Reds on 2lb Trilene? - 2CoolFishing
Home  |  Contact Us  |  Advertise   |   Follow:
Go Back   2CoolFishing > Saltwater Fishing Forums > Line Class Forum
Register FAQ Social Groups Calendar Mark Forums Read

Old 12-05-2011, 07:32 PM   #1
Coastalflyfisher
Registered Users-pm+

Coastalflyfisher is a Landlubber (+10 to -10)
Reds on 2lb Trilene?

So I have a friend who is sight casting to, and catching, Reds with a spinning rod and is throwing 1/8 oz. gold spoons with light line.

I'm up for that and thinking of trying with 2 lb. Trilene tied with a Bimini Twist to Frog Hair tippet 5X (3.7 lb test) leader.

Comments?

Is the 2 lb too small for Reds in shallow water?
Coastalflyfisher is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 12-05-2011, 09:47 PM   #2
TidalGuideCo
Registered Users-pm+

TidalGuideCo is a Landlubber (+10 to -10)
How are you fishing? boat, kayak, wade? I fish 8 lb suffix all day long for reds up to 20 plus pounds. The only issue being trim tabs if you are in a boat. They have foiled some very big fish on light tippet for me. Sounds like fun though. I would crush the barbs on the spoons since you will be breaking some fish off.
TidalGuideCo is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 12-05-2011, 10:21 PM   #3
Coastalflyfisher
Registered Users-pm+

I will be wading.

Yes, I always bend the barbs back and while I am at it, sharpen the hooks.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 12-06-2011, 04:45 PM   #4
Capt. Hooky
Captain Todd Dempsey

Capt. Hooky has been promoted to PirateCapt. Hooky has been promoted to PirateCapt. Hooky has been promoted to PirateCapt. Hooky has been promoted to PirateCapt. Hooky has been promoted to PirateCapt. Hooky has been promoted to PirateCapt. Hooky has been promoted to PirateCapt. Hooky has been promoted to PirateCapt. Hooky has been promoted to PirateCapt. Hooky has been promoted to PirateCapt. Hooky has been promoted to Pirate
Man, you guys are aweesome if you can catch a red on 2 lb test. I always use 12, and I have had very good luck with it!
Capt. Hooky is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 12-06-2011, 07:33 PM   #5
Coastalflyfisher
Registered Users-pm+

Well....we will see if it works. The real reason why I want to use small line is so that I can cast a 1/8 oz spoon a respectable distance.
Old 12-06-2011, 10:13 PM   #6
Jean Scurtu
Registered Users-pm+

Jean Scurtu has been promoted to PirateJean Scurtu has been promoted to PirateJean Scurtu has been promoted to PirateJean Scurtu has been promoted to PirateJean Scurtu has been promoted to PirateJean Scurtu has been promoted to PirateJean Scurtu has been promoted to PirateJean Scurtu has been promoted to PirateJean Scurtu has been promoted to PirateJean Scurtu has been promoted to PirateJean Scurtu has been promoted to Pirate
Reds on 2lb Trilene

Fishing with FIRELINE SMOKE 4LB +14LB fluorocarbon leader on the bank at ROLLOVER PASS,TEXAS i was catching with jig and GULP MINNOW GRUB CHARTREUSE 3 inch,one red fish 40inch,23lb.(C&R).
Reel ABU CARDINAL STAMINA DRAG 600UL.
Jean Scurtu is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 12-16-2011, 10:43 PM   #7
TooShallow
Registered Users-pm+

TooShallow has been promoted to PirateTooShallow has been promoted to PirateTooShallow has been promoted to PirateTooShallow has been promoted to PirateTooShallow has been promoted to PirateTooShallow has been promoted to PirateTooShallow has been promoted to PirateTooShallow has been promoted to PirateTooShallow has been promoted to PirateTooShallow has been promoted to PirateTooShallow has been promoted to Pirate
I have caught them on 6lb and a good sized red (26"+) just takes too long to land (10 minutes or more). I have no problem getting good distance with 8lb line and 1/8 oz baits and the fish come to hand much quicker.
TooShallow is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 12-22-2011, 01:55 PM   #8
Jean Scurtu
Registered Users-pm+

