Double Down Deer Feed- Holden Pasture Deer Lease- Cactus Flat Ranch Live Thread 2019 - Page 82 - 2CoolFishing
Home  |  Contact Us  |  Advertise   |   Follow:
Go Back   2CoolFishing > Hunting and Shooting Forums > Hunting Board
Register FAQ Social Groups Calendar Mark Forums Read

Old 01-12-2020, 01:34 AM   #811
broadonrod

broadonrod has been promoted to Piratebroadonrod has been promoted to Piratebroadonrod has been promoted to Piratebroadonrod has been promoted to Piratebroadonrod has been promoted to Piratebroadonrod has been promoted to Piratebroadonrod has been promoted to Piratebroadonrod has been promoted to Piratebroadonrod has been promoted to Piratebroadonrod has been promoted to Piratebroadonrod has been promoted to Pirate
Holden Pasture Deer Lease

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mikeyhunts View Post
You know I can do it lol!

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
This guy smacked him a couple management bucks this week.
He shoots straight just don’t let him do any videoing! 🤣
What a blast! We have sure met some great folks here on 2Cool over the years!
Attached Images

Advertisement

Old 01-12-2020, 07:35 AM   #812
jtburf
Back in da Saddle

jtburf has been promoted to Piratejtburf has been promoted to Piratejtburf has been promoted to Piratejtburf has been promoted to Piratejtburf has been promoted to Piratejtburf has been promoted to Piratejtburf has been promoted to Piratejtburf has been promoted to Piratejtburf has been promoted to Piratejtburf has been promoted to Piratejtburf has been promoted to Pirate
Culling is as important as all other aspects of Management!!

Good job!!

John
jtburf is online now   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 01-12-2020, 09:38 AM   #813
Mikeyhunts
Registered Users-pm+

Mikeyhunts has been promoted to PirateMikeyhunts has been promoted to PirateMikeyhunts has been promoted to PirateMikeyhunts has been promoted to PirateMikeyhunts has been promoted to PirateMikeyhunts has been promoted to PirateMikeyhunts has been promoted to PirateMikeyhunts has been promoted to PirateMikeyhunts has been promoted to PirateMikeyhunts has been promoted to PirateMikeyhunts has been promoted to Pirate
Handsome fella. And the deer look good too

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
Mikeyhunts is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 01-12-2020, 09:52 AM   #814
c hook
Registered Users-pm+

c hook has been promoted to Piratec hook has been promoted to Piratec hook has been promoted to Piratec hook has been promoted to Piratec hook has been promoted to Piratec hook has been promoted to Piratec hook has been promoted to Piratec hook has been promoted to Piratec hook has been promoted to Piratec hook has been promoted to Piratec hook has been promoted to Pirate
tarpon right

Quote:
Originally Posted by jtburf View Post
Culling is as important as all other aspects of Management!!

Good job!!

John
exactly, and you by all means don't want those fork horns beeding your does. My question is why do you wait so long (as in age of deer)to cull out the inferiors?? Are you unable to truely identify this earlier on in age??
c hook is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 01-14-2020, 01:29 AM   #815
broadonrod

broadonrod has been promoted to Piratebroadonrod has been promoted to Piratebroadonrod has been promoted to Piratebroadonrod has been promoted to Piratebroadonrod has been promoted to Piratebroadonrod has been promoted to Piratebroadonrod has been promoted to Piratebroadonrod has been promoted to Piratebroadonrod has been promoted to Piratebroadonrod has been promoted to Piratebroadonrod has been promoted to Pirate
Double Down Deer Feed

