Matagorda Surf End of the Year Recap - 2CoolFishing
Home  |  Contact Us  |  Advertise   |   Follow:
Go Back   2CoolFishing > Saltwater Fishing Forums > Gulf Coast Surf Fishing Message Board
Register FAQ Social Groups Calendar Mark Forums Read

Old 12-31-2020, 05:36 PM   #1
TPOTTS
Registered Users-pm+

TPOTTS has been promoted to PirateTPOTTS has been promoted to PirateTPOTTS has been promoted to PirateTPOTTS has been promoted to PirateTPOTTS has been promoted to PirateTPOTTS has been promoted to PirateTPOTTS has been promoted to PirateTPOTTS has been promoted to PirateTPOTTS has been promoted to PirateTPOTTS has been promoted to PirateTPOTTS has been promoted to Pirate
Matagorda Surf End of the Year Recap

2020 was a pretty crappy year all over the world and one that I’m sure we’d all like to forget. In terms of fishing, however, it was fantastic. 2020 presented us with numerous great weather windows and opportunities to land big fish all up and down the coast. Almost every trip I ventured out on would result in good quality slot reds and bull reds, which I was able to land over a 100 bulls this year with 39 of them breaking the 45” mark. The sharks were plentiful from mid March all the way up into the middle of December and I was able to land several (lost more than I can coun’t though haha). Fishing around the fronts in the later half really paid off in a big way. Another thing that really helped this year was the almost complete lack of sargassum weed. I think I only had one day where it was an issue but other than that it was non-existent on the middle coast. Not sure if the guys down south had to deal with it, only ran to PINS twice this year and both times there was none. I had several good friends join me throughout the year for their first time surf fishing and getting them hooked up on big fish was definitely one of the highlights for me, they are all now hooked for life! I was also fortunate enough to meet several new people while down on the sand and hope to meet more next year. Bring it on 2021, let’s see what you got!

-TPOTTS

I picked out a few of some of my favorite pics from the year:

TPOTTS is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 01-02-2021, 05:26 PM   #2
fish4food
Registered Users-pm+

fish4food has been promoted to Piratefish4food has been promoted to Piratefish4food has been promoted to Piratefish4food has been promoted to Piratefish4food has been promoted to Piratefish4food has been promoted to Piratefish4food has been promoted to Piratefish4food has been promoted to Piratefish4food has been promoted to Piratefish4food has been promoted to Piratefish4food has been promoted to Pirate
Awesome!
fish4food is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 01-04-2021, 02:35 PM   #3
[email protected]
Registered Users-pm+

oscar@CBF has been promoted to Pirateoscar@CBF has been promoted to Pirateoscar@CBF has been promoted to Pirateoscar@CBF has been promoted to Pirateoscar@CBF has been promoted to Pirateoscar@CBF has been promoted to Pirateoscar@CBF has been promoted to Pirateoscar@CBF has been promoted to Pirateoscar@CBF has been promoted to Pirateoscar@CBF has been promoted to Pirateoscar@CBF has been promoted to Pirate
Nice cateches! tell me more about the snook? Thanks,
oscar@CBF is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 01-05-2021, 11:32 PM   #4
jpdarby2
Registered Users-pm+

jpdarby2 has been promoted to Piratejpdarby2 has been promoted to Piratejpdarby2 has been promoted to Piratejpdarby2 has been promoted to Piratejpdarby2 has been promoted to Piratejpdarby2 has been promoted to Piratejpdarby2 has been promoted to Piratejpdarby2 has been promoted to Piratejpdarby2 has been promoted to Piratejpdarby2 has been promoted to Piratejpdarby2 has been promoted to Pirate
Nice Snook! That is a quality year of fishing!
jpdarby2 is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 01-09-2021, 12:08 PM   #5
TPOTTS
Registered Users-pm+

TPOTTS has been promoted to PirateTPOTTS has been promoted to PirateTPOTTS has been promoted to PirateTPOTTS has been promoted to PirateTPOTTS has been promoted to PirateTPOTTS has been promoted to PirateTPOTTS has been promoted to PirateTPOTTS has been promoted to PirateTPOTTS has been promoted to PirateTPOTTS has been promoted to PirateTPOTTS has been promoted to Pirate
Thanks guys!

