CAUTION! Offshore Angler Rod & Reel Cleaner!! - 2CoolFishing
Home  |  Contact Us  |  Advertise   |   Follow:
Go Back   2CoolFishing > General Interest Forums > Boating Forum
Register FAQ Social Groups Calendar Mark Forums Read

Old 01-25-2013, 08:31 AM   #1
Majekster
Registered Users-pm+

Majekster has been promoted to PirateMajekster has been promoted to PirateMajekster has been promoted to PirateMajekster has been promoted to PirateMajekster has been promoted to PirateMajekster has been promoted to PirateMajekster has been promoted to PirateMajekster has been promoted to PirateMajekster has been promoted to PirateMajekster has been promoted to PirateMajekster has been promoted to Pirate
CAUTION! Offshore Angler Rod & Reel Cleaner!!

Hey 2coolers, just wanted to make a detailed post of an issue I'm currently dealing with, trying to get SOMEONE to back their product and correct the problem.

I recently purchased a 16oz bottle of cleaner from Bass Pro Shops in Pearland - seemed to have good reviews, and maybe I just happened to get a bad batch, who knows - but here's what happened.

I just opened a brand new Shimano 50MG reel, that had been a safe queen up till then, and was intending on "babying" this reel, being that this model is one of my favorite all time reels.

I followed the instructions to a "T" and on first appearance, it seemed as if the reel cleaner was doing a fantastic job. It really made a good shine on the reel and was ridding of all the waterspots & salt build up....so, as stated on the label, this product was suitable for motors and other equipment, I decided to start cleaning my outboard cowling with it. I sprayed the Port side of the cowling, wiped it down. Got off the boat and was heading around to the other side & decided to pick up my reel to set it on my tackle box, I then noticed the reel felt "sticky" and looked down to see my FINGERPRINT in the paint...the cleaner has started to soften the paint and eat away at the clearcoat....it was too late for the reel & 2 weeks later, the paint is still easily scratched with a fingernail.

I then ran back to my 2-year old Suzuki 175 outboard & rushed to try and wipe off the cleaner......TOO LATE......it had already eaten away at the clearcoat on the cowling and it no longer has any shine to it.

I wrote Bass Pro Shops - they pointed me to Ardent Outdoors (the company who bottles all of the Bass Pro Shops "Offshore Angler" brand cleaners)....Ardent initially pointed me back to Bass Pro Shops, and then finally returned my call from the appropriate QA/QC manager. I have well documented everything and now they've requested that I send in the cleaner and my reel, so they can analyze what's wrong with the cleaner....I'll keep y'all posted.

.....FYI, I know there are plenty of "success" stories with this product, but my was FAR from that, and I'm writting this as a CAUTION for those of you who may be planning to try it.....BE SUPER CAREFUL.

Sure HOPE Ardent makes this right....time will tell.

Pics attached...
Attached Images

Majekster is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 01-25-2013, 08:51 AM   #2
gedavis2
Registered Users-pm+

gedavis2 has been promoted to Pirategedavis2 has been promoted to Pirategedavis2 has been promoted to Pirategedavis2 has been promoted to Pirategedavis2 has been promoted to Pirategedavis2 has been promoted to Pirategedavis2 has been promoted to Pirategedavis2 has been promoted to Pirategedavis2 has been promoted to Pirategedavis2 has been promoted to Pirategedavis2 has been promoted to Pirate
Looks like some serious solvent in that mix, thanks for the heads up.
gedavis2 is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 01-25-2013, 08:51 AM   #3
Majekster
Registered Users-pm+