Quote:
Originally Posted by c hook View Post
exactly, and you by all means don't want those fork horns beeding your does. My question is why do you wait so long (as in age of deer)to cull out the inferiors?? Are you unable to truely identify this earlier on in age??
Many bucks may look inferior but carry a strong gene. It’s really hard to explain without pictures of deer year to year to talk about it. We see bucks say 130” with the same genetics as really good bucks we have taken 190-200” range. They look the same just not as good. Maybe a bad doe but still carrying a good gene. That probably didn’t make sense. Lol
Maybe 1/2 bad so to speak. In the wild without manipulating genetics there’s no room for mistakes. I tell people all the time. On a free range ranch you can always take deer off but you can’t put them back so take your time.
Long and the short is we are just very cautious on what we cull.
I’ve seen some crazy things happen year to year. We cull mostly off of “frame” more so than points. For example this year we left a 7 point strictly because he is 26” wide this is the 3rd year we have left this buck to breed.
He’s got short brows, short tines but long beams and a wide 26” spread. Probably score 130.
He lives at the same blind we have a 30 point buck well in the 200s.
The 30 point buck is only 17” wide. I’m really hoping that 26” wide 7 point found that 30 pointers sister and makes a wide 12-16 point offspring.
I guess what I’m saying is I’m an opportunist more than a ranch manager.
We really like to give deer the full opportunity to show their maximum potential.
With year round feed deer live to older ages and many times don’t show their true potential until 8-9-10 years old even older for some.
On the other hand just as many may fail at 9-10 years old. They all age differently just like people. We are seeing a major improvement in our overall younger deer being raised from a fawn on our feed program so we are now raising the bar on “culls” and trying to take the ranch to the next level. In my honest opinion there are no true culls. You never know what the mother or father to an inferior looking deer may be out of.
Like I said it’s really hard to explain in a short write up.
If I had a choice without worrying about too many deer per acre. I would not shoot any culls or does over a hard aggressive management plan if that makes sense. When I say to many deer per acre for example we guessed we were at a deer per 3-5 acres this year on average. Some areas of the ranch do have more deer than other parts of the ranch.
I guess the longer they live the more we feel we have given them a full chance to show their potential.
The bigger the culls get the bigger the smiles on the friends and families faces.
That being said I guess we kinda raise culls for friends and family just a little older and bigger than many other ranches allow. I think we took around 60 -70 bucks and 125-130 does this season off 13800 acres. That’s a LOT for us.
This really might not make sense in writing. It’s hard to put it into perspective with what’s been written and preached about whitetail management over the past 30 years. I know our plan is different but its just a plan that we feel has been working for us.

Also we had a sad deal today.
Found these 2 monsters locked up and dead. That really sucked!
At least it was post rut and hopefully their genetics will live on.
Sure hated seeing this.
Attached Images

Old 01-14-2020, 06:24 AM   #816
sundownbrown
Registered Users-pm+

sundownbrown has been promoted to Piratesundownbrown has been promoted to Piratesundownbrown has been promoted to Piratesundownbrown has been promoted to Piratesundownbrown has been promoted to Piratesundownbrown has been promoted to Piratesundownbrown has been promoted to Piratesundownbrown has been promoted to Piratesundownbrown has been promoted to Piratesundownbrown has been promoted to Piratesundownbrown has been promoted to Pirate
Man what a waste, hate to see that, but can you imagine the fight those big dudes had. Hope yall are gonna keep the skulls locked up like that and display them at the camp.
sundownbrown is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 01-14-2020, 07:23 AM   #817
chuck richey
Team Purple Haze

chuck richey has been promoted to Piratechuck richey has been promoted to Piratechuck richey has been promoted to Piratechuck richey has been promoted to Piratechuck richey has been promoted to Piratechuck richey has been promoted to Piratechuck richey has been promoted to Piratechuck richey has been promoted to Piratechuck richey has been promoted to Piratechuck richey has been promoted to Piratechuck richey has been promoted to Pirate
That sucks. Would have to be a bad way to go.
chuck richey is online now   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 01-14-2020, 07:29 AM   #818
WillieT
Registered Users-pm+

WillieT has been promoted to PirateWillieT has been promoted to PirateWillieT has been promoted to PirateWillieT has been promoted to PirateWillieT has been promoted to PirateWillieT has been promoted to PirateWillieT has been promoted to PirateWillieT has been promoted to PirateWillieT has been promoted to PirateWillieT has been promoted to PirateWillieT has been promoted to Pirate
It’s really sad to see such quality deer suffer and go to waste. Mother Nature can be very cruel sometimes.
WillieT is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 01-14-2020, 08:29 AM   #819
ROBOWADER
Registered Users-pm+

ROBOWADER has been promoted to PirateROBOWADER has been promoted to PirateROBOWADER has been promoted to PirateROBOWADER has been promoted to PirateROBOWADER has been promoted to PirateROBOWADER has been promoted to PirateROBOWADER has been promoted to PirateROBOWADER has been promoted to PirateROBOWADER has been promoted to PirateROBOWADER has been promoted to PirateROBOWADER has been promoted to Pirate
Quote:
Originally Posted by sundownbrown View Post
Man what a waste, hate to see that, but can you imagine the fight those big dudes had. Hope yall are gonna keep the skulls locked up like that and display them at the camp.
That would be cool!
ROBOWADER is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 01-14-2020, 09:53 AM   #820
c hook
Registered Users-pm+

c hook has been promoted to Piratec hook has been promoted to Piratec hook has been promoted to Piratec hook has been promoted to Piratec hook has been promoted to Piratec hook has been promoted to Piratec hook has been promoted to Piratec hook has been promoted to Piratec hook has been promoted to Piratec hook has been promoted to Piratec hook has been promoted to Pirate
tarpon wow

the one buck looks like a 200 class.
c hook is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message