Kamado Joe Cooker-Ideas - 2CoolFishing
Home  |  Contact Us  |  Advertise   |   Follow:
Go Back   2CoolFishing > General Interest Forums > BBQ & Grilling Forum
Register FAQ Social Groups Calendar Mark Forums Read

Old 02-27-2020, 09:04 AM   #1
SD Hawkins
Registered Users-pm+

SD Hawkins has been promoted to PirateSD Hawkins has been promoted to PirateSD Hawkins has been promoted to PirateSD Hawkins has been promoted to PirateSD Hawkins has been promoted to PirateSD Hawkins has been promoted to PirateSD Hawkins has been promoted to PirateSD Hawkins has been promoted to PirateSD Hawkins has been promoted to PirateSD Hawkins has been promoted to PirateSD Hawkins has been promoted to Pirate
Kamado Joe Cooker-Ideas

Got the classic this year after Christmas. Learning curve was a little funny but now I get the temp I want and leave it closed. I have done ribs, chicken, pork butts, and lastly meatloaf last week, best I ever had.

Did have a fail on a batch of beef jerky, tasted totally acrid, threw it all away and went to Academy and got a dehydrator for $43, I had one before that heating element went bad but I like jerky so I got one.

Just looking for some that have one and some ideas. I have never been good at brisket, came out" boiled" to me most times. I think I can conquer one with this cooker.

John Seltzer knows his stuff for sure!!
SD Hawkins is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 02-27-2020, 09:51 AM   #2
Jerry713
Registered Users-pm+

Jerry713 has been promoted to Gunners first mate (soon to be full share Gunner)Jerry713 has been promoted to Gunners first mate (soon to be full share Gunner)Jerry713 has been promoted to Gunners first mate (soon to be full share Gunner)Jerry713 has been promoted to Gunners first mate (soon to be full share Gunner)Jerry713 has been promoted to Gunners first mate (soon to be full share Gunner)Jerry713 has been promoted to Gunners first mate (soon to be full share Gunner)Jerry713 has been promoted to Gunners first mate (soon to be full share Gunner)Jerry713 has been promoted to Gunners first mate (soon to be full share Gunner)Jerry713 has been promoted to Gunners first mate (soon to be full share Gunner)Jerry713 has been promoted to Gunners first mate (soon to be full share Gunner)Jerry713 has been promoted to Gunners first mate (soon to be full share Gunner)
Smoked meatloaf is amazing!

Cooking briskets is not hard to do. You should give it a shot.

What temp do you like to run it at?
Jerry713 is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 02-27-2020, 11:17 AM   #3
gigem87
Lord, beer me strength!

gigem87 has been promoted to Pirategigem87 has been promoted to Pirategigem87 has been promoted to Pirategigem87 has been promoted to Pirategigem87 has been promoted to Pirategigem87 has been promoted to Pirategigem87 has been promoted to Pirategigem87 has been promoted to Pirategigem87 has been promoted to Pirategigem87 has been promoted to Pirategigem87 has been promoted to Pirate
Pizza!

Sent from my SM-G975U using Tapatalk
gigem87 is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 02-27-2020, 12:32 PM   #4
68rustbucket
Registered Users-pm+

68rustbucket is a Landlubber (+10 to -10)
SD, would you mind sharing the recipe for smoked meat loaf?
68rustbucket is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 02-27-2020, 10:36 PM   #5
Mikeg77583
Experience is the best teacher

Mikeg77583 has been promoted to PirateMikeg77583 has been promoted to PirateMikeg77583 has been promoted to PirateMikeg77583 has been promoted to PirateMikeg77583 has been promoted to PirateMikeg77583 has been promoted to PirateMikeg77583 has been promoted to PirateMikeg77583 has been promoted to PirateMikeg77583 has been promoted to PirateMikeg77583 has been promoted to PirateMikeg77583 has been promoted to Pirate
Over the top chilli is a popular choice also get you a griddle attachment and try smash burgers. Also sale a rotisserie you can spin some yard bird. Another popular choice for Kamado’s is pizza. Lots of possibilities. I own 3 big joes.
Mikeg77583 is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 03-02-2020, 05:30 AM   #6
karstopo
Taking shots at fish

karstopo has been promoted to Piratekarstopo has been promoted to Piratekarstopo has been promoted to Piratekarstopo has been promoted to Piratekarstopo has been promoted to Piratekarstopo has been promoted to Piratekarstopo has been promoted to Piratekarstopo has been promoted to Piratekarstopo has been promoted to Piratekarstopo has been promoted to Piratekarstopo has been promoted to Pirate
I have the Big Green Egg and I believe those are along the same lines as the Kamado Joe.

