJohnR has been promoted to the rank of GunnerJohnR has been promoted to the rank of GunnerJohnR has been promoted to the rank of GunnerJohnR has been promoted to the rank of Gunner
I agree with above techniques. With may increasing age I've refined my method. After the meat reaches 140 degrees, it will not take anymore smoke flavor. I smoke mine for 6 hours at 225-250. After 6 hours I put the butt in a foil pan with a liquid mix of 2 parts apple juice, 1 part soy sauce and 1 part Worcestershire sauce (spritz with this mix), cover with foil and place in 250 degree over for 6 hours. I only have to tend the pit for 6 hours. The wrapped butt in the liquid will be tender and moist. I freeze the pulled pork in quart zip-lock bags with the juice from the pan. No way is wrong as long as the pork butt taste good.
JohnR is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 03-27-2020, 09:56 PM   #8
RB II
Native Texan

RB II has been promoted to PirateRB II has been promoted to PirateRB II has been promoted to PirateRB II has been promoted to PirateRB II has been promoted to PirateRB II has been promoted to PirateRB II has been promoted to PirateRB II has been promoted to PirateRB II has been promoted to PirateRB II has been promoted to PirateRB II has been promoted to Pirate
Quote:
Originally Posted by JohnR View Post
I agree with above techniques. With may increasing age I've refined my method. After the meat reaches 140 degrees, it will not take anymore smoke flavor. I smoke mine for 6 hours at 225-250. After 6 hours I put the butt in a foil pan with a liquid mix of 2 parts apple juice, 1 part soy sauce and 1 part Worcestershire sauce (spritz with this mix), cover with foil and place in 250 degree over for 6 hours. I only have to tend the pit for 6 hours. The wrapped butt in the liquid will be tender and moist. I freeze the pulled pork in quart zip-lock bags with the juice from the pan. No way is wrong as long as the pork butt taste good.
But what about drinking beer those last many hours. The wife would want me to mow the yard or some ****. I will tend the fire thank you. LOL.

BTW, look up "fat separator" cups. Pour in the fat laden drippings, pour out the magnificent au jus of the pork butt You can thank me now. I have won money using those sans fat drippings!!!!!
RB II is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 03-28-2020, 04:34 PM   #9
JohnR
Registered Users-pm+

JohnR has been promoted to the rank of GunnerJohnR has been promoted to the rank of GunnerJohnR has been promoted to the rank of GunnerJohnR has been promoted to the rank of GunnerJohnR has been promoted to the rank of GunnerJohnR has been promoted to the rank of GunnerJohnR has been promoted to the rank of GunnerJohnR has been promoted to the rank of GunnerJohnR has been promoted to the rank of GunnerJohnR has been promoted to the rank of GunnerJohnR has been promoted to the rank of Gunner
My wife does not disturb me while I cook, I have my own stove in my shop and do not smell up her kitchen with smoked meat. I often get lost in my 15 acre back yard mowing down to the creek. My mower has bottle holder on it and a 6-pack cooler fits between my feet. I just ride to the far hill and sip a brew. As long as she can hear the mower I'm safe! We all have our ways to escape!! Happy Smoking!
JohnR is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message