Wrapping brisket question - Page 5 - 2CoolFishing
Home  |  Contact Us  |  Advertise   |   Follow:
Go Back   2CoolFishing > General Interest Forums > BBQ & Grilling Forum
Register FAQ Social Groups Calendar Mark Forums Read

Old 05-28-2019, 09:50 AM   #41
kweber
Registered Users-pm+

kweber has been promoted to Piratekweber has been promoted to Piratekweber has been promoted to Piratekweber has been promoted to Piratekweber has been promoted to Piratekweber has been promoted to Piratekweber has been promoted to Piratekweber has been promoted to Piratekweber has been promoted to Piratekweber has been promoted to Piratekweber has been promoted to Pirate
well …
I never wrap...
season, good garlic salt and blk pepper.. fat down first flip at 1 hr
over direct thin coals 300 or less..
my fire is away from my brick pit
turn and sop often..
sop is fat and vinegar...
I like to use good lard and vin w/ onion and lemon
my brisket is vey hands on and I
always have a large bed of MQ coals to regulate heat under my grate
500 gal butane tank cut long-ways for a top with D'Hanis Brick Co. hollow tile sides...never tried, but it'd probably hold a dozen/18 briskets easy..
this is the style of the brick bbq pits you see at city parks and churchyards around here..
have been part of a crew that once did 1500lbs shoulder clods for a church picnic...
as good of BBQ as any...

we do it a little different than the dry season/ stick stuffers

Last edited by kweber; 05-28-2019 at 09:56 AM.
kweber is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 08-17-2019, 07:56 AM   #42
DoveBucket
Registered Users-pm+

DoveBucket has been promoted to the rank of SwabbieDoveBucket has been promoted to the rank of SwabbieDoveBucket has been promoted to the rank of SwabbieDoveBucket has been promoted to the rank of SwabbieDoveBucket has been promoted to the rank of SwabbieDoveBucket has been promoted to the rank of SwabbieDoveBucket has been promoted to the rank of SwabbieDoveBucket has been promoted to the rank of SwabbieDoveBucket has been promoted to the rank of SwabbieDoveBucket has been promoted to the rank of SwabbieDoveBucket has been promoted to the rank of Swabbie
Fat side UP. I wrap or don’t wrap depends on my mood that day but if I wrap I use butcher paper and wrap at around 175 or 180. I cook to 202 or so but must be probe tender. My smoker is a Weber Ranch Kettle which is actually a charcoal grill but also a darn good smoker. I use B&B or HEB oak briquettes and snake method to achieve a consistent temp of around 250. Salt and pepper rub only 50/50 by volume. Briskets turn our great! We have brisket ever Sunday for dinner and at most Aggie football game tailgates. For the tailgates, I smoke the briskets overnight on Friday putting them on around midnight. Good luck!
DoveBucket is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 01-25-2020, 07:21 PM   #43
SamG
Registered Users-pm+

SamG is a Landlubber (+10 to -10)
I always cook fat side down because I don't have a great pit and the flames can lick the bottom of the meat from the fire box
rap in foil to finish up.
SamG is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 01-26-2020, 07:37 PM   #44
bowmansdad
Registered Users-pm+

bowmansdad has been promoted to Piratebowmansdad has been promoted to Piratebowmansdad has been promoted to Piratebowmansdad has been promoted to Piratebowmansdad has been promoted to Piratebowmansdad has been promoted to Piratebowmansdad has been promoted to Piratebowmansdad has been promoted to Piratebowmansdad has been promoted to Piratebowmansdad has been promoted to Piratebowmansdad has been promoted to Pirate
Now I’m really confused! Briskets absolutely kick my rear, it’s gotten to the point I won’t even attempt one. Everything else I can cook without issues, use my BGE or my pellet grill which replaced my stick burner. I’m tempted to try again but cook the point and flat separately, pulling when each is tender. Any thoughts on this approach?
bowmansdad is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 01-26-2020, 08:14 PM   #45
BretE
It ain't easy bein me.........

BretE has been promoted to PirateBretE has been promoted to PirateBretE has been promoted to PirateBretE has been promoted to PirateBretE has been promoted to PirateBretE has been promoted to PirateBretE has been promoted to PirateBretE has been promoted to PirateBretE has been promoted to PirateBretE has been promoted to PirateBretE has been promoted to Pirate
Quote:
Originally Posted by bowmansdad View Post
Now I’m really confused! Briskets absolutely kick my rear, it’s gotten to the point I won’t even attempt one. Everything else I can cook without issues, use my BGE or my pellet grill which replaced my stick burner. I’m tempted to try again but cook the point and flat separately, pulling when each is tender. Any thoughts on this approach?

