kraut - 2CoolFishing
Home  |  Contact Us  |  Advertise   |   Follow:
Go Back   2CoolFishing > General Interest Forums > Recipes
Register FAQ Social Groups Calendar Mark Forums Read

Old 01-15-2017, 08:18 AM   #1
peckerwood
Registered Users-pm+

peckerwood has been promoted to Piratepeckerwood has been promoted to Piratepeckerwood has been promoted to Piratepeckerwood has been promoted to Piratepeckerwood has been promoted to Piratepeckerwood has been promoted to Piratepeckerwood has been promoted to Piratepeckerwood has been promoted to Piratepeckerwood has been promoted to Piratepeckerwood has been promoted to Piratepeckerwood has been promoted to Pirate
kraut

What's the best over-the-counter kraut? I love the stuff,and never had any I don't like.Is homemade enough better than store bought that I need to make my own? Would grocery store cabbage be ok ? Man I love sausage,kraut,German tater salad,and Bock beer. I never could develop a taste for blood sausage.
peckerwood is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 01-15-2017, 09:22 AM   #2
trout250
Registered Users-pm+

trout250 has been promoted to Piratetrout250 has been promoted to Piratetrout250 has been promoted to Piratetrout250 has been promoted to Piratetrout250 has been promoted to Piratetrout250 has been promoted to Piratetrout250 has been promoted to Piratetrout250 has been promoted to Piratetrout250 has been promoted to Piratetrout250 has been promoted to Piratetrout250 has been promoted to Pirate
there is a polish food store on blalock that has good kraut. We are having a missionary from Germany visit our church during mission conference and will be serving kraut, brats and rolls on sat. the 28.

Regular cabbage will make kraut, fellow in our church makes it in a 2 gal crock pot
trout250 is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 01-15-2017, 12:28 PM   #3
glenbo
Banned

glenbo has been promoted to Pirateglenbo has been promoted to Pirateglenbo has been promoted to Pirateglenbo has been promoted to Pirateglenbo has been promoted to Pirateglenbo has been promoted to Pirateglenbo has been promoted to Pirateglenbo has been promoted to Pirateglenbo has been promoted to Pirateglenbo has been promoted to Pirateglenbo has been promoted to Pirate
We're kraut lovers, and the best tasting, for us, is Kroger brand in a can.
glenbo is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 01-19-2017, 07:36 PM   #4
Meadowlark
Registered Users-PM plus

Meadowlark has been promoted to PirateMeadowlark has been promoted to PirateMeadowlark has been promoted to PirateMeadowlark has been promoted to PirateMeadowlark has been promoted to PirateMeadowlark has been promoted to PirateMeadowlark has been promoted to PirateMeadowlark has been promoted to PirateMeadowlark has been promoted to PirateMeadowlark has been promoted to PirateMeadowlark has been promoted to Pirate
Quote:
Originally Posted by peckerwood View Post
...Is homemade enough better than store bought that I need to make my own? ....
Well, based on one sample I'd say a resounding "yes". The only problem is putting up with the smell while the fermentation does its thing.

It is so easy to make...just hold your nose.
Meadowlark is online now   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 01-19-2017, 09:16 PM   #5
w_r_ranch
Got better things to do than play games

w_r_ranch has been promoted to Piratew_r_ranch has been promoted to Piratew_r_ranch has been promoted to Piratew_r_ranch has been promoted to Piratew_r_ranch has been promoted to Piratew_r_ranch has been promoted to Piratew_r_ranch has been promoted to Piratew_r_ranch has been promoted to Piratew_r_ranch has been promoted to Piratew_r_ranch has been promoted to Piratew_r_ranch has been promoted to Pirate
Quote:
Originally Posted by Meadowlark View Post
The only problem is putting up with the smell while the fermentation does its thing.
The smell isn't that bad, IMO... it's the fruit flies that show up.
w_r_ranch is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 01-20-2017, 11:48 AM   #6
Captain Dave
Standing on a Whale fishing for Minnows

