CAUTION...OFFSHORE ANGLER ROD & REEL CLEANER from BPS - 2CoolFishing
Home  |  Contact Us  |  Advertise   |   Follow:
Go Back   2CoolFishing > Saltwater Fishing Forums > Reel repair, maintenance, and upgrade forum
Register FAQ Social Groups Calendar Mark Forums Read

Old 01-25-2013, 08:23 AM   #1
Majekster
Registered Users-pm+

Majekster has been promoted to PirateMajekster has been promoted to PirateMajekster has been promoted to PirateMajekster has been promoted to PirateMajekster has been promoted to PirateMajekster has been promoted to PirateMajekster has been promoted to PirateMajekster has been promoted to PirateMajekster has been promoted to PirateMajekster has been promoted to PirateMajekster has been promoted to Pirate
Hairout CAUTION...OFFSHORE ANGLER ROD & REEL CLEANER from BPS

Hey 2coolers, just wanted to make a detailed post of an issue I'm currently dealing with, trying to get SOMEONE to back their product and correct the problem.

I recently purchased a 16oz bottle of cleaner from Bass Pro Shops in Pearland - seemed to have good reviews, and maybe I just happened to get a bad batch, who knows - but here's what happened.

I just opened a brand new Shimano 50MG reel, that had been a safe queen up till then, and was intending on "babying" this reel, being that this model is one of my favorite all time reels.

I followed the instructions to a "T" and on first appearance, it seemed as if the reel cleaner was doing a fantastic job. It really made a good shine on the reel and was ridding of all the waterspots & salt build up....so, as stated on the label, this product was suitable for motors and other equipment, I decided to start cleaning my outboard cowling with it. I sprayed the Port side of the cowling, wiped it down. Got off the boat and was heading around to the other side & decided to pick up my reel to set it on my tackle box, I then noticed the reel felt "sticky" and looked down to see my FINGERPRINT in the paint...the cleaner has started to soften the paint and eat away at the clearcoat....it was too late for the reel & 2 weeks later, the paint is still easily scratched with a fingernail.

I then ran back to my 2-year old Suzuki 175 outboard & rushed to try and wipe off the cleaner......TOO LATE......it had already eaten away at the clearcoat on the cowling and it no longer has any shine to it.

I wrote Bass Pro Shops - they pointed me to Ardent Outdoors (the company who bottles all of the Bass Pro Shops "Offshore Angler" brand cleaners)....Ardent initially pointed me back to Bass Pro Shops, and then finally returned my call from the appropriate QA/QC manager. I have well documented everything and now they've requested that I send in the cleaner and my reel, so they can analyze what's wrong with the cleaner....I'll keep y'all posted.

.....FYI, I know there are plenty of "success" stories with this product, but my was FAR from that, and I'm writting this as a CAUTION for those of you who may be planning to try it.....BE SUPER CAREFUL.

Sure HOPE Ardent makes this right....time will tell.

Pics attached...
Attached Images

Majekster is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 01-25-2013, 04:48 PM   #2
Drundel
Registered Users-pm+

Drundel has been promoted to PirateDrundel has been promoted to PirateDrundel has been promoted to PirateDrundel has been promoted to PirateDrundel has been promoted to PirateDrundel has been promoted to PirateDrundel has been promoted to PirateDrundel has been promoted to PirateDrundel has been promoted to PirateDrundel has been promoted to PirateDrundel has been promoted to Pirate
That sucks big time. I hope they try to make it right for you.
Drundel is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 02-01-2013, 11:05 AM   #3
MattK
Registered Users-pm+

MattK has been promoted to PirateMattK has been promoted to PirateMattK has been promoted to PirateMattK has been promoted to PirateMattK has been promoted to PirateMattK has been promoted to PirateMattK has been promoted to PirateMattK has been promoted to PirateMattK has been promoted to PirateMattK has been promoted to PirateMattK has been promoted to Pirate
Had a victim of this same stuff walk through the door this morning. He said he has sprayed this reel down with some "cleaner" and when he returned the following week the paint just smeared. I asked him if it was the BPS stuff and he said it was. Seems like this is a product to stay away from.

Fortunately for him we are going to give it a new paint job.

