2 Cool Fishing Forum banner

Oil/ energy sector

13K views 30 replies 16 participants last post by  fishingcacher 
#1 ·
My thought is that oil and energy stocks are at or near bottoms . 1. Do y'all agree ? 2. If yes, where would u position investment dollars to take advantage of the inevitable rebound ?

Thanks

#2 ·
Bottom not yet but great time to start getting in as one can't predict the bottom.

If you have $50,000 start by splitting your money into 3 or 4 buying opportunities. I'm fairly young and have time to wait this out so my plan is to start getting into a few positions. Then if it goes down more I can dollar cost average and add more.

I'm also looking at companies that have had good earnings but are going down just because of the market in general is selling off. these are typically shorter term buys as they pop faster when the market turns

#11 ·
Russia reported that the Saudis approached them and asked if they would be willing to join a coalition of oil producing countries promising to drop production by 5%. It'll be awesome if they all agree, but this has been tried unsuccessfully in previous decades. Greed always prevails.

#16 ·
Yes in the past OPEC members would agree to cuts only to cheat. I think prices will recover as many of those companies that borrowed a lot of money will take a hit when the Fed increases interest rates and the loan payments start rolling in. Once companies go bankrupt then the production will decrease.

#17 ·
Why buy their stock...when you can buy those companies high yield bonds.....when they go bankrupt you become a stock owner anyways.....they are on sale now .... ;)

It's interesting to see these large cap energy companies with positive balance sheets trading much lower than their value.....

If you buy a company stay with big names....they have the history and can handle these times.....

OH....expect oil to stay low.....don't fall for this BS of a 5% reduction to make the price go up....

They are starving in Venzula and Russia has no other exports....

#26 ·
Independent refiners sure did well for a while. In the last 12 months, Holly, Andeavor (Tesoro), Valero, Marathon...all more or less doubled in value.

The OPEC cut caused US inventories to be drawn down. Expect a decent year for US shale producers and midstream companies.

The only question is how long does it last

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.