Waterfowl numbers - Page 9 - 2CoolFishing
Home  |  Contact Us  |  Advertise   |   Follow:
Go Back   2CoolFishing > Hunting and Shooting Forums > Hunting Board
Register FAQ Social Groups Calendar Mark Forums Read

Old 01-17-2020, 12:13 AM   #81
Brady
Registered Users-pm+

Brady has been promoted to PirateBrady has been promoted to PirateBrady has been promoted to PirateBrady has been promoted to PirateBrady has been promoted to PirateBrady has been promoted to PirateBrady has been promoted to PirateBrady has been promoted to PirateBrady has been promoted to PirateBrady has been promoted to PirateBrady has been promoted to Pirate
Quote:
Originally Posted by joe78 View Post
I haven't read this entire thread but I will also say that geese are pretty much gone from southeast Texas. So does anyone know what the estimated snow goose population is nowadays? Are the geese stopping further north or has the population diminished?

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SM-J327A using Tapatalk
I think the estimate for the mid continent population of snow geese is 12 million.

The Fish and Wildlife Service believes the snow goose population may have topped out and is below the levels of several years ago.
Brady is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 01-17-2020, 08:49 AM   #82
hurricane matt
Registered Users-pm+

hurricane matt has been promoted to Piratehurricane matt has been promoted to Piratehurricane matt has been promoted to Piratehurricane matt has been promoted to Piratehurricane matt has been promoted to Piratehurricane matt has been promoted to Piratehurricane matt has been promoted to Piratehurricane matt has been promoted to Piratehurricane matt has been promoted to Piratehurricane matt has been promoted to Piratehurricane matt has been promoted to Pirate
Quote:
Originally Posted by Brady View Post
I think the estimate for the mid continent population of snow geese is 12 million.

The Fish and Wildlife Service believes the snow goose population may have topped out and is below the levels of several years ago.
That was the goal right? With ecaller and extended seasons. Either it worked or they don't like Texas anymore.

Sent from my Pixel 3 using Tapatalk
hurricane matt is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 01-17-2020, 09:22 AM   #83
DUKFVR2
Registered Users-pm+

DUKFVR2 has been promoted to PirateDUKFVR2 has been promoted to PirateDUKFVR2 has been promoted to PirateDUKFVR2 has been promoted to PirateDUKFVR2 has been promoted to PirateDUKFVR2 has been promoted to PirateDUKFVR2 has been promoted to PirateDUKFVR2 has been promoted to PirateDUKFVR2 has been promoted to PirateDUKFVR2 has been promoted to PirateDUKFVR2 has been promoted to Pirate
Quote:
Originally Posted by hurricane matt View Post
That was the goal right? With ecaller and extended seasons. Either it worked or they don't like Texas anymore.

They don't like Tx!
DUKFVR2 is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 01-17-2020, 12:38 PM   #84
Brady
Registered Users-pm+

Brady has been promoted to PirateBrady has been promoted to PirateBrady has been promoted to PirateBrady has been promoted to PirateBrady has been promoted to PirateBrady has been promoted to PirateBrady has been promoted to PirateBrady has been promoted to PirateBrady has been promoted to PirateBrady has been promoted to PirateBrady has been promoted to Pirate
Quote:

It is my understanding that the biologists and flyway managers believe the drop is likely more to environmental factors.

In other words a threshold has been crossed on how many geese the tundra can support. Because of the depredation the nesting success and reproduction is dropping.

White geese have been pushing farther north to nest and likely those areas have more unpredictable weather and the habitat isn't as good or widespread.
Brady is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 01-17-2020, 02:14 PM   #85
Whitecrow
I once killed two stones with one bird..

Whitecrow has been promoted to PirateWhitecrow has been promoted to PirateWhitecrow has been promoted to PirateWhitecrow has been promoted to PirateWhitecrow has been promoted to PirateWhitecrow has been promoted to PirateWhitecrow has been promoted to PirateWhitecrow has been promoted to PirateWhitecrow has been promoted to PirateWhitecrow has been promoted to PirateWhitecrow has been promoted to Pirate
Quote:

It's only been 20 years, gee whiz. I think it's about to start working.
Whitecrow is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 01-17-2020, 02:55 PM   #86
hurricane matt
Registered Users-pm+

hurricane matt has been promoted to Piratehurricane matt has been promoted to Piratehurricane matt has been promoted to Piratehurricane matt has been promoted to Piratehurricane matt has been promoted to Piratehurricane matt has been promoted to Piratehurricane matt has been promoted to Piratehurricane matt has been promoted to Piratehurricane matt has been promoted to Piratehurricane matt has been promoted to Piratehurricane matt has been promoted to Pirate
Is it? Are other states shooting as much as we used to down here. Have pictures of piles of geese during early 90s. Piles of carp. Wonder I always considered Texas coast premier goose shooting and a pretty big business. Look at the steelshot shelves at academy before season opener. Wonder if those states above us hit them as hard as we used to!

hurricane matt is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 01-17-2020, 04:36 PM   #87
copano_son
Almost Time

copano_son has been promoted to Piratecopano_son has been promoted to Piratecopano_son has been promoted to Piratecopano_son has been promoted to Piratecopano_son has been promoted to Piratecopano_son has been promoted to Piratecopano_son has been promoted to Piratecopano_son has been promoted to Piratecopano_son has been promoted to Piratecopano_son has been promoted to Piratecopano_son has been promoted to Pirate
Quote:
Is it? Are other states shooting as much as we used to down here. Have pictures of piles of geese during early 90s. Piles of carp. Wonder I always considered Texas coast premier goose shooting and a pretty big business. Look at the steelshot shelves at academy before season opener. Wonder if those states above us hit them as hard as we used to!

There are some outfitters in AR and MO that mollywhop them pretty good during the conservation season. I'll see several post of 300+ bird shoots.

Snows aren't targeted as much up north during the regular season because they are a pain in the ***** to hunt compared to dark geese and ducks, but once conservation season starts they hit them pretty hard.
copano_son is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message