TPWD scoping meetings for flounder December 10th, 11th 2019 - Page 3 - 2CoolFishing
Home  |  Contact Us  |  Advertise   |   Follow:
Go Back   2CoolFishing > Saltwater Fishing Forums > General Fishing Discussion
Register FAQ Social Groups Calendar Mark Forums Read

Old 12-11-2019, 10:02 AM   #21
mullet1422
Registered Users-pm+

mullet1422 has been promoted to Piratemullet1422 has been promoted to Piratemullet1422 has been promoted to Piratemullet1422 has been promoted to Piratemullet1422 has been promoted to Piratemullet1422 has been promoted to Piratemullet1422 has been promoted to Piratemullet1422 has been promoted to Piratemullet1422 has been promoted to Piratemullet1422 has been promoted to Piratemullet1422 has been promoted to Pirate
How are any changes going to matter when we're sandwiched between Louisiana and Mexico who basically have no regulations on flounder?
mullet1422 is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 12-11-2019, 10:21 AM   #22
fishinguy
Registered Users-pm+

fishinguy has been promoted to Piratefishinguy has been promoted to Piratefishinguy has been promoted to Piratefishinguy has been promoted to Piratefishinguy has been promoted to Piratefishinguy has been promoted to Piratefishinguy has been promoted to Piratefishinguy has been promoted to Piratefishinguy has been promoted to Piratefishinguy has been promoted to Piratefishinguy has been promoted to Pirate
Quote:
Originally Posted by Blutarsky View Post
I think the flounder gigging boat has had a very detrimental impact on the fishery. When I was a kid in the 70's you could walk with a lantern and see many flounder when the conditions were right. But there were no flounder boats back then. Now the numbers are so reduced that flounder gigging on foot is much less productive. My recommendation would be to reduce the daily limit to three, increase the minimum size to 17" (to give females one more spawning season), ban all gigging from boat, and at least temporarily eliminate commercial flounder fishing. Hopefully those changes along with an increased stocking program will improve the flounder fishery over time.

When is the last time that you have gone gigging?

Gigging is very minimal in the overall number of flounder harvest but TPWD/CCA need a bad guy they can point the finger at.
fishinguy is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 12-11-2019, 10:39 AM   #23
ReedA1691
Registered Users-pm+

ReedA1691 has been promoted to PirateReedA1691 has been promoted to PirateReedA1691 has been promoted to PirateReedA1691 has been promoted to PirateReedA1691 has been promoted to PirateReedA1691 has been promoted to PirateReedA1691 has been promoted to PirateReedA1691 has been promoted to PirateReedA1691 has been promoted to PirateReedA1691 has been promoted to PirateReedA1691 has been promoted to Pirate
Quote:
Originally Posted by fishinguy View Post

Gigging is very minimal in the overall number of flounder harvest but TPWD/CCA need a bad guy they can point the finger at.
I have gigged a few times a year for the last 5 years, on the boats of commercial license fisherman, top quality boats, and we have never NOT gotten our limits. We may have had to stay out for 5 hours to get them, but we got them.

One such trip, with 4 clients on the boat, we got our limit in about 3 hours. We went back to the dock by midnight, he cleaned the flounder and then he went back out to get his commercial 30. That's 50 from one boat in a single night.
ReedA1691 is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 12-11-2019, 02:17 PM   #24
Shalor96
Registered Users-pm+

Shalor96 has been promoted to the rank of BosunShalor96 has been promoted to the rank of BosunShalor96 has been promoted to the rank of BosunShalor96 has been promoted to the rank of BosunShalor96 has been promoted to the rank of BosunShalor96 has been promoted to the rank of BosunShalor96 has been promoted to the rank of BosunShalor96 has been promoted to the rank of BosunShalor96 has been promoted to the rank of BosunShalor96 has been promoted to the rank of BosunShalor96 has been promoted to the rank of Bosun
50 flounder a night has to have an impact...versus my incidental catch of about 2-3 per year fishing for trout in the landcut. 6 or 7 years ago it would be about 1 or 2 a day fishing the edge in the landcut...not anymore!
Shalor96 is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 12-11-2019, 02:43 PM   #25
Zeitgeist
Whose House? Coog's House!!!

Zeitgeist has been promoted to PirateZeitgeist has been promoted to PirateZeitgeist has been promoted to PirateZeitgeist has been promoted to PirateZeitgeist has been promoted to PirateZeitgeist has been promoted to PirateZeitgeist has been promoted to PirateZeitgeist has been promoted to PirateZeitgeist has been promoted to PirateZeitgeist has been promoted to PirateZeitgeist has been promoted to Pirate
Here is video of the Texas City meeting:

Zeitgeist is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 12-11-2019, 03:17 PM   #26
Muddskipper
fish control my brain

Muddskipper has been promoted to PirateMuddskipper has been promoted to PirateMuddskipper has been promoted to PirateMuddskipper has been promoted to PirateMuddskipper has been promoted to PirateMuddskipper has been promoted to PirateMuddskipper has been promoted to PirateMuddskipper has been promoted to PirateMuddskipper has been promoted to PirateMuddskipper has been promoted to PirateMuddskipper has been promoted to Pirate
Quote:

some gigging guides have a major impact on flounder - just look at their web-sites .... there might be some of them here on 2cool that AVG 5-7,000 fish per year.

