2 Cool Fishing Forum banner

Metal Detecting?

5K views 19 replies 18 participants last post by  bigdav160 
#1 ·
Any partake of the hobby? Is so, what type of places are you searching?

#2 ·
i have an old White's detector and a whole shoebox full of change and pretty much rusted junk pistols and such.

huge amnt of fun

kind of a dec jan feb hobby around here because of the weeds and 'nakes

best places are the ones that haven't been shot before, old ranch homesteads, private property.

#6 ·
I have a Garrett GTI 2500. It has been a great machine.
I have found stuff all over the US with it.
Junk of course
Gold nuggets
Civil war
Modern stuff
Change
Rings etc.
other really cool things
I take spells where I use it a lot and then not for a long while.
Fun Hobby
Mine has easily paid for itself and provided me with a lot of enjoyment using it and searching for stuff.

Www.kellyco.com

#9 ·
There are some outrageous finds shown on Youtube, guys wearing GoPro cameras who find handfuls of old gold coins in creeks, and hidden in the yards of old homes. People didn't trust the banks back then, for some reason. It's enough to make you want to borrow a metal detector and hit the fields. Hard to get on private property, it takes some diplomacy for sure.

Check out these videos:

http://www.youtube.com/results?search_query=finding+gold+coins+metal+detecting

#10 ·
I think it was on a Kellyco newsletter, where guys detecting an old homestead found thousands of coins that had been buried. The containers had long ago rusted away, and what was left was a glob of coins fused together. The coins filled a wheelbarrow. The family had asked these guys to search, because they had always heard of the buried loot.

#11 ·
Invested in a Garrett Ace 250 last year from Kellyco.com and love it! Still working on the 6 acres of land we bought last year and learning to dig clean plugs. The down side is that every time I start digging, our lab picks up the habit right along with me. I have requested a permit to detect on Corp of Engineers property near by but have not gotten a response yet.

#13 ·
Mrs puddle shuttle, they say it is easier to ask for forgiveness than beg for permission angelsm. Practice at your own risk......
Under many circumstances I would agree...with the exception of raping federal property. With in the MD'ing community, that is a big no-no! I will have to believe them. I just cannot imagine explaining to my cell mate that I got locked up for stealing soda pull tabs from Corp property...lol :eek:h: I could think of better reasons to go to jail :redface:

#14 ·
Its just like fishing. Learn the equip, learn where your looking, then you can sort out junk from treasure. The biggest thing is learning your machine. Bury coins taped to popcicle sticks at diff depths and note the signal changes. Your wedding ring too. Iron is everywhere, to dig or not to dig is the question always.

#15 ·
Just about to start using my Garret. If you buy a detector Caughtonacrab is spot on. You aren't going to really learn this device until you go out and put the time on it in the field.

Before doing that though: Don't ignore the CD Garrett sends with their detectors. Being new to this, the video explained all the features and techniques better than the printed manual.

The simulated "finds" he mentions burying really help you learn how to use the detectors ability to identify better exactly what is being detected down there. Before doing that I followed the videos advice and had my wife pass different types of metal across the search coil. Doing that cemented in the audio signal, visual signal and how to use the discrimination feature to block out junk.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.