Wahoo Tackle - 2CoolFishing
Home  |  Contact Us  |  Advertise   |   Follow:
Go Back   2CoolFishing > Bluewater Forums > Bluewater Board (Recreational Fishing)

Old 11-28-2004, 01:32 PM   #1
Jfreeman
Registered Users-pm+

Jfreeman has been promoted to PirateJfreeman has been promoted to PirateJfreeman has been promoted to PirateJfreeman has been promoted to PirateJfreeman has been promoted to PirateJfreeman has been promoted to PirateJfreeman has been promoted to PirateJfreeman has been promoted to PirateJfreeman has been promoted to PirateJfreeman has been promoted to PirateJfreeman has been promoted to Pirate
Wahoo Tackle

I would like to try some wahoo fishing the next time out, I have never fished for wahoo before. What size and type of lures, leader material, leader length, etc. I heard the wahoo fishing is very good during the winter around the flower gardens and stetson rock. Any help would be greatly appreciated.
Jfreeman is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 11-28-2004, 03:47 PM   #2
Pope
Registered Users-pm+

Pope has been promoted to the rank of SwabbiePope has been promoted to the rank of SwabbiePope has been promoted to the rank of SwabbiePope has been promoted to the rank of SwabbiePope has been promoted to the rank of SwabbiePope has been promoted to the rank of SwabbiePope has been promoted to the rank of SwabbiePope has been promoted to the rank of SwabbiePope has been promoted to the rank of SwabbiePope has been promoted to the rank of SwabbiePope has been promoted to the rank of Swabbie
Get a nice 6.5-8ft 30-40lb casting rod and at least a 6:1 reel and cast iron, bombs, etc. Cast, count to 10 and reel as fast as possible. Watch out as they will hit it on the fall as well. I don't like long leaders. 18" is plenty. You can also troll and use this method after a strike. You will probably get nailed by one of a few fish traveling with the troll fish.

Pope
www.texasfishreport.com
Pope is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 11-28-2004, 03:51 PM   #3
agulhas
Registered Users-pm+

agulhas has disabled reputation
i think purple/black works well on a deep running plug like rapala or yozuri. troll fast 8-10 or faster. you can't outrun them. winter is great month and one of the fishing mags (nice big tuna on the cover) has an article this month on fishing for hoo on the texas coast. around jan they move further south.

last good hoo we caught was in may (not this year) at tall rocks. free lined frozen sardine. we were fishing for kings.
agulhas is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 11-28-2004, 03:54 PM   #4
mcgolfer
Registered Users-pm+

mcgolfer has been promoted to the rank of Chief Matemcgolfer has been promoted to the rank of Chief Matemcgolfer has been promoted to the rank of Chief Matemcgolfer has been promoted to the rank of Chief Matemcgolfer has been promoted to the rank of Chief Matemcgolfer has been promoted to the rank of Chief Matemcgolfer has been promoted to the rank of Chief Matemcgolfer has been promoted to the rank of Chief Matemcgolfer has been promoted to the rank of Chief Matemcgolfer has been promoted to the rank of Chief Matemcgolfer has been promoted to the rank of Chief Mate
rig your baits with about 18 inches of wire or cable. we fish wahoo bombs in assorted colors, braid marauders in dark colors, williamson baitomatics in assorted colors with dead bait or bonita strip attached, mann's stretch 30's and stretch 50's in assorted colors, and rigged ballyhoo with and without skirts. pull at 7 knots or faster. if your trolling the flower garden area for wahoo be prepared for big amberjacks to hit your bait. if running the stretch's you may have to slow down a little if they start running poorly...rick
mcgolfer is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 11-29-2004, 09:07 AM   #5
James Howell
Registered Users-pm+

James Howell has been promoted to PirateJames Howell has been promoted to PirateJames Howell has been promoted to PirateJames Howell has been promoted to PirateJames Howell has been promoted to PirateJames Howell has been promoted to PirateJames Howell has been promoted to PirateJames Howell has been promoted to PirateJames Howell has been promoted to PirateJames Howell has been promoted to PirateJames Howell has been promoted to Pirate
two words- live bait.
James Howell is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 11-29-2004, 09:34 AM   #6
Crossroads
Registered Users-pm+