Jean Scurtu has been promoted to PirateJean Scurtu has been promoted to PirateJean Scurtu has been promoted to PirateJean Scurtu has been promoted to PirateJean Scurtu has been promoted to PirateJean Scurtu has been promoted to PirateJean Scurtu has been promoted to PirateJean Scurtu has been promoted to PirateJean Scurtu has been promoted to PirateJean Scurtu has been promoted to PirateJean Scurtu has been promoted to Pirate
Quote:
Originally Posted by Jean Scurtu View Post
Fishing with FIRELINE SMOKE 4LB +14LB fluorocarbon leader on the bank at ROLLOVER PASS,TEXAS i was catching with jig and GULP MINNOW GRUB CHARTREUSE 3 inch,one red fish 40inch,23lb.(C&R).
Reel ABU CARDINAL STAMINA DRAG 600UL.
You can see this catch in :

http://www.fishingworld.com/News/Rea...rtID=000010715

Thanks to ED SNYDER!!!
Jean Scurtu is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 12-29-2011, 01:35 AM   #9
pezhed618
Registered Users-pm+

pezhed618 has been promoted to Piratepezhed618 has been promoted to Piratepezhed618 has been promoted to Piratepezhed618 has been promoted to Piratepezhed618 has been promoted to Piratepezhed618 has been promoted to Piratepezhed618 has been promoted to Piratepezhed618 has been promoted to Piratepezhed618 has been promoted to Piratepezhed618 has been promoted to Piratepezhed618 has been promoted to Pirate
I use 4 lb - have been tryin to go to 2, but keep gettin lazy. let us know how it works out!
pezhed618 is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 01-04-2012, 09:43 PM   #10
27contender
Humble Wet Liner

27contender has been promoted to Pirate27contender has been promoted to Pirate27contender has been promoted to Pirate27contender has been promoted to Pirate27contender has been promoted to Pirate27contender has been promoted to Pirate27contender has been promoted to Pirate27contender has been promoted to Pirate27contender has been promoted to Pirate27contender has been promoted to Pirate27contender has been promoted to Pirate
I have used 2lb test to catch reds in shallow water. It was back in the 90's when all the little spinners had rear drags. it held 95 yards of 4 or 6. The drags were pretty spotty. I went to 2lb just to see what it was like. Hook sets were a problem. I was using M1 mirror lures. Multiple fish hitting the same lure was a problem. I went to exposed hooks in Slug-Os. My best morning I strung 3 30"ers before 7 am. My best fish that trip was 39" I have no idea on weight. It did not know it was hooked. I was splashing trying to get it to spook. It did right between me and the 3 30"s on the stringer. I had to do some fancy foot work to rip around without getting a hook in the leg. I had to run the fish down twice to keep line on the spool. The fish was pretty tired when I subdued it. I released it, but based on what I know now I question if it survived.

The new reals have much better front drags. I can whip them now on 6lb test without much problem. I went back to 6 lb because it seemed to tie more reliable knots. I do loose a few at hook set (line or hook parts ways with fish). I moved my 9 year old son up to 8 lb test and I am amazed at the difference it makes. I like the trilene XL tied directly to the lure. I retied after every fish. I never could master the leader to line connection with 2lb test where I did not break the 2 making the knot. 6 does fine coupled to 12 or 20.

I will say this nothing inshore beats the hummmmm of the light line strung tight to a big red in shallow water. I think they fight harder. More than one morning of my life I have looked over to see Dad hooked up, patiently coaxing a big red to hand while listening to the hummmmm on my own line. Off in the distance there would be more groups of birds working low to the water. I knew on those days we would get our fish easy.

R
27contender is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message