Sycamore wood for lures - 2CoolFishing
Home  |  Contact Us  |  Advertise   |   Follow:
Go Back   2CoolFishing > General Interest Forums > Wood Turning & Wood Working Forum
Register FAQ Social Groups Calendar Mark Forums Read

Old 08-17-2019, 11:19 AM   #1
surfcowboy

surfcowboy has been promoted to Piratesurfcowboy has been promoted to Piratesurfcowboy has been promoted to Piratesurfcowboy has been promoted to Piratesurfcowboy has been promoted to Piratesurfcowboy has been promoted to Piratesurfcowboy has been promoted to Piratesurfcowboy has been promoted to Piratesurfcowboy has been promoted to Piratesurfcowboy has been promoted to Piratesurfcowboy has been promoted to Pirate
Sycamore wood for lures

He guys

I want to get you take on using Sycamore wood for Tuna Poppers. I would like to get you guys take on this type of wood. I have some popular laying around and has been used i though about stepping up to a harder wood.

I would like you guys take on the two woods.

Look forward to seeing your reply's
Advertisement

Old 08-17-2019, 05:13 PM   #2
duc996
Registered Users-pm+

duc996 has been promoted to Pirateduc996 has been promoted to Pirateduc996 has been promoted to Pirateduc996 has been promoted to Pirateduc996 has been promoted to Pirateduc996 has been promoted to Pirateduc996 has been promoted to Pirateduc996 has been promoted to Pirateduc996 has been promoted to Pirateduc996 has been promoted to Pirateduc996 has been promoted to Pirate
Maple?

Hi Surfcowboy, I haven't had the chance to use sycamore so, I can't comment on that particular species. Have you thought about using maple? It is fairly cheap and machines well and is pretty dense to stand up against the abuse. If you lived closer I would give you the maple scraps I have to build your poppers and lures. Hope that helps.
duc996 is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 08-18-2019, 03:11 AM   #3
surfcowboy

surfcowboy has been promoted to Piratesurfcowboy has been promoted to Piratesurfcowboy has been promoted to Piratesurfcowboy has been promoted to Piratesurfcowboy has been promoted to Piratesurfcowboy has been promoted to Piratesurfcowboy has been promoted to Piratesurfcowboy has been promoted to Piratesurfcowboy has been promoted to Piratesurfcowboy has been promoted to Piratesurfcowboy has been promoted to Pirate
Thanks for the input i might have to take you up on that. I was doing some research maple might be a little heavy for poppers but would work for stick-baits.

Quote:
Originally Posted by duc996 View Post
Hi Surfcowboy, I haven't had the chance to use sycamore so, I can't comment on that particular species. Have you thought about using maple? It is fairly cheap and machines well and is pretty dense to stand up against the abuse. If you lived closer I would give you the maple scraps I have to build your poppers and lures. Hope that helps.
Advertisement

Old 11-11-2019, 10:46 AM   #4
padrefigure
Registered Users-pm+

padrefigure has been promoted to Piratepadrefigure has been promoted to Piratepadrefigure has been promoted to Piratepadrefigure has been promoted to Piratepadrefigure has been promoted to Piratepadrefigure has been promoted to Piratepadrefigure has been promoted to Piratepadrefigure has been promoted to Piratepadrefigure has been promoted to Piratepadrefigure has been promoted to Piratepadrefigure has been promoted to Pirate
Sycamore is 24-37 lbs per cubic foot, Maple is 39-47. If Balsa is the baseline (7-9 lbs/ cu ft) then anything will be at least twice that. Look at Western Red Cedar (23). you can get scraps from deck projects that should work well for simple turnings. Aspen (26) is also a good option, but not readily available around here. Throw some limbs in the back of your truck if you go up to Colorado any time soon.
padrefigure is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message