2 Cool Fishing Forum banner

Need some help or advice on how you quit

5K views 13 replies 11 participants last post by  dirtdobber 
#1 ·
Morning all, I'm at a crossroads. I'm 47 years old and have been Dippin snuff since I was 9, I quit smiling around 1999 but cannot put the Copenhagen down. When I was in service it got real bad in the middle east and I hit 3 cans a day and now I'm around 2 cans. I've tried to stop but always fall back to it. Just wondering how yall have dropped the can habit.
It's bad now I used to be able to wait till after morning g chow but now it's the first thing I do and I find even if I feel like **** sick as a dog I still have to have it. My wife n kids even hide or toss my cans I've found out. But doing what I do I don't always eat but that hagen always keeps me goin.
Any info or advise is appreciated.
Cold turkey won't work it just made me meaner!!!
STP

#4 ·
I chewed and or dipped for almost 40 years. Right after Tony Gwynn died, in 2014, from complications of the salivary glands and reading an article on Curt Schillings struggle with cancer, a friend and I began talking about quitting. I had tried a few times over the years but always went back to it. We both went “Cold Turkey” one day and kept each other in check for the next year or so. It’s been 3 years and neither of us have fallen from the wagon. I’m not sure the urge will ever go away, but it is much easier now than it was the first month or so. I can only guess that having someone keep me in check and me doing the same for him may have finally got me to the point where I believe I am finally done with it.

#7 ·
I quit smoking years ago, and it was really tough. Nicotine is a very strange drug, it gets you up if you are down, and relaxes you if you are wired.

Just my theory, but felt anything was better than continuing to smoke. From what I hear, snuff is every bit as bad.

I didn't worry amount money, because my health was more important. I applied a fresh 21 mg nicotine patch each morning. I did this for quite awhile (Much longer than directions said), feeling that although I was getting nicotine still, it wasn't as unhealthy as smoking. Your craving for nicotine isn't bad because you are getting it, and this enables to to get past the many other habits associated with tobacco.

After a long while I started using 14 mg patches, again for a long time.

When time to step down to 7mg patches, I used a 14 cut in half, which does save money over 7's, applying the other half the next morning.

I did this 20 years ago. There is zero doubt in my mind that I would be dead now if I hadn't stopped.

Chantix has proven so helpful to many, that it I had to do it over, I would probably use Chantix in addition to patches.

My thought very often was: "Smoking (snuff) will kill me, quitting won't."

#9 ·
Quitting

February will be seven years for me off the snuff and last month was two years with no alcohol. I quit cold turkey on both and the alcohol was easy the snuff took time. Can't tell you how many full cans Inthrough away getting frustrated and then one day after throwing a can away it stuck, never purchased another can. The first couple of weeks is the toughest and be prepared to eat a lot. Gum, peppermints and having a toothpick or kitchen match in my mouth helped ease the cravings. You'll get frustrated like we all have but one day it will stick.
Good luck with it, you can do it!

#14 ·
I chew the green stride gum. I started Copenhagen at 12 years old I was doing two cans a day. I quit cold turkey at 44 in may of 2011 I think Copenhagen is one of the hardest things to quit. Its been six years and I don't crave it. It doesn't bother me if other people are around me doing it. It takes around two weeks to get all the nicotine out of your body. I have quit before for three months and ended up going back to it. I would just tell myself I'm going to just take a dip because I want one not because I have to have it. next thing you know I was back on it full time. Now I don't even know I have ever done it other than the memories. I'm around guys who dip every day and its not even on my mind anymore its just something they do. Hang in there its just a matter of time before you get used to not having it. I was ready to fight with the devil every morning when I woke up. Now that I look back its a shame that little ole can of snuff can do that to a man. when you want a dip just put another piece of gum in your mouth.

#10 ·
Nicotine gum, and you may also try that smokey mountain stuff they make. It's just like snuff, with no nicotine/chemicals. It don't taste the best, but it's not that bad. My brother in law used the nicotine gum and he's been free of it for almost 7 years now.

The hardest part will be not having it while you are fishing/hunting. We can probably all agree, there's nothing like putting one in when you get to the water.. Just gotta deal with it man! Gum, sunflower seeds, anything.. Cope is **** near $6 a can now! Just think, put $6 that would usually go to a can in a jar everyday.. Once it's all saved up, go get you a nice rod/reel or something! good incentive.

There's also some stuff that I've tried before just for the hell of it called Cowboy Coffee Chew. You have to order it online, but it really is some good stuff to be honest. It's literally coffee grounds with honey and sugar, and it's **** good. That could probably help too.

Good luck, if you need anything PM me!

#13 ·
I drank 7 days a week from the time I woke up until I passed out. in 1991 pushed a drink away at the bar and said I quit. ( I was ready ) was tough but been sober since. I have dipped for over 40 years. After dental implants I said I quit. March 2017.. Put beach towels on the bed for night sweats. over the nicotine withdrawls now, but still miss it very much. Have an almond between my cheek and gum now..lol.. But I will never have to take another dip. Good luck buddy it is no joke and it is Hard.BUT..do able

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.