Official Anouncement Thread - TroutSupport REEF RECON Galveston Bay 2018! - 2CoolFishing
Home  |  Contact Us  |  Advertise   |   Follow:
Go Back   2CoolFishing > Saltwater Fishing Forums > General Fishing Discussion
Register FAQ Social Groups Calendar Mark Forums Read

Old 04-29-2018, 08:03 PM   #1
troutsupport
Site Sponsor

troutsupport has been promoted to Piratetroutsupport has been promoted to Piratetroutsupport has been promoted to Piratetroutsupport has been promoted to Piratetroutsupport has been promoted to Piratetroutsupport has been promoted to Piratetroutsupport has been promoted to Piratetroutsupport has been promoted to Piratetroutsupport has been promoted to Piratetroutsupport has been promoted to Piratetroutsupport has been promoted to Pirate
Official Anouncement Thread - TroutSupport REEF RECON Galveston Bay 2018!

I present to you REEF RECON ™ - Galveston Bay 2018.

More Details, Coverage Area, Benefits, and FAQ's here:
http://troutsupport.com/reef-recon/

REEF RECON for Lowrance or Simrad Chartplotters or a Garmin Handheld GPS

The Full Story:
When I first envisioned what could be done to support anglers in catching more speckled trout and redfish, I came up with an idea. This was before the videos, before the lure, and before what TroutSupport.com is today. The technology for the project was just starting to become available at the time but I didn’t have the funds to do it. That was in 2006; fast forward to today and here’s what I’ve done with the funds that you’ve so graciously entrusted me.

It has cost fuel, software, hardware, geographic information system education from my undergrad and graduate degrees, and a commitment to do what it takes to get it done and that meant a lot of TIME. Not just a couple hours after a weekend trip here or there. I mean it took months and months and months of on the water time behind the wheel idling around the bay. This meant not going fishing hardly at all. In fact… while everyone had been killing it in East Bay Oyster reefs the last several years while the floods had Trinity and Upper Galveston Bay too fresh… I was side scanning oyster reefs day in and day out; most days of the last several summers I launched at daylight only to return to the ramp some 14 hours later at dusk. That’s how big my commitment was to you to get it done.

Let’s talk about the state of Galveston Bays Oyster Reefs. The drought of nearly 8 years allowed high salinity predators to come in and decimate a large portion of the reefs in the bay. Between Ike and the drought we lost nearly 85% of the reefs that existed before Ike. Then the rain started… 3 solid years of high rainfall amounts was at first welcomed because it killed off the oysters predators but it kept raining and raining. The upper bays were completely fresh all the way to Smith Point for the majority of 3 years. While this helped the oysters in some areas, the upper bay’s oysters in Trinity Bay and Upper Galveston DIED due to fresh water. However, the substrate was still there and some areas began to recover with substrate collecting oyster spat during brief moderate salinity periods. Then came Harvey… the storm surge did not hit Galveston but the run-off from nearly 60inches of rain over a weeks time did more than make the bays fresh. The sediment laden runoff also pushed more sediment out of the rivers into the bays covering some large areas of reef in Trinity Bay. In Trinity Bay several hundred acres of oyster shell is now covered with 1-2 inches of mud. The good news is that the majority of well pad reefs did not get covered due to their relief from the bottom. I was forced to remove huge areas of reef from the mapped area and I updated the file to what it is today. There is still a lot of very good Oyster substrate left in the bay.

Galveston Bay contains a huge amount of oyster substrate even after the drought and the floods, including both the natural and man made rock pile oyster substrate. Both are beginning to collect oyster spat where salinities are suitable. There is a ton of oyster outside the PVC pile areas and there are many man made reefs, the whereabouts of have been long forgotten and there are no buoys left to mark them. ALL these are in the REEF RECON Oyster Reef Overlay.

I present to you REEF RECON ™ - Galveston Bay 2018.

Go here to find out More if you have a Lowrance or Simrad Chartplotter or a Garmin Handheld GPS
http://troutsupport.com/reef-recon/

Unfortunately Garmin does not currently support the technology we are using; we are going to work on a work around but do not currently supply a file for Garmin Chartplottters.
Advertisement

Old 04-29-2018, 08:19 PM   #2
troutsupport
Site Sponsor

troutsupport has been promoted to Piratetroutsupport has been promoted to Piratetroutsupport has been promoted to Piratetroutsupport has been promoted to Piratetroutsupport has been promoted to Piratetroutsupport has been promoted to Piratetroutsupport has been promoted to Piratetroutsupport has been promoted to Piratetroutsupport has been promoted to Piratetroutsupport has been promoted to Piratetroutsupport has been promoted to Pirate
Here's the youtube clip for it.

Old 04-29-2018, 08:51 PM   #3
willeye
Registered Users-pm+

willeye has been promoted to Piratewilleye has been promoted to Piratewilleye has been promoted to Piratewilleye has been promoted to Piratewilleye has been promoted to Piratewilleye has been promoted to Piratewilleye has been promoted to Piratewilleye has been promoted to Piratewilleye has been promoted to Piratewilleye has been promoted to Piratewilleye has been promoted to Pirate
reef recon!!!!!

