Insight Genesis botom composition - 2CoolFishing
Home  |  Contact Us  |  Advertise   |   Follow:
Go Back   2CoolFishing > Saltwater Fishing Forums > General Fishing Discussion
Register FAQ Social Groups Calendar Mark Forums Read

Old 08-15-2017, 09:24 PM   #1
aktxla
Registered Users-pm+

aktxla has been promoted to Pirateaktxla has been promoted to Pirateaktxla has been promoted to Pirateaktxla has been promoted to Pirateaktxla has been promoted to Pirateaktxla has been promoted to Pirateaktxla has been promoted to Pirateaktxla has been promoted to Pirateaktxla has been promoted to Pirateaktxla has been promoted to Pirateaktxla has been promoted to Pirate
Insight Genesis botom composition

Out in WGB yesterday and decided to record my Lowrance sonar data. When I discovered that I couldn't upload it to Navionics (apparently Lowrance won't let them) I uploaded it to Insight Genesis. I found out that they compute (or attempt to) bottom composition and "vegetation". I was intrigued - at first - but when looking at my data it showed the bottom to be "hard" virtually everywhere and I can promise you there are places that I recorded data that I KNOW the bottom is SOFT - like in really nasty mud. I also noticed that it interpreted oyster reefs as "vegetation" in a number of places. So my interest quickly took a nose dive as I'm not sure I believe the interpretation. Would be great if it was real, but.....
Anybody out there attempt to "ground truth" the Insight interpretations? Since I've never tried this before, I guess it's possible that my sonar settings were not correct????
Depth/contour maps looked just fine but not the interpreted data.
aktxla is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 08-20-2017, 09:09 PM   #2
fieldsfishing
Registered Users-pm+

fieldsfishing has been promoted to the rank of Riggerfieldsfishing has been promoted to the rank of Riggerfieldsfishing has been promoted to the rank of Riggerfieldsfishing has been promoted to the rank of Riggerfieldsfishing has been promoted to the rank of Riggerfieldsfishing has been promoted to the rank of Riggerfieldsfishing has been promoted to the rank of Riggerfieldsfishing has been promoted to the rank of Riggerfieldsfishing has been promoted to the rank of Riggerfieldsfishing has been promoted to the rank of Riggerfieldsfishing has been promoted to the rank of Rigger
On your lowrance with a compatible navionics card, you should turn sonar logging on and the sonar logs will save to your navionics chart card. After you are finished logging, you can then put your chip into your computer and the navionics chart viewer will pop up. You can then upload your sonar logs which will go into a navionics update.
fieldsfishing is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 08-20-2017, 11:58 PM   #3
aktxla
Registered Users-pm+

aktxla has been promoted to Pirateaktxla has been promoted to Pirateaktxla has been promoted to Pirateaktxla has been promoted to Pirateaktxla has been promoted to Pirateaktxla has been promoted to Pirateaktxla has been promoted to Pirateaktxla has been promoted to Pirateaktxla has been promoted to Pirateaktxla has been promoted to Pirateaktxla has been promoted to Pirate
Quote:
Originally Posted by fieldsfishing View Post
On your lowrance with a compatible navionics card, you should turn sonar logging on and the sonar logs will save to your navionics chart card. After you are finished logging, you can then put your chip into your computer and the navionics chart viewer will pop up. You can then upload your sonar logs which will go into a navionics update.
I can try that but I doubt that it makes any difference if the log is saved on the Navionics card or a separate card. Navionics rejected all of my logs because they were recorded on a "new" Lowrance machine that only outputs a proprietary format. In the rejection email they said older Lowrance units could still be used but not the new ones.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 08-21-2017, 09:39 AM   #4
troutsupport
Site Sponsor

troutsupport has been promoted to Piratetroutsupport has been promoted to Piratetroutsupport has been promoted to Piratetroutsupport has been promoted to Piratetroutsupport has been promoted to Piratetroutsupport has been promoted to Piratetroutsupport has been promoted to Piratetroutsupport has been promoted to Piratetroutsupport has been promoted to Piratetroutsupport has been promoted to Piratetroutsupport has been promoted to Pirate
I think you have to make sure you record the log in .gpx, seems I remember you have to set it up in settings to do that. Navionics won't take .usr so it has to be in .gpx
Old 08-22-2017, 08:06 AM   #5
aktxla
Registered Users-pm+

The navionics email said that if you export a gpx file from an updated lowrance machine it will have depth stripped out. Seems clear that lowrance is pushing people to Genesis.