MattK is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 02-01-2013, 11:36 AM   #4
Just One More
Pathfinder 2200 TRS w/ 250 SHO

Just One More has been promoted to PirateJust One More has been promoted to PirateJust One More has been promoted to PirateJust One More has been promoted to PirateJust One More has been promoted to PirateJust One More has been promoted to PirateJust One More has been promoted to PirateJust One More has been promoted to PirateJust One More has been promoted to PirateJust One More has been promoted to PirateJust One More has been promoted to Pirate
Thanks for posting the warning for others, and I hope they take care of you.
Just One More is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 02-01-2013, 02:45 PM   #5
Majekster
Registered Users-pm+

Majekster has been promoted to PirateMajekster has been promoted to PirateMajekster has been promoted to PirateMajekster has been promoted to PirateMajekster has been promoted to PirateMajekster has been promoted to PirateMajekster has been promoted to PirateMajekster has been promoted to PirateMajekster has been promoted to PirateMajekster has been promoted to PirateMajekster has been promoted to Pirate

Man, that's horrible. I tell you what, I wish I would have never switched away from Reel Magic.....they just didn't have any when I came to get cleaner, so I ended up settling for this Bass Pro TRADEMARKED stuff....We'll see how it goes, I sent the reel & cleaner to Ardent this week, it arrived there today - who knows where it'll go from here. I filed a complaint with the BBB against Bass Pro, being that Bass Pro won't even talk to me anymore about it, they haven't responded yet (it's been 4 days)....I'll keep y'all posted.

I imagine, left unattended after spraying, it would have done the same thing to mine. Fortunately enough, I was able to "catch" it quickly & wipe off the 'cleaner' as soon as possible.

...for those that haven't used it, it's very similar to the consistency of milk. leaves a heavy amount on areas sprayed & you have to "lightly" wipe off according to the instructions.
Old 02-01-2013, 02:50 PM   #6
Majekster
Registered Users-pm+

cowling

wasn't sure if you could gather what I was talking about on the cowling, but on this picture, next to the flush plug, that portion used to be glossy black (like the rest of the engine) and it is now mostly all eaten away, feels rough to touch as if it actually "etched" the composite beneath the paint. The rest of the cowling where it was applied (port) side of outboard is all de-glossed where it ate away the clear coat. starboard side is shiny as a brand new gold tooth.......terrible.....terrible
Attached Images

Old 02-01-2013, 04:09 PM   #7
sea ray
Registered Users-pm+

sea ray has been promoted to Piratesea ray has been promoted to Piratesea ray has been promoted to Piratesea ray has been promoted to Piratesea ray has been promoted to Piratesea ray has been promoted to Piratesea ray has been promoted to Piratesea ray has been promoted to Piratesea ray has been promoted to Piratesea ray has been promoted to Piratesea ray has been promoted to Pirate
Sounds like the problems has affected others. Good luck on you dealings and thanks for posting the warning!
sea ray is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 02-08-2013, 03:11 PM   #8
MattK
Registered Users-pm+

MattK has been promoted to PirateMattK has been promoted to PirateMattK has been promoted to PirateMattK has been promoted to PirateMattK has been promoted to PirateMattK has been promoted to PirateMattK has been promoted to PirateMattK has been promoted to PirateMattK has been promoted to PirateMattK has been promoted to PirateMattK has been promoted to Pirate
Quote:
Originally Posted by MattK View Post
Had a victim of this same stuff walk through the door this morning. He said he has sprayed this reel down with some "cleaner" and when he returned the following week the paint just smeared. I asked him if it was the BPS stuff and he said it was. Seems like this is a product to stay away from.

Fortunately for him we are going to give it a new paint job.

I talked with Ardent about this issue and sent them the pics. They said only on other person from the Houston area has reported this problem.

On a positive note.... we got her all fixed up now

Old 02-08-2013, 04:11 PM   #9
Just One More
Pathfinder 2200 TRS w/ 250 SHO

Just One More has been promoted to PirateJust One More has been promoted to PirateJust One More has been promoted to PirateJust One More has been promoted to PirateJust One More has been promoted to PirateJust One More has been promoted to PirateJust One More has been promoted to PirateJust One More has been promoted to PirateJust One More has been promoted to PirateJust One More has been promoted to PirateJust One More has been promoted to Pirate
Looks awesome Matt. I checked out your website to get updated pricing on paint job. Still contemplating getting one done in pink for the wife. What is the approximate turn around?
Just One More is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 02-08-2013, 06:49 PM   #10
MattK
Registered Users-pm+

About 3 weeks.

Shoot me a pm when you're ready