Majekster has been promoted to PirateMajekster has been promoted to PirateMajekster has been promoted to PirateMajekster has been promoted to PirateMajekster has been promoted to PirateMajekster has been promoted to PirateMajekster has been promoted to PirateMajekster has been promoted to PirateMajekster has been promoted to PirateMajekster has been promoted to PirateMajekster has been promoted to Pirate
Quote:
Originally Posted by SlickWillie View Post
I think I would preserve a small amount of the product......you know, just in case they lose it.
I did - put about 2 ounces in a brand-new (non contaminated) tupperware container...hopefully I don't have to take it to a chemist to get a breakdown of chemicals in it, as I'm sure that'll be costly....I have a couple of old professors who may help me out at school... we'll see how they handle it @ Ardent.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 01-25-2013, 08:54 AM   #4
Muddskipper
fish control my brain

Muddskipper has been promoted to PirateMuddskipper has been promoted to PirateMuddskipper has been promoted to PirateMuddskipper has been promoted to PirateMuddskipper has been promoted to PirateMuddskipper has been promoted to PirateMuddskipper has been promoted to PirateMuddskipper has been promoted to PirateMuddskipper has been promoted to PirateMuddskipper has been promoted to PirateMuddskipper has been promoted to Pirate
I would not give up the liquid in the container

I would also file a claim against them, starting with a letter
Muddskipper is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 01-25-2013, 09:03 AM   #5
Majekster
Registered Users-pm+

Quote:
Originally Posted by Muddskipper View Post
I would not give up the liquid in the container

I would also file a claim against them, starting with a letter
Good Point on sending the original bottle back, not sure if I should do that right away, maybe send them the "sample" I took out of the bottle instead of the entire bottle & me keeping the sample.

I have started the process with contacting them but haven't discussed with a legal professional about it.
Old 01-25-2013, 09:05 AM   #6
Majekster
Registered Users-pm+

Quote:
Originally Posted by SlickWillie View Post
Tupperware? You don't think it might soften it too, possibly contaminating the sample.....or even leaking out. Like the other poster said.....serious solvents in there.
definitely serious solvents....A mason jar may be a better container, and I'm sure in their defense, a chemist could make a case for just about anything I put it in.

....Any Chemist's on here???
Old 01-25-2013, 09:27 AM   #7
HTownBoi281
Registered Users-pm+

HTownBoi281 has been promoted to PirateHTownBoi281 has been promoted to PirateHTownBoi281 has been promoted to PirateHTownBoi281 has been promoted to PirateHTownBoi281 has been promoted to PirateHTownBoi281 has been promoted to PirateHTownBoi281 has been promoted to PirateHTownBoi281 has been promoted to PirateHTownBoi281 has been promoted to PirateHTownBoi281 has been promoted to PirateHTownBoi281 has been promoted to Pirate
OUCH!! Thanks for the heads up!!
HTownBoi281 is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 01-25-2013, 09:48 AM   #8
kmv_ZX24
Registered Users-pm+

kmv_ZX24 has been promoted to Piratekmv_ZX24 has been promoted to Piratekmv_ZX24 has been promoted to Piratekmv_ZX24 has been promoted to Piratekmv_ZX24 has been promoted to Piratekmv_ZX24 has been promoted to Piratekmv_ZX24 has been promoted to Piratekmv_ZX24 has been promoted to Piratekmv_ZX24 has been promoted to Piratekmv_ZX24 has been promoted to Piratekmv_ZX24 has been promoted to Pirate
That sucks. I agree with the other suggestions of keeping the original container and sending them a sample.
kmv_ZX24 is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 01-25-2013, 09:59 AM   #9
BullyARed
Registered Users-pm+

BullyARed has been promoted to PirateBullyARed has been promoted to PirateBullyARed has been promoted to PirateBullyARed has been promoted to PirateBullyARed has been promoted to PirateBullyARed has been promoted to PirateBullyARed has been promoted to PirateBullyARed has been promoted to PirateBullyARed has been promoted to PirateBullyARed has been promoted to PirateBullyARed has been promoted to Pirate
Take them to court.
BullyARed is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 01-25-2013, 10:05 AM   #10
Majekster
Registered Users-pm+

Quote:
Originally Posted by BullyARed View Post
Take them to court.
Ha....easier said than done.