Flounder Boat Setup - 2CoolFishing
Home  |  Contact Us  |  Advertise   |   Follow:
Go Back   2CoolFishing > General Interest Forums > Boating Forum
Register FAQ Social Groups Calendar Mark Forums Read

Old 12-27-2017, 02:13 PM   #1
WTAggie
Registered Users-pm+

WTAggie has been promoted to the rank of QuarterMasterWTAggie has been promoted to the rank of QuarterMasterWTAggie has been promoted to the rank of QuarterMasterWTAggie has been promoted to the rank of QuarterMasterWTAggie has been promoted to the rank of QuarterMasterWTAggie has been promoted to the rank of QuarterMasterWTAggie has been promoted to the rank of QuarterMasterWTAggie has been promoted to the rank of QuarterMasterWTAggie has been promoted to the rank of QuarterMasterWTAggie has been promoted to the rank of QuarterMasterWTAggie has been promoted to the rank of QuarterMaster
flounder Flounder Boat Setup

I have a Weld-craft 1870 and am wanting to rig it out for floundering. I figured 2cool would help give me some ideas and suggestions. The aluminum work will begin here in the next few weeks. I just need to figure out the aluminum setup and purchase motor, fan and lights in the meantime.

I plan to have 10 LED overhead lights mounted on the front rack.
Honda 13 hp motor (21 hp will be too fast from what I've been told?), please correct me if this is not correct.
Composite propeller with adjustable pitch
Alternator; what size is needed for this setup or is it needed for the LED's? I want to keep it simple.

Where is the best place to order engines and propellers with the flange kit?

Thanks!
WTAggie is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 12-27-2017, 02:14 PM   #2
gotmuddy
Registered Users-pm+

gotmuddy has been promoted to Pirategotmuddy has been promoted to Pirategotmuddy has been promoted to Pirategotmuddy has been promoted to Pirategotmuddy has been promoted to Pirategotmuddy has been promoted to Pirategotmuddy has been promoted to Pirategotmuddy has been promoted to Pirategotmuddy has been promoted to Pirategotmuddy has been promoted to Pirategotmuddy has been promoted to Pirate
If your using LED you can just get good batteries and forget the generator or alternator.
gotmuddy is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 12-27-2017, 02:55 PM   #3
EvansMarine
Registered Users-pm+

EvansMarine has been promoted to PirateEvansMarine has been promoted to PirateEvansMarine has been promoted to PirateEvansMarine has been promoted to PirateEvansMarine has been promoted to PirateEvansMarine has been promoted to PirateEvansMarine has been promoted to PirateEvansMarine has been promoted to PirateEvansMarine has been promoted to PirateEvansMarine has been promoted to PirateEvansMarine has been promoted to Pirate
I run Plash Lights 50W 6" and 12" Flounder Bars, Total of 8, have 2 Deka intimidator's,
Have Underwater LED's, 13hp Fan 4 blade composite blade, Run a Delco Low Cut 130Amp Alternator. We pole at times for about half hour and still have enough to fire 90 Yamaha. I have ran the batteries completely dead, pull started the fan motor and within 30seconds can start outboard. Ive built a few from fabrication to finish. Make sure not to over think it, it's easy to do!
EvansMarine is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 12-27-2017, 04:14 PM   #4
Vantage Marine

Vantage Marine has been promoted to the rank of PrivateerVantage Marine has been promoted to the rank of PrivateerVantage Marine has been promoted to the rank of PrivateerVantage Marine has been promoted to the rank of PrivateerVantage Marine has been promoted to the rank of PrivateerVantage Marine has been promoted to the rank of PrivateerVantage Marine has been promoted to the rank of PrivateerVantage Marine has been promoted to the rank of PrivateerVantage Marine has been promoted to the rank of PrivateerVantage Marine has been promoted to the rank of PrivateerVantage Marine has been promoted to the rank of Privateer
We use the Honda GX390 here. HP doesn't determine speed but does determine what size prop you can turn which influences speed. The V-twin 21HP weighs about 25# more than the 13HP and while it may seem like that isn't a big deal, when rigging a flounder boat, it can be. There's no reason to go bigger than 13HP on that boat. As far as where to find them, they're readily available all over the internet but it might be smarter to buy local from a dealer. If you need warranty work, the few dollars extra you spend over a place like Northern Tool will be well worth it.

We also use the Ultra-prop from Competition Aircraft in California. You can find them online too. I believe a 4 blade adjustable pitch composite with hub/pulley kit goes for around $475.

