2 Cool Fishing Forum banner

Thoughts?

4K views 7 replies 6 participants last post by  hjm 
#1 ·
Here's a photo of a GBH that I recently shot. What are y'all's thoughts? Also, how do most of y'all feel about editing photos? It's hard to get the right lighting in nature so I occasionally edit to bring out the colors but try to keep it natural looking while bringing out vibrance. Anyways, all criticisms welcome.

I apologize if the image doesn't show. Just let me know and I'll try to fix it.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

See less See more
#6 · (Edited)
As far as settings:
ISO 1,000
f/6.3
Exp. 1/2000th
Photo looks sharp at size posted. Colors natural.

BUT I'd suggest lower ISO and slower exposure. Background would have blasted out more. Lower ISO results in sharper image with less artifacts too. Not sure what max aperture of your lens is however. That also determines depth of field.

BTW, I still shoot in .jpg. I'm a WYSIWYG kind of guy. I'll mess with gamma, contrast and overall color corrections. But that's where I stop.

After many years of tweaking the fine details, I discovered that nobody (meaning normal people) could discern the nuances of what I accomplished.

Unfortunately in the era of the smart phones, any image seems wonderful to 99.9-percent of the population. People wiggle their smart phones at arms length as if that's the right way to do it. Enough said before I go off on a tangent (well, off on more of a tangent since I already started).

#5 ·
I have two issues with your picture. The dark shadow and the horizontal feature right below the head. Very distracting to an otherwise good photo. Of course, I don't know the environment you were shooting from, but if you had positioned yourself lower than the bird's head or even above it, I think would have made the picture better. Also, a move to the left would have removed the really dark tree to a softer gray. Also, I have no problem with "some" color correction. Make that birds colors pop!

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.