I was able to test run this for the last two weeks and the attention to detail is like no other out there. From danger markers to reef outlines are awesome. Hell even caught a few fish too boot!!! thanks again trout support. Like his other products you can tell he has put a lot of time and effort into this. Fine product you have here Tobin thanks again!!!!!
willeye is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 04-29-2018, 09:18 PM   #4
bonkers
Registered Users-pm+

bonkers has been promoted to Piratebonkers has been promoted to Piratebonkers has been promoted to Piratebonkers has been promoted to Piratebonkers has been promoted to Piratebonkers has been promoted to Piratebonkers has been promoted to Piratebonkers has been promoted to Piratebonkers has been promoted to Piratebonkers has been promoted to Piratebonkers has been promoted to Pirate
Congratulations Tobin!!! You have a customer here, but you already knew that didn't you...lol (I have to wait until next month tho)
Well done Sir. I look forward to using it like I do your DVD's!!!!
I forgot to mention, since I am using a kayak I am not worried about navigation, I am going to use it to pinpoint the bait and fish!!!!
God Bless!

Last edited by bonkers; 04-29-2018 at 09:24 PM.
bonkers is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 04-29-2018, 09:21 PM   #5
sgrem
Registered Users-pm+

sgrem has been promoted to Piratesgrem has been promoted to Piratesgrem has been promoted to Piratesgrem has been promoted to Piratesgrem has been promoted to Piratesgrem has been promoted to Piratesgrem has been promoted to Piratesgrem has been promoted to Piratesgrem has been promoted to Piratesgrem has been promoted to Piratesgrem has been promoted to Pirate
Wow that is powerful mapping for popular units. Way to go TS!!!

I remember when Top Spot maps came out with their reefs "now with GPS" etc....this is 10 times better with current on the water recon. What a cool mapping feature. Turn anyone into a trout pro....

Great info on the current state of the reefs with recent events. Super excited to put it to good use.
sgrem is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 04-29-2018, 09:35 PM   #6
brian02
Registered Users-pm+

brian02 has been promoted to Piratebrian02 has been promoted to Piratebrian02 has been promoted to Piratebrian02 has been promoted to Piratebrian02 has been promoted to Piratebrian02 has been promoted to Piratebrian02 has been promoted to Piratebrian02 has been promoted to Piratebrian02 has been promoted to Piratebrian02 has been promoted to Piratebrian02 has been promoted to Pirate
looks awesome, any plans to do this for the matagorda bay system?
brian02 is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 04-29-2018, 09:42 PM   #7
johnsons1480
Registered Users-pm+

johnsons1480 has been promoted to Piratejohnsons1480 has been promoted to Piratejohnsons1480 has been promoted to Piratejohnsons1480 has been promoted to Piratejohnsons1480 has been promoted to Piratejohnsons1480 has been promoted to Piratejohnsons1480 has been promoted to Piratejohnsons1480 has been promoted to Piratejohnsons1480 has been promoted to Piratejohnsons1480 has been promoted to Piratejohnsons1480 has been promoted to Pirate
I’ve been testing this for a few weeks now. I have, over the past two years, put in every spot on the hook and line maps into my GPS. All I can say after trying this overlay is WOW! The information on those maps is completely outdated. I was able to eliminate over half of my waypoints as not over actual structure, changed the symbol of the waypoints over degraded reefs, and found new reefs I didn’t know were there. I now have a reasonable amount of points. Also, because of the color differences, I know which reefs have the best structure and where exactly the edges are.

Tobin is changing the game once again!
johnsons1480 is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 04-30-2018, 07:40 AM   #8
Profish00
Gone Fishing

Profish00 has been promoted to PirateProfish00 has been promoted to PirateProfish00 has been promoted to PirateProfish00 has been promoted to PirateProfish00 has been promoted to PirateProfish00 has been promoted to PirateProfish00 has been promoted to PirateProfish00 has been promoted to PirateProfish00 has been promoted to PirateProfish00 has been promoted to PirateProfish00 has been promoted to Pirate
I fish Galveston West Bay and this is really going to open things up and give me and more people options on the water. It's is also going to give me more options to navigate and help keep me out of trouble with west bay having a lot of shallow reefs and obstructions throughout the bay. Thanks for developing another great product.
Profish00 is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 04-30-2018, 07:58 AM   #9
Go Frogs
Registered Users-pm+

Go Frogs has been promoted to PirateGo Frogs has been promoted to PirateGo Frogs has been promoted to PirateGo Frogs has been promoted to PirateGo Frogs has been promoted to PirateGo Frogs has been promoted to PirateGo Frogs has been promoted to PirateGo Frogs has been promoted to PirateGo Frogs has been promoted to PirateGo Frogs has been promoted to PirateGo Frogs has been promoted to Pirate
Sounds like a great product that we can ALL use. I will eagerly await the Garmin option!
Go Frogs is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 04-30-2018, 10:03 AM   #10
troutsupport
Site Sponsor

You're welcome guys. Glad we could deliver something that will really support us all.