Home  |  Contact Us  |  Advertise   |   Follow:
Go Back   2CoolFishing > Saltwater Fishing Forums > General Fishing Discussion
Register FAQ Social Groups Calendar Mark Forums Read

Old 01-10-2020, 12:00 PM   #1
ingvar3000
Registered Users-pm+

ingvar3000 is a Landlubber (+10 to -10)
Truck-based fishing lights

I've noticed that during the night, a lot of folks along the bays or interior channels will park next to the water and shine tall lights on the water. I'm guessing these are mostly Home-Depot-grade work lights running off gas generators.

My questions: what are people's setups for these lights? Has anyone tried anything LED and battery based?

Also, do they seem to work, as far as drawing in more fish?
ingvar3000 is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 01-10-2020, 12:09 PM   #2
Floatin Doc
Registered Users-pm+

Floatin Doc has disabled reputation
I've used them a lot several years ago on the Colorado river. I had a Honda EU2000 and a 1000watt bucket light. Set it up just before dark and the fish would come. Now would be a really good time to try it out. We caught lots of big trout. Battery lights might work, but there may be a longevity issue. These things need to run several hours. LED's may be a good choice.
Floatin Doc is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 01-10-2020, 09:51 PM   #3
Flat Nasty
Registered Users-pm+

Flat Nasty has been promoted to PirateFlat Nasty has been promoted to PirateFlat Nasty has been promoted to PirateFlat Nasty has been promoted to PirateFlat Nasty has been promoted to PirateFlat Nasty has been promoted to PirateFlat Nasty has been promoted to PirateFlat Nasty has been promoted to PirateFlat Nasty has been promoted to PirateFlat Nasty has been promoted to PirateFlat Nasty has been promoted to Pirate
I built a trailer hitch rack out of squat tubing with adjustable height and put a light bar on it. The. I wired a plug to hook in to my trailer lights. Worked like a champ. I used to walk in an gig and would turn it on to light the night up!
Flat Nasty is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 01-10-2020, 10:38 PM   #4
LarryG
Registered Users-pm+

LarryG has been promoted to PirateLarryG has been promoted to PirateLarryG has been promoted to PirateLarryG has been promoted to PirateLarryG has been promoted to PirateLarryG has been promoted to PirateLarryG has been promoted to PirateLarryG has been promoted to PirateLarryG has been promoted to PirateLarryG has been promoted to PirateLarryG has been promoted to Pirate
Best setup would be a 1,000 watt par 64 stage light with a very narrow spot bulb.Needed would be a generator capable of running 1,000 watts. Puts out a LOT of light and with very narrow spot has good water penetration to attract bait. You could improvise a tall stand.
LarryG is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 01-11-2020, 09:10 AM   #5
impulse
'81 Aggie

impulse has been promoted to Pirateimpulse has been promoted to Pirateimpulse has been promoted to Pirateimpulse has been promoted to Pirateimpulse has been promoted to Pirateimpulse has been promoted to Pirateimpulse has been promoted to Pirateimpulse has been promoted to Pirateimpulse has been promoted to Pirateimpulse has been promoted to Pirateimpulse has been promoted to Pirate
Have you considered getting a 12V LED submersible light on a 50'-100' cord? Much stealthier than a floodlight, requires no genset AND you can drag it behind a boat, even a kayak with a decent battery.

I replaced the 120V high intensity submersibles on our dock with 12V lights just because running 120V underwater where there are kids swimming gives me the willies. They turned out so good (and much cheaper than the 120V setups) that I made another couple for the neighbors and a couple more for the boats.

Last edited by impulse; 01-11-2020 at 09:16 AM.
impulse is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 01-13-2020, 12:19 AM   #6
ingvar3000
Registered Users-pm+

ingvar3000 is a Landlubber (+10 to -10)
Thanks, I like these ideas. So I don't _have_ to use a stadium-grade light to bring in fish?
ingvar3000 is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 01-13-2020, 07:26 AM   #7
Floatin Doc
Registered Users-pm+

Floatin Doc has disabled reputation
Most any light will work to a degree. The narrow beam, powerful lights like the 1000 watt par 64 worked for me much better than all the others that I tried. If you have enough generator to power 2 of these guys, even better. More concentrated light, more and better fish. My lights were mounted in buckets and attached to a construction site dual tripod that originally had 2 quartz lights. The quartz lights worked, just not as good as the par 64"s.
Floatin Doc is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 01-13-2020, 11:02 AM   #8
ReedA1691
Registered Users-pm+

ReedA1691 has been promoted to PirateReedA1691 has been promoted to PirateReedA1691 has been promoted to PirateReedA1691 has been promoted to PirateReedA1691 has been promoted to PirateReedA1691 has been promoted to PirateReedA1691 has been promoted to PirateReedA1691 has been promoted to PirateReedA1691 has been promoted to PirateReedA1691 has been promoted to PirateReedA1691 has been promoted to Pirate
I've fished a lot of lights, from the SLP and 61st Street piers to private pier lights (surface and sub-surface) to a bank of construction lights run off a generator.

One thing I've found to be true is that brighter is better for attracting bait from distance and, in the case of lighted piers near one another, a sort of "arms race" can take place, where you are competing for bait. But if the light sources are more than 50 yards apart, I don't find that the less powerful light fails to attract sufficient bait. It does not take a ton of light to attract bait.

Second, light on the surface is what attracts bait we can see, but a penetrating beam of light will attract bait in more of the water column, but I think there is a price to be paid. That being that larger trout and reds, in general, aren't keen on bright light at night especially when it penetrates. This can be worked around by not fishing the bright parts of the water. Cast around the edges unless you're interested in schooly specks and sandies.
ReedA1691 is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message