Try this.....get a prime brisket and rub it with salt and pepper. Set your pellet cooker to 250. Put it on, fat side down. When your temp probe slides in like butter, pull it, wrap in foil and let it rest for an hour or so. I guarantee it’ll be good...

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
BretE is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 01-26-2020, 08:54 PM   #46
themadhunter
Fish, hunt, sleep

themadhunter has been promoted to the rank of Riggerthemadhunter has been promoted to the rank of Riggerthemadhunter has been promoted to the rank of Riggerthemadhunter has been promoted to the rank of Riggerthemadhunter has been promoted to the rank of Riggerthemadhunter has been promoted to the rank of Riggerthemadhunter has been promoted to the rank of Riggerthemadhunter has been promoted to the rank of Riggerthemadhunter has been promoted to the rank of Riggerthemadhunter has been promoted to the rank of Riggerthemadhunter has been promoted to the rank of Rigger
Quote:
Originally Posted by Leo View Post
I've been wrapping in foil forever with good results. Decided to get a roll of butcher paper and give it a go. Like most, the meat is cooked fat side up so the question is when you wrap, do you leave the fat on top or flip it so the meat doesn't soak in the fat? I have always flipped it so what do the pro's here do?

If you put the fat down, it will end up sticking to the butchers paper and being ripped off when you unwrap it. Go fat up and let that goodness soak in a little more

themadhunter is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 01-26-2020, 09:01 PM   #47
bowmansdad
Registered Users-pm+

bowmansdad has been promoted to Piratebowmansdad has been promoted to Piratebowmansdad has been promoted to Piratebowmansdad has been promoted to Piratebowmansdad has been promoted to Piratebowmansdad has been promoted to Piratebowmansdad has been promoted to Piratebowmansdad has been promoted to Piratebowmansdad has been promoted to Piratebowmansdad has been promoted to Piratebowmansdad has been promoted to Pirate
Quote:
Originally Posted by BretE View Post
Try this.....get a prime brisket and rub it with salt and pepper. Set your pellet cooker to 250. Put it on, fat side down. When your temp probe slides in like butter, pull it, wrap in foil and let it rest for an hour or so. I guarantee it’ll be good...

Thanks, Bret, I’ll give it a try!
bowmansdad is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 01-26-2020, 09:20 PM   #48
BretE
It ain't easy bein me.........

BretE has been promoted to PirateBretE has been promoted to PirateBretE has been promoted to PirateBretE has been promoted to PirateBretE has been promoted to PirateBretE has been promoted to PirateBretE has been promoted to PirateBretE has been promoted to PirateBretE has been promoted to PirateBretE has been promoted to PirateBretE has been promoted to Pirate
Quote:
Originally Posted by bowmansdad View Post
Thanks, Bret, I’ll give it a try!

No problem...I’m not a big pellet cooker fan but cook on one at the ranch I hunt. They’re a lot easier due to a lot more constant temp and they will produce delicious meat. I’m just hard headed! I don’t normally cook fat side down either but it seems to work better on the pellet cooker. Don’t worry so much about internal temp of the brisket. When it probes like butter, it’s done!....good luck and let us know how it goes...

BretE is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 01-27-2020, 07:27 AM   #49
Jerry713
Registered Users-pm+

Jerry713 has been promoted to Gunners first mate (soon to be full share Gunner)Jerry713 has been promoted to Gunners first mate (soon to be full share Gunner)Jerry713 has been promoted to Gunners first mate (soon to be full share Gunner)Jerry713 has been promoted to Gunners first mate (soon to be full share Gunner)Jerry713 has been promoted to Gunners first mate (soon to be full share Gunner)Jerry713 has been promoted to Gunners first mate (soon to be full share Gunner)Jerry713 has been promoted to Gunners first mate (soon to be full share Gunner)Jerry713 has been promoted to Gunners first mate (soon to be full share Gunner)Jerry713 has been promoted to Gunners first mate (soon to be full share Gunner)Jerry713 has been promoted to Gunners first mate (soon to be full share Gunner)Jerry713 has been promoted to Gunners first mate (soon to be full share Gunner)
Quote:
Originally Posted by Category5 View Post
Fat does not drizzle down into the meat if cooked fat up, just lets moisture seep out.
Yep true stuff. As mentioned there's more than one way to cook a brisket and up or down depends primarily on your cooker. But when cooking fat side up the juices do not seep down through the meat. That's a mith.

Wrapping in foil works if you do it right. Go to any sanctioned bbq cook comp and you'll see half or more cookers wrapping in foil. Most folks make the mistake of wrapping it too soon and it steams off the seasoning and some of the flavor. I cook briskets almost 2/3 of the time unwrapped and them wrap in foil. I've tried pink butcher paper many times but for me foil wrapped briskets are juicer. I never have a problem not having bark.
Attached Images

Jerry713 is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message