I cook on my BGE generally 2-3 times a week. Made chicken wings Friday night. Baked chicken wings from the website Dinner at the Zoo. Follow the recipe, just set up the cooker at indirect heat at 400 degrees. Made hamburgers Saturday night, direct heat, closer to 500 degrees and keep the lid closed until it’s time to flip or risk flame ups.

Get an aftermarket cast iron grill if you don’t already have one as those direct heat grill food 1000% better than stainless steel.

I blacken redfish on my BGE. Get a cast iron shallow skillet. I use a Comal type. Make the skillet smoking hot right on top of the grill and follow a Paul prudhomme recipe. Takes about 2-3 minutes per side on the fish, very quick cook.

I do 600-650 degree filet, beef tenderloin steaks. Got to know your cooker and where to place the meat. Looking for a good sear without burning. High heat, but not too much direct although it’s set up for direct.

These Kamado style cookers are ovens, grills, smokers, even stove tops all rolled into one device. Grill vegetables, shrimp, pork chops, bake chicken or Pork or a pizza, smoke brisket or a pork butt. On indirect cooks, you just want to make sure to control the fat drip so it doesn’t get into the charcoal. Jalapeño poppers are great on these. I put them at the very edge of the grill so as not to burn the bacon and keep the temperature down some or if you have a ton of those go indirect heat.
karstopo is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 03-02-2020, 10:37 AM   #7
SD Hawkins
Registered Users-pm+

SD Hawkins has been promoted to PirateSD Hawkins has been promoted to PirateSD Hawkins has been promoted to PirateSD Hawkins has been promoted to PirateSD Hawkins has been promoted to PirateSD Hawkins has been promoted to PirateSD Hawkins has been promoted to PirateSD Hawkins has been promoted to PirateSD Hawkins has been promoted to PirateSD Hawkins has been promoted to PirateSD Hawkins has been promoted to Pirate
Quote:
Originally Posted by 68rustbucket View Post
I just used Johns off the KJ site.

I lined a bread pan with foil to do mine, telling you it was best I ever ever had. Called for BBQ sauce on top and I was not a fan of that as when wife pours ketchup on hers, it grosses me out!! It worked well.
SD Hawkins is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 03-03-2020, 08:58 AM   #8
Jerry713
Registered Users-pm+

Jerry713 has been promoted to Gunners first mate (soon to be full share Gunner)Jerry713 has been promoted to Gunners first mate (soon to be full share Gunner)Jerry713 has been promoted to Gunners first mate (soon to be full share Gunner)Jerry713 has been promoted to Gunners first mate (soon to be full share Gunner)Jerry713 has been promoted to Gunners first mate (soon to be full share Gunner)Jerry713 has been promoted to Gunners first mate (soon to be full share Gunner)Jerry713 has been promoted to Gunners first mate (soon to be full share Gunner)Jerry713 has been promoted to Gunners first mate (soon to be full share Gunner)Jerry713 has been promoted to Gunners first mate (soon to be full share Gunner)Jerry713 has been promoted to Gunners first mate (soon to be full share Gunner)Jerry713 has been promoted to Gunners first mate (soon to be full share Gunner)
Quote:
Originally Posted by 68rustbucket View Post
Here's my recipe. In the pic the sauce looks really thick but it's not. I don't like too much sauce.

Smoked Meatloaf

Prep time- 30 minutes
Cook time- 2 hours
Smoker temp- 250
Meat finish temp- 160
Wood- Post Oak

2 tablespoons butter
1/2 cup green onions (ends & greens)
2 cloves garlic, fined diced
3/4 cup onion, finely diced
1/4 cup celery, finely diced
1/3 cup barbecue sauce
1.5 pounds 80/20 ground chuck
3/4 pound spicy ground breakfast sausage
4 tablespoons Fiesta Garlic Pepper seasoning
1 tablespoon yellow mustard
2 large eggs slightly beaten
1 cup bread crumbs
1/4 cup parsley, finely chopped

In a skillet add butter and onions and sauté. Set aside and let cool. In a large mixing bowl mix ground chuck, ground sausage, slightly beaten eggs, bread crumbs, chopped parsley, Garlic Pepper, barbecue sauce and cooled onions together and mix until combined. Do not over work the meat as it will make the meat tough. Place mixture into greased pie pan, cover with plastic wrap and place in fridge for 2 hours or up to overnight to firm it up. Turn over pie pan and place meatloaf on foiled rack and set in smoker. When internal temperature is at 135 brush on barbecue sauce to top and sides of meatloaf. Remove from smoker when internal temperature is at 155. Let rest for 20 minutes. Slice and serve.
Attached Images

Jerry713 is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message