Crossroads has been promoted to PirateCrossroads has been promoted to PirateCrossroads has been promoted to PirateCrossroads has been promoted to PirateCrossroads has been promoted to PirateCrossroads has been promoted to PirateCrossroads has been promoted to PirateCrossroads has been promoted to PirateCrossroads has been promoted to PirateCrossroads has been promoted to PirateCrossroads has been promoted to Pirate
My wife caught the first Wahoo landed on my boat last August near Southern. We were free lining some dead sardines while drifting, looking for Kings or any type of action. Although I don't troll much (get bored) I'm going to start trolling for Wahoo this winter since that's more comfortable in all this rough water. I plan on trying big Marauders, big RattleTraps, and some jet heads. From Southern to Hospital Rock to the Baker's area should hold some Wahoo if you're departing Port Aransas.
Crossroads is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 11-29-2004, 02:34 PM   #7
CHARLIE
Registered Users-pm+

CHARLIE has disabled reputation
Re Wahoo

Try the Flower Gardens in January. Start near the top about 60 feet of water and work out to 3 to 4 hundred feet of water. Always watch for bait on your bottom machine. You find the fish (lots of time) around the bait. If you get too shallow you catch the darn barracudas. They will drive you nuts. Pick the color jig you want. We do better on the lime green or chartruse. When you hook up try casting with some type of bait, live or otherwise cause there are normally more hoos traveling in that pack and you might get another one while landing the one you hooked while trolling. Good luck.

Charlie
CHARLIE is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 11-29-2004, 05:13 PM   #8
Pope
Registered Users-pm+

Pope has been promoted to the rank of SwabbiePope has been promoted to the rank of SwabbiePope has been promoted to the rank of SwabbiePope has been promoted to the rank of SwabbiePope has been promoted to the rank of SwabbiePope has been promoted to the rank of SwabbiePope has been promoted to the rank of SwabbiePope has been promoted to the rank of SwabbiePope has been promoted to the rank of SwabbiePope has been promoted to the rank of SwabbiePope has been promoted to the rank of Swabbie
You may also try trolling just behind the prop wash.

Pope
www.texasfishreport.com
Pope is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 11-29-2004, 11:40 PM   #9
Santiago
Registered Users-pm+

Santiago is a Landlubber (+10 to -10)
Zebco 202 and a mud minnow! Never fails!
Santiago is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 12-06-2004, 11:30 AM   #10
parrothead823
Registered Users-pm+

parrothead823 is a Landlubber (+10 to -10)
Wahoo Tackle

You touched on one of my favorite subjects! If I am specifically targeting wahoo and tuna, I troll at a fairly fast clip 8-10knots. I have found that dragging a medium black/purple Braid Maurrauder right behind the transom, maybe 15 ft' max. works really well. Wahoo will practically chew the paint off the transom to get to that lure. Just make sure you have heavy tackle, 80lb at least with 100lb even better.

When you get a bite, get the other lures in quickly as one angler is fighting the fish. Then turn the boat slowly towards the side the fish bit on. If it bit on the stbd side, then turn to stbd. Likewise to port if it was on the port side. Then take the boat out of gear and start casting. Often you will hook a second or third fish doing this.

And for god's sakes wind right through the bite. Don't set the hook! Wind until the fish is taking line. And whatever you do, keep turning the handle unless the fish is taking line.

Casting for hoos is one of my favorite things! I particularly like a Raider 125+ on 40 or 50lb. The Trinidad 20 with 60lb spectra and a 50 yard top shot is a great little hoo reel. Or if you are like me and you don't want to spend that kind of money, use a Newell 533 with the fast retrieve. Some people say 8' rods like the calstar 800h or 6480 are necessary. Im not convinced. I use a 6'10 custom built rod for this duty. Most of your hoos will eat very close to the boat.

Casting the iron is something you can also do when you are anchored up and chumming. I like to str8 tie the iron to a double line. you will also catch tuna and dorado that way. Depending on how deep you are, you will also catch kings and amberjacks. I caught a 50lb kingfish doing this last year.

Good luck.
parrothead823 is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message