As far as lighting, if you burn 10 30W lights at 12V, you're drawing around 25 amps. 50W lights jump to 40 amps. The largest available built-in charging system on a GX390 is 18 amps I believe so you can see there could be a need for an alternator even running LEDs. Make sure the motor you get has a recoil back-up so you can pull start it if necessary.

Hope this is helpful,
Damon
Vantage Marine is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 12-28-2017, 08:48 AM   #5
bigrebar
Registered Users-pm+

bigrebar has been promoted to Piratebigrebar has been promoted to Piratebigrebar has been promoted to Piratebigrebar has been promoted to Piratebigrebar has been promoted to Piratebigrebar has been promoted to Piratebigrebar has been promoted to Piratebigrebar has been promoted to Piratebigrebar has been promoted to Piratebigrebar has been promoted to Piratebigrebar has been promoted to Pirate
I have an 18 foot flounder boat with the 13hp Honda fan motor turning a 100 amp alternator. When that alternator is pulling full amperage, it is requiring 5 to 7 horsepower from your fan motor (according to the guys at Corpus Christi Alternator). And at idle speed, you can really hear that Honda working hard. If you are going to mount an alternator on your fan motor, I would put the largest fan motor horse power you can budget, in my opinion. However, if running on battery alone and no fan motor mounted alternator, the GX390 is a great motor.
bigrebar is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 12-28-2017, 09:35 AM   #6
WTAggie
Registered Users-pm+

WTAggie has been promoted to the rank of QuarterMasterWTAggie has been promoted to the rank of QuarterMasterWTAggie has been promoted to the rank of QuarterMasterWTAggie has been promoted to the rank of QuarterMasterWTAggie has been promoted to the rank of QuarterMasterWTAggie has been promoted to the rank of QuarterMasterWTAggie has been promoted to the rank of QuarterMasterWTAggie has been promoted to the rank of QuarterMasterWTAggie has been promoted to the rank of QuarterMasterWTAggie has been promoted to the rank of QuarterMasterWTAggie has been promoted to the rank of QuarterMaster
It sounds like I definitely need to get an alternator as I will be running a stereo as well. I'd rather know that I can charge a dead battery than be stranded in the bay overnight.

What is the difference in the 3 blade vs 4 blade props? I plan to speak with the company I'm ordering from to make sure I have the correct setup.
WTAggie is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 12-28-2017, 11:04 PM   #7
fowlwaters
Registered Users-pm+

fowlwaters has been promoted to Piratefowlwaters has been promoted to Piratefowlwaters has been promoted to Piratefowlwaters has been promoted to Piratefowlwaters has been promoted to Piratefowlwaters has been promoted to Piratefowlwaters has been promoted to Piratefowlwaters has been promoted to Piratefowlwaters has been promoted to Piratefowlwaters has been promoted to Piratefowlwaters has been promoted to Pirate
Here are a few flounder boat I built.

Sent from my SM-G900V using Tapatalk
fowlwaters is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 12-29-2017, 05:59 PM   #8
fowlwaters
Registered Users-pm+

fowlwaters has been promoted to Piratefowlwaters has been promoted to Piratefowlwaters has been promoted to Piratefowlwaters has been promoted to Piratefowlwaters has been promoted to Piratefowlwaters has been promoted to Piratefowlwaters has been promoted to Piratefowlwaters has been promoted to Piratefowlwaters has been promoted to Piratefowlwaters has been promoted to Piratefowlwaters has been promoted to Pirate
Why run a 100 amp alternator if your only drawing 30-40 amps?
On a 1870 we are running a 9.5hp air motor with a altnator and no problems at all no need for a bigger hp.

Old 12-30-2017, 07:52 AM   #9
fowlwaters
Registered Users-pm+

Here is a 1870 from start to finish

Old 12-30-2017, 08:37 AM   #10
captMike
Registered Users-pm+

captMike has been promoted to PiratecaptMike has been promoted to PiratecaptMike has been promoted to PiratecaptMike has been promoted to PiratecaptMike has been promoted to PiratecaptMike has been promoted to PiratecaptMike has been promoted to PiratecaptMike has been promoted to PiratecaptMike has been promoted to PiratecaptMike has been promoted to PiratecaptMike has been promoted to Pirate
When building motor stand, make sure you can jack up motor and tilt it up out of water and not hit blades (going straight, sometimes you forget to turn motor one side of other). Go big on motor if running alternator, when wind is blowing or hit a spot with no fish you can kick it up and cover more ground.
captMike is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message