2020 Garden Produce Storage Thread - Page 9 - 2CoolFishing
Home  |  Contact Us  |  Advertise   |   Follow:
Go Back   2CoolFishing > General Interest Forums > Home Gardening Forum
Register FAQ Social Groups Calendar Mark Forums Read

Old 07-07-2020, 07:47 PM   #81
karstopo
Taking shots at fish

karstopo has been promoted to Piratekarstopo has been promoted to Piratekarstopo has been promoted to Piratekarstopo has been promoted to Piratekarstopo has been promoted to Piratekarstopo has been promoted to Piratekarstopo has been promoted to Piratekarstopo has been promoted to Piratekarstopo has been promoted to Piratekarstopo has been promoted to Piratekarstopo has been promoted to Pirate
Yea, all that looks great. Trading and bartering with neighbors is good in my book.
karstopo is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 08-06-2020, 04:04 PM   #82
Meadowlark
Registered Users-PM plus

Meadowlark has been promoted to PirateMeadowlark has been promoted to PirateMeadowlark has been promoted to PirateMeadowlark has been promoted to PirateMeadowlark has been promoted to PirateMeadowlark has been promoted to PirateMeadowlark has been promoted to PirateMeadowlark has been promoted to PirateMeadowlark has been promoted to PirateMeadowlark has been promoted to PirateMeadowlark has been promoted to Pirate
Finally getting some tomatillos fruits after a false start. Lots of blooms should mean a lot more to come....looking for a good recipe to use them.
Attached Images

Meadowlark is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 08-17-2020, 08:03 PM   #83
karstopo
Taking shots at fish

karstopo has been promoted to Piratekarstopo has been promoted to Piratekarstopo has been promoted to Piratekarstopo has been promoted to Piratekarstopo has been promoted to Piratekarstopo has been promoted to Piratekarstopo has been promoted to Piratekarstopo has been promoted to Piratekarstopo has been promoted to Piratekarstopo has been promoted to Piratekarstopo has been promoted to Pirate

One way to store produce is to convert it into alcohol. Alcohol was a huge part and impetus of the success of the civilizated world. Made water safe and preserved food for the long haul. This is a Blackberry Melomel, honey, yeast, blackberries and water. The yeast do the heavy lifting. Roughly 14%ABV. Finished at 0.991 specific gravity, backsweetened to 1.000. Off dry, but definitely not sweet.

Last edited by karstopo; 08-17-2020 at 08:09 PM.
Old 08-18-2020, 09:38 AM   #84
txdougman
"Whatever one sows, he will also reap"

txdougman has been promoted to Piratetxdougman has been promoted to Piratetxdougman has been promoted to Piratetxdougman has been promoted to Piratetxdougman has been promoted to Piratetxdougman has been promoted to Piratetxdougman has been promoted to Piratetxdougman has been promoted to Piratetxdougman has been promoted to Piratetxdougman has been promoted to Piratetxdougman has been promoted to Pirate
Quote:
Originally Posted by Meadowlark View Post
Carolina Reapers are tooo hot for me. Habeneros are as hot as I go.

Salsa/Pico de Gallo/Picante sause time is coming...and its about my favorite time of year...but one needs some nice tomatoes to go with the peppers...my first of 2020 today.
You better believe it , those reapers will put a ghost pepper to shame! Made some salsa’s and they are both very flavorful , but the reaper makes ya break into a good sweat!
Also made some hot sauce too!
Attached Images

txdougman is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 08-18-2020, 09:55 AM   #85
txdougman
"Whatever one sows, he will also reap"

txdougman has been promoted to Piratetxdougman has been promoted to Piratetxdougman has been promoted to Piratetxdougman has been promoted to Piratetxdougman has been promoted to Piratetxdougman has been promoted to Piratetxdougman has been promoted to Piratetxdougman has been promoted to Piratetxdougman has been promoted to Piratetxdougman has been promoted to Piratetxdougman has been promoted to Pirate
Quote:
Originally Posted by karstopo View Post
Love a good peach! Peaches are evidently tough to grow this close to the coast.

I made one more hot sauce. So that’s three total. One not a fermented sauce, the other two ferments. The latest, tomato, had about 12 ounces of green tomatoes in the 8 day ferment.

I’ve gotten 55 ounces between the three sauces. Two quart jars of fermented peppers and other vegetables yields around 20 ounces of finished ready to bottle sauce.

Lots of concentrated flavor in those sauces. All the Louisiana style sauces are fermented and aged in wood barrels. Crystal, Louisiana, Tabasco. They all add in vinegar after the ferment, prior to packaging. Lactic acid created in the fermentation has a different flavor than acetic acid, vinegar. Lactic acid is more mellow on the tongue, not as sharp.

The Thai sauce has vinegar added since it wasn’t a fermented sauce. Ph ended up at 4.0. Rice vinegar isn’t as acidic as distilled white vinegar. The Cowhorn also ended up at 4.0 pH. No vinegar got added, the lactic acid produced in the 6-7 day ferment supplied the necessary acidity. 4.6 pH or lower is considered shelf stable. 4.0 or lower is a good target for the home ferment or hot sauce maker, this I’ve read repeatedly, don’t know the truth of it.