Oscar- The snook was actually caught on fishbites while bait fishing for whiting, pretty cool surprise catch on that section of the coast.
Old 01-12-2021, 12:07 PM   #6
[email protected]
Registered Users-pm+

oscar@CBF has been promoted to Pirateoscar@CBF has been promoted to Pirateoscar@CBF has been promoted to Pirateoscar@CBF has been promoted to Pirateoscar@CBF has been promoted to Pirateoscar@CBF has been promoted to Pirateoscar@CBF has been promoted to Pirateoscar@CBF has been promoted to Pirateoscar@CBF has been promoted to Pirateoscar@CBF has been promoted to Pirateoscar@CBF has been promoted to Pirate
Sure the hell is. Again - Great catch!
oscar@CBF is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 01-14-2021, 05:48 PM   #7
psalty
Surf-fishin Grandpa

psalty is a Landlubber (+10 to -10)psalty is a Landlubber (+10 to -10)psalty is a Landlubber (+10 to -10)psalty is a Landlubber (+10 to -10)psalty is a Landlubber (+10 to -10)psalty is a Landlubber (+10 to -10)psalty is a Landlubber (+10 to -10)psalty is a Landlubber (+10 to -10)psalty is a Landlubber (+10 to -10)psalty is a Landlubber (+10 to -10)psalty is a Landlubber (+10 to -10)
May your 2021 be as successful and looking fwd to many more pics
psalty is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 02-14-2021, 12:13 PM   #8
therealbigman
Registered Users-pm+

therealbigman has been promoted to Piratetherealbigman has been promoted to Piratetherealbigman has been promoted to Piratetherealbigman has been promoted to Piratetherealbigman has been promoted to Piratetherealbigman has been promoted to Piratetherealbigman has been promoted to Piratetherealbigman has been promoted to Piratetherealbigman has been promoted to Piratetherealbigman has been promoted to Piratetherealbigman has been promoted to Pirate
So where on the coast do you go , I wanna take my 13 yr old son out but need instruction and insight , I haven't surf fished in 30 yrs and thats the tackle I'll be using .
Fenwick and Harnell rods with Jigmaster and Squidder reels . Can ya cast from knee deep
or do ya have to wade out real far for fish ? Thanks
therealbigman is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 02-14-2021, 04:06 PM   #9
TPOTTS
Registered Users-pm+

Quote:
Originally Posted by therealbigman View Post
So where on the coast do you go , I wanna take my 13 yr old son out but need instruction and insight , I haven't surf fished in 30 yrs and thats the tackle I'll be using .
Fenwick and Harnell rods with Jigmaster and Squidder reels . Can ya cast from knee deep
or do ya have to wade out real far for fish ? Thanks
Matagorda beach is where I spend 99% of my time fishing. That beach is excellent for surf fishing because of the really deep guts and structure created by the shell. The tackle you have will work just fine, the jigmasters and squidders used to be the standard surf casting reels and have caught many many fish over the years. You can definitely cast from knee deep water, several places on that stretch of beach you can cast over the first bar without even getting your feet wet. Find an area where the first bar comes in close and launch baits out over it. Start out using fishbites or dead shrimp to catch whiting, croaker and sand trout for bait and work up from there. Blue crab is another great bait for redfish this time of year. 4x4 is needed on that beach, can be nasty driving at times. If you have anymore questions ask away or you can send me a PM and I will be happy to answer them!
Old 02-14-2021, 04:37 PM   #10
therealbigman
Registered Users-pm+

therealbigman has been promoted to Piratetherealbigman has been promoted to Piratetherealbigman has been promoted to Piratetherealbigman has been promoted to Piratetherealbigman has been promoted to Piratetherealbigman has been promoted to Piratetherealbigman has been promoted to Piratetherealbigman has been promoted to Piratetherealbigman has been promoted to Piratetherealbigman has been promoted to Piratetherealbigman has been promoted to Pirate
^^^^Thanks^^^^
therealbigman is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message