2 Cool Fishing Forum banner

Cork (or other) Grips

1K views 5 replies 4 participants last post by  Fishsurfer 
#1 ·
Another thread here made me decide to mention something that I do. Turning grips doesn't require a lathe necessarily. I bought a live center that could be clamped where the table goes on a bench top drill press. Of course I bought a 3/8" mandrel too. Since you can move belts around on a drill press to change speed, the drill press operates fast enough for turning. A half round file works great to shape eva or cork, and then can be finished with fine sand paper. Once the outside shape is where you want it, move the belt to super slow speed and put a reamer in the chuck. It is fun. Maybe most of you already know this.

#5 ·
One other tip that I do to keep the area clean as I make these in the house(too hot outside) is to use my shop vac and tape it close to where I'm sanding. Does a great job of keeping almost all the dust out off the table and carpet. Takes a little time to get it setup but it works.

#6 ·
Save those broken down vacuum cleaners. Usually it is the roller that messes up, so you can just use it with the hose that comes with it. A little more compact and a lot less noisy than a shop vac. Also easier to clean if it has those removable canisters. Just another alternative without having to go buy something to do it.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.