that's one guide boat!
Muddskipper is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 12-11-2019, 04:16 PM   #27
fishinguy
Registered Users-pm+

fishinguy has been promoted to Piratefishinguy has been promoted to Piratefishinguy has been promoted to Piratefishinguy has been promoted to Piratefishinguy has been promoted to Piratefishinguy has been promoted to Piratefishinguy has been promoted to Piratefishinguy has been promoted to Piratefishinguy has been promoted to Piratefishinguy has been promoted to Piratefishinguy has been promoted to Pirate
Quote:
Originally Posted by Muddskipper View Post
some gigging guides have a major impact on flounder - just look at their web-sites .... there might be some of them here on 2cool that AVG 5-7,000 fish per year.

that's one guide boat!
I highly doubt those numbers are accurate

7000 fish would be 20 per day 365 days a year, I don't think any guide is putting up those numbers. That would be a party of 4 every single night of the year.

How many fish flounder are caught gigging vs on rod and reel?

How many total gigging guides are there vs the number of rod and reel guides?

They already said there is only 50-80 commercial fishermen.
Old 12-11-2019, 04:28 PM   #28
fishinguy
Registered Users-pm+

The worse part is that TPWD has no current data on gigging or gigging guides. Yet they seem to know what effect they have on the fish population.
Old 12-11-2019, 06:40 PM   #29
Blutarsky
Registered Users-pm+

Blutarsky has been promoted to the rank of RiggerBlutarsky has been promoted to the rank of RiggerBlutarsky has been promoted to the rank of RiggerBlutarsky has been promoted to the rank of RiggerBlutarsky has been promoted to the rank of RiggerBlutarsky has been promoted to the rank of RiggerBlutarsky has been promoted to the rank of RiggerBlutarsky has been promoted to the rank of RiggerBlutarsky has been promoted to the rank of RiggerBlutarsky has been promoted to the rank of RiggerBlutarsky has been promoted to the rank of Rigger
Quote:

I went twice this year on foot, alone once and got a limit and once with friends and we got five. As I previously stated, my cousin goes with a local guide often. That guide stays booked solid and is also a commercial fisherman. My cousin and his group routinely get 20-30 when they go, and often they are the second group of the night. I am retired on the coast and fish very often. I probably catch 4-6 keepers per year while fishing for trout and reds. I have no scientific data to back it up, but it appears that the decline in flounder counts coincides with the advent and proliferation of the flounder gigging boat and related guide services. I think the flounder is too easily targeted with the gigging boat, and that situation has steadily gotten worse as equipment has improved and fishing pressure overall has increased.
Blutarsky is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 12-11-2019, 06:56 PM   #30
Blue Fin Charters

Blue Fin Charters has been promoted to PirateBlue Fin Charters has been promoted to PirateBlue Fin Charters has been promoted to PirateBlue Fin Charters has been promoted to PirateBlue Fin Charters has been promoted to PirateBlue Fin Charters has been promoted to PirateBlue Fin Charters has been promoted to PirateBlue Fin Charters has been promoted to PirateBlue Fin Charters has been promoted to PirateBlue Fin Charters has been promoted to PirateBlue Fin Charters has been promoted to Pirate
There is no flounder guide that gigs every night. High tides and wind puts a damper on gigging. I have been gigging for years, recreational and commercial. The current flounder population appears to be pretty strong. Fisheries data always seems to be inaccurate regardless of the species in question. The commercial boats went from no limit, to 60 per night to 30 per night. The state bought a number of commercial permits back. There are a lot of permits that I know of that are not being fished. Permit holders are waiting for someone to pony up 15 or 20k. The problem is that it’s hard to make a living commercial flounder fishing. Recreational limits, not long ago, were 10 with a two day possession. Now we are 5 with a one day possession limit. I don’t see as many gigging boats as I use to in some areas. Last few times I went to Port Mansfield I never even seen another gigging boat. I’m not sure how the harvest breaks down now, but years ago I read that in Texas, commercial gigging made up for the most, with recreational hook n line second and recreational gigging harvesting the least. However, you have rod n reel fisherman that want to ban gigging. Go figure. Look at the Red Snapper Fisheries. There was originally a depletion of stock, but now the fisheries is overpopulated and other species will suffer, Possibly flounder. If the flounder conservation efforts were totally 100% about the fish, why have the closure, then leave it closed to gigging and open it for rod n reel. If the fisheries is in trouble close it for two months for everybody. Not open early for some at reduced limits. Close it for two months period. There always ends up being motives or politics in fisheries issues. The worse part about these situations is everybody gets mad at everybody. Just like Red Snapper, Recreational fishermen hate the commercial fisherman and guides. I’m in the offshore charter boat industry, and would love for more pounds of fish each year and more fishing days, but I don’t hate on a commercial Red Snapper fisherman or those who own there own boats. I have a recreational gigging boat and really enjoy being out on the bay at night, but I’m not going to hate on commercial giggers or rod n reel fisherman. However, you have people that say they should ban gigging. Really?? I deer hunt with a bow, I have never suggested that they ban riffle hunting. I personally think that if any change is to happen, it should be raise the minimum size to 16” and have a closure that is completely closed and possibly lengthened.