Captain Dave has been promoted to PirateCaptain Dave has been promoted to PirateCaptain Dave has been promoted to PirateCaptain Dave has been promoted to PirateCaptain Dave has been promoted to PirateCaptain Dave has been promoted to PirateCaptain Dave has been promoted to PirateCaptain Dave has been promoted to PirateCaptain Dave has been promoted to PirateCaptain Dave has been promoted to PirateCaptain Dave has been promoted to Pirate
If you cant find it in a barrel at the Polska Store, Try Krakus or Bubbies. You probably find Bubbies easier..
Captain Dave is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 02-23-2017, 11:25 AM   #7
acoastalbender
Registered Users-pm+

acoastalbender has been promoted to Pirateacoastalbender has been promoted to Pirateacoastalbender has been promoted to Pirateacoastalbender has been promoted to Pirateacoastalbender has been promoted to Pirateacoastalbender has been promoted to Pirateacoastalbender has been promoted to Pirateacoastalbender has been promoted to Pirateacoastalbender has been promoted to Pirateacoastalbender has been promoted to Pirateacoastalbender has been promoted to Pirate
One of the simplest ways I know of to fix sour kraut and surprisingly tasty is to get a bag of dried split peas ... soak 'em overnight then cook 'em till they're so soft you could make mush out of it ... because that's what you're going to do (I have a potato masher with a cross hatch design that works really well, you might be able to put it in a blender ... IDK) Get it to where it's like a thick soup then mix it in with your favorite kraut ... don't drown the kraut, a little goes a long way ... that's it, you could salt and pepper to taste or throw in pieces of sausage ... I know you'll be surprised

acoastalbender is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 02-23-2017, 05:54 PM   #8
Supergas

Supergas has been promoted to PirateSupergas has been promoted to PirateSupergas has been promoted to PirateSupergas has been promoted to PirateSupergas has been promoted to PirateSupergas has been promoted to PirateSupergas has been promoted to PirateSupergas has been promoted to PirateSupergas has been promoted to PirateSupergas has been promoted to PirateSupergas has been promoted to Pirate
Idea I Buy Kraut At Janak's

I always stop at Janak's just west of Halletsville and get a grilled sausage with kraut & hot mustard sandwich and then pick up some sausage and kraut to take home..

Here is their website.

http://www.janakpacking.com/

They have a lot of good old fashioned Bohunk food items and a lot with no preservatives.

Supergas
Supergas is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 02-23-2017, 07:54 PM   #9
kweber
Registered Users-pm+

kweber has been promoted to Piratekweber has been promoted to Piratekweber has been promoted to Piratekweber has been promoted to Piratekweber has been promoted to Piratekweber has been promoted to Piratekweber has been promoted to Piratekweber has been promoted to Piratekweber has been promoted to Piratekweber has been promoted to Piratekweber has been promoted to Pirate
melt some butter in a skillet...
add some fine sliced onions and apples...
fry 'em till just soft...
dump in the kraut ...
stir well an and add fresh cracked black pepper...a bunch of it...
big splash a good amt of white wine in the skilliet and simmer covered up, then lid off to steam off most of the liquid...
serve w any kind of sausage and cooked taters...
my fav is chunked up boiled taters w/ butter and sour cream...
chives and what/ever is OK...
the salted water to cook taters is enuff salt
kweber is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 09-24-2017, 12:07 PM   #10
Sniper
Registered Users-pm+

Sniper has been promoted to PirateSniper has been promoted to PirateSniper has been promoted to PirateSniper has been promoted to PirateSniper has been promoted to PirateSniper has been promoted to PirateSniper has been promoted to PirateSniper has been promoted to PirateSniper has been promoted to PirateSniper has been promoted to PirateSniper has been promoted to Pirate
Just make your own, ferment it w/salt, I always loved going to Grams house cause she always had some. Use a clean bath towel to stop the fruit flies and odor.
Lots of recipes on the net for making it.
Sniper is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message