2 Cool Fishing Forum banner

Can I plant fruit tree now?

1K views 9 replies 7 participants last post by  cva34 
#1 ·
Can I plant fruit tree now? I bought satsuma and tangerine trees from Lowes. Btw, fruit trees 75% off at Baytown Lowes.

#5 ·
Wait until early spring and still watch for freezes

Use existing soil - don't buy soil and add it

& don't plant it deep - the top of the root crown should be above ground level slightly
-This is the biggest issue I see with citrus grown - and don't cover the base of the tree with mulch ....make a ring of mulch not touching the tree

#6 ·
+1 w/ Mudskipper. Would add this: when you take the trees out of their pots, if the roots are growing in a dense circular pattern (i.e. growing around the contour of the pot) take a machete or whatever and make two or three vertical cuts on the root ball. this will break the tendency for the roots to continue growing in this circular mode and get them "exploring". Also just backfill around the root ball with the soil you dug out of the planting hole--wait till the trees are established before fertilizing or adding other amendments (other than mulch, as mentioned).

#8 ·
Better to wait until tree has chance to establish root system in "new home" soil, then feed lightly and several times (2 or 3) in late spring and summer--my recollection from TAMU literature. I have been known to add a bit of Medina Hasta-Grow when watering as I set tree out (settling soil around roots). Does it help or hurt?? IDK!

#10 ·
Tree planting

and to what ML and JM said too soon ..low fertility will force roots to reach out and create a better wider root base looking for nourishment..

Dormant tree planting is better... and if your talking Citrus (which never go dormant)..latter is still better ..caue ya don't have to deal with winter on them Freezing until next

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.