reef plan is starting to roll - Page 2 - 2CoolFishing
Home  |  Contact Us  |  Advertise   |   Follow:
Go Back   2CoolFishing > Bluewater Forums > Bluewater Board (Recreational Fishing)

Old 02-19-2006, 12:36 AM   #11
BigGulp

BigGulp is a Landlubber (+10 to -10)
Quote:
Originally Posted by jim smarr
Would it surprise you to know that BRDs were implemented to reduce the
bycatch by 55% when the Hours a year Shrimped were at 177,000 or so now the Shrimping effort is around 77,000 hours a year before the storms as I understand. Seems to me total effort is down more than 55% much less bycatch so why are we looking at a cut in TAC in the Rec. sector????
Jim
That's an extremely good point, Jim. Has the Council been challenged on this point? If so, what is their response?

I say that this is all the more reason we need to take a Texas approach to solving the problem. Get the reef program going. Build our state stocks and we can regulate it ourselves.
BigGulp is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 02-19-2006, 01:19 AM   #12
jim smarr
Registered Users-pm+

jim smarr has been promoted to Piratejim smarr has been promoted to Piratejim smarr has been promoted to Piratejim smarr has been promoted to Piratejim smarr has been promoted to Piratejim smarr has been promoted to Piratejim smarr has been promoted to Piratejim smarr has been promoted to Piratejim smarr has been promoted to Piratejim smarr has been promoted to Piratejim smarr has been promoted to Pirate
Yes We Challenged them right out of the room on these issues. They were not pleased with the RFA questions. If the Shrimping effort is down more than 60% why do we have to be held accountable for another 40% reduction. What is the percentage if Industry is off say 60% to 70% over the last ten years then folks are saying BRD's are not working so we need another 40% reduction to maintain the TAC for the Recreational sector because the BRD's aren't working. Man I don't understand accounting procedure involved. Again there is good money in bad fishing.

Seems to a "Country Boy " like me these folks are a mere shadow of what they were as far as impacting the Snapper ten years ago. We need to fight over this accounting problem at NMFS. Seems their computer owes the Recrational Fishing Crowd some heffty credits before cutting our TAC. Remember the problem is in 0-2 year old Snapper. More 0-2 year old Snapper were found in and around the oil platforms than the Model gives us credit for in the entire GOM. Think about that one. Now they are saying 90% mortality in 0-1 yo so they are going to revise the way they run the model which kills the Recs again. If the man on the street knew how many descrepencies the Model has there would be a public flogging of NMFS and their PHd's.

Most folks believe what they tell us. You are WRONG if you don't look hard at their reports. They really look like swiss cheese under even a "Country Boys" review holes everywhere in the data. I have talked to Bill Hogarth until I turned blue as did thirty plus folks at an RFA sponsored meeting in Port Aransas a few years back. It took an Act of Congress to get him here literly. He gives the standard response we will look into it. We had him to Texas as I said years back to try to work through this mess you see where we are now. Not much help from brother Bill. He could surprise us and do the right thing. I am not holding my breath.

I feel any relief will come from the Secretary of Commerce and a fierce lobbying effort
in Washington over the next few months. Since RFA is a 501-c-4 we can dedicate 100% of our funding to the lobbying effort unlike 501-c-3's who are only to use as I understand it 10% of their funding to Lobby. Think about this before you support anyone claiming to Lobby for the Fisheries. WE have fought longlining all over the World at RFA. These guys are a huge problem to our fisheries at all levels targeting
breeders of all species.
jim smarr is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 02-19-2006, 10:00 AM   #13
manintheboat
Its easy to grin when your ship comes in

manintheboat has been promoted to Piratemanintheboat has been promoted to Piratemanintheboat has been promoted to Piratemanintheboat has been promoted to Piratemanintheboat has been promoted to Piratemanintheboat has been promoted to Piratemanintheboat has been promoted to Piratemanintheboat has been promoted to Piratemanintheboat has been promoted to Piratemanintheboat has been promoted to Piratemanintheboat has been promoted to Pirate
Jim,

It is time for another mass mailing of form letters to the Gulf council, don't you think? Any ideas on the second letter? Let's keep the pressure on these guys.
manintheboat is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 02-19-2006, 11:20 AM   #14
jim smarr
Registered Users-pm+

jim smarr has been promoted to Piratejim smarr has been promoted to Piratejim smarr has been promoted to Piratejim smarr has been promoted to Piratejim smarr has been promoted to Piratejim smarr has been promoted to Piratejim smarr has been promoted to Piratejim smarr has been promoted to Piratejim smarr has been promoted to Piratejim smarr has been promoted to Piratejim smarr has been promoted to Pirate
New Battle Cry - No cuts in Rec Tac -Shrimping total effort is down 60% to 70%

In light of new info we do need a mass mailing, phone calls and general civil unrest with the NMFS and Gulf of Mexico Fisheries Council accross the GOM and anyone else that thinks we need to further reduce bycatch to hold our Recreational TAC at current levels.

We do need a new letter. I will speak to the National RFA for their take on the new issues. National will have fun with this new turn of events in dealing with
Washington.
jim smarr is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message