Several people have tasted the first two sauces. Stepdaughter nailed the flavor of the Cowhorn. She said it taste “meaty” and she loved it. She took a 5oz bottle. By meaty, we finally settled on it tasted almost identical to Jimmy Dean breakfast sausage. Must be the cumin and coriander seed I used in the fermentation.

My fishing buddy loves the thai sauce, he took a bottle. My dad has a bottle of that too. So does my stepson. I’m down to one.

The tomato sauce, really primarily hot peppers, is tangy and tart. PH finished at 3.4. I added a half a squeezed lime into the sauce before bottling and testing for pH.

Otherwise, I have been freezing whole tomatoes. On another mostly tomato growing forum, most everyone raves about freezing whole tomatoes and how to subsequently use them. I’ve frozen close to ten pounds now, let’s hope they are good.

Oddly, I have a lot of tomatoes still on the vine, little just set ones on up to one pound types. I’m a little rural where I am and it’s been cooler at night, many mid sixties nights, unusual this late in the year and that’s has kept the maters going strong. But, there’s always a dark cloud on the horizon for a garden. The squirrels have evidently run out of immature pine cones and other natural forage and have turn to my tomatoes. I gave one a dose of acute lead poisoning yesterday evening, left the carcass at the edge of the garden to remind his compadres and not 15 minutes later, there’s another one of those rats not ten feet away from his dead buddy eyeing my maters. That one too got a lethal dose of .22 caliber lead. Brazoria county is open year around on squirrels so don’t bother with any moralizing any junior game wardens out there. Both squirrels remain out there, maybe the rest will get the message. Or I have plenty of .22 shells, your choice squirrels.
Looking good! I am way behind y’all, but playing catch up!
My 1st time fermenting peppers...gonna have to find a few new recipes and a lot more bottles & jars!!!
Attached Images

txdougman is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 08-24-2020, 09:19 AM   #86
Meadowlark
Registered Users-PM plus

Meadowlark has been promoted to PirateMeadowlark has been promoted to PirateMeadowlark has been promoted to PirateMeadowlark has been promoted to PirateMeadowlark has been promoted to PirateMeadowlark has been promoted to PirateMeadowlark has been promoted to PirateMeadowlark has been promoted to PirateMeadowlark has been promoted to PirateMeadowlark has been promoted to PirateMeadowlark has been promoted to Pirate
Can we successfully store onions and potatoes on the Gulf Coast? Absolutely, yes.

Moving into September, both crops harvested in May this year from my garden are still in excellent shape... great eating and no need to go shopping....just fill the bucket from storage.
Attached Images

Old 08-27-2020, 06:00 PM   #87
hk
Registered Users-pm+

hk has been promoted to Piratehk has been promoted to Piratehk has been promoted to Piratehk has been promoted to Piratehk has been promoted to Piratehk has been promoted to Piratehk has been promoted to Piratehk has been promoted to Piratehk has been promoted to Piratehk has been promoted to Piratehk has been promoted to Pirate
Longhorn okra still doing great.Eating all I can and giving away the rest to friends.Some plants close to ten feet tall.I enjoy seeing how tall I can get it to grow. Name:  20200811_180039.jpg
Views: 62
Size:  153.2 KBName:  20200811_180058.jpg
Views: 65
Size:  162.7 KB .Name:  20200827_161346.jpg
Views: 54
Size:  58.8 KB

Sent from my SM-G550T1 using Tapatalk
hk is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 08-28-2020, 09:22 AM   #88
karstopo
Taking shots at fish

American Beautyberry mead, day one. Not technically from my garden, but the bushes where I picked the about a pound and a half of the berries are just a few feet away.

First jar of pickled okra. Been eating plenty of it fresh, time to stash some away. Tabasco peppers from the garden to provide the punch.
Old 08-28-2020, 11:30 AM   #89
hk
Registered Users-pm+

hk has been promoted to Piratehk has been promoted to Piratehk has been promoted to Piratehk has been promoted to Piratehk has been promoted to Piratehk has been promoted to Piratehk has been promoted to Piratehk has been promoted to Piratehk has been promoted to Piratehk has been promoted to Piratehk has been promoted to Pirate
I have made10 quarts of pickled okra so far.Give a bunch of jars away to friends and family.I also had a pepper or two to most jars and some garlic.Really good to have one in a bloody mary.
Name:  20200828_102229.jpg
Views: 63
Size:  58.6 KB

Sent from my SM-G550T1 using Tapatalk
hk is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 08-28-2020, 11:48 AM   #90
Meadowlark
Registered Users-PM plus

Just can't beat pickled okra!

Like others have mentioned, we add peppers, jalapenos in my case...and of course garlic. Agree it is great in Bloody Mary's.

Also I try to cut the okra for pickling as small as I can but it grows so fast in this heat you have to pick it every day or it will outgrow the jars.
Attached Images