1/2 ton diesels - 2CoolFishing
Home  |  Contact Us  |  Advertise   |   Follow:
Go Back   2CoolFishing > General Interest Forums > Trucks/Towing/Trailering Forum
Register FAQ Social Groups Calendar Mark Forums Read

Old 12-17-2020, 11:34 AM   #1
standfas
Registered Users-pm+

standfas is a Landlubber (+10 to -10)
1/2 ton diesels

Anybody have experience or opinions on the new 1/2 ton diesels? I've seen where the Ford hasn't sold well and the Ram was just recently re-released.

I'm intrigued with the thought of the increased MPG of the diesels. I average about 27000 miles per year...mostly hwy driving.

I tow a 6000lb boat several times a year from Dickinson to Lake Travis or Canyon Lake. Also tow a little Kubota CUT a few times a month.

I'm wondering most about why the diesels have been such mediocre sellers. Seems there was a big clamor for them and now that they're here, they're being passed over for other motors.
standfas is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 12-17-2020, 12:23 PM   #2
cclayton01
Registered Users-pm+

cclayton01 has been promoted to Piratecclayton01 has been promoted to Piratecclayton01 has been promoted to Piratecclayton01 has been promoted to Piratecclayton01 has been promoted to Piratecclayton01 has been promoted to Piratecclayton01 has been promoted to Piratecclayton01 has been promoted to Piratecclayton01 has been promoted to Piratecclayton01 has been promoted to Piratecclayton01 has been promoted to Pirate
Check out this thread:
https://www.2coolfishing.com/ttmbfor....php?t=2686153

I would guess they aren’t selling well because of their price? For a little more, you can move up to the 3/4 ton class and have more hauling/towing capacity. Plus diesels in that size range are relatively new and some buyers may be hesitant to buy?

Just my 2 cents on the topic. I may be totally wrong
cclayton01 is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 12-17-2020, 12:57 PM   #3
TheGoose
Registered Users-pm+

TheGoose has been promoted to PirateTheGoose has been promoted to PirateTheGoose has been promoted to PirateTheGoose has been promoted to PirateTheGoose has been promoted to PirateTheGoose has been promoted to PirateTheGoose has been promoted to PirateTheGoose has been promoted to PirateTheGoose has been promoted to PirateTheGoose has been promoted to PirateTheGoose has been promoted to Pirate
70 k Miles on a 2016 Ram EcoD. Love the truck. 4x4 crew cab, on the hwy it can easily get 25-27 mpg, around town 17-21. I tow a 35 hp kubota tractor regularly with ease and a 20 Tran cat. Towing mileage is still pretty decent, 12-14 mpg. Just towed a Crew cab mule 4010 to uvalde and back, avg 12 mpg at 70+ mph. Drives a little different than your avg gas half ton, takes a little getting used to.
TheGoose is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 12-17-2020, 09:17 PM   #4
saltwaterfisherman
Registered Users-pm+

saltwaterfisherman has been promoted to Piratesaltwaterfisherman has been promoted to Piratesaltwaterfisherman has been promoted to Piratesaltwaterfisherman has been promoted to Piratesaltwaterfisherman has been promoted to Piratesaltwaterfisherman has been promoted to Piratesaltwaterfisherman has been promoted to Piratesaltwaterfisherman has been promoted to Piratesaltwaterfisherman has been promoted to Piratesaltwaterfisherman has been promoted to Piratesaltwaterfisherman has been promoted to Pirate
After owning 2 Ford F250 diesel`s I will never buy another Ford again. They haven`t made a good diesel since the 7.3. They have a lot of emission issues and both of mine were in the shop all the time. The last one kept going into regen and I was getting about 1 gallon of fuel in my oil every 4000 miles and 3 Ford dealers told me that this was normal.

I would suggest Chevy or Dodge.
saltwaterfisherman is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 12-17-2020, 10:24 PM   #5
Sgrem
Registered Users-pm+

Sgrem has been promoted to PirateSgrem has been promoted to PirateSgrem has been promoted to PirateSgrem has been promoted to PirateSgrem has been promoted to PirateSgrem has been promoted to PirateSgrem has been promoted to PirateSgrem has been promoted to PirateSgrem has been promoted to PirateSgrem has been promoted to PirateSgrem has been promoted to Pirate
I have a 3.0L diesel in my BMW X5. I am a full time guide and tow my 26ft Southshore with oversize TTop daily. It weighs 6800pounds. Wife has same vehicle with same diesel. We tow the two horse trailer which weighs 7500 loaded often. Also have an equipment trailer for the John Deere or Mahindra. The twin engine offshore boat is a lil over 7600 pounds. Tows, handles, stops em all great.
Have 125k miles on both vehicles now. Normal maintenance and repairs. Nothing major or unexpected. We get 36mph empty. 17mpg towing the horse trailer. 13mpg towing the boat. I tow with mine daily up and down the coast.

I know it's not a truck that you asked about. Just sharing my experience w the 3.0L diesel. And just an FYI it has the identical same part number 8spd transmission as in the Dodge half tons.
Attached Images

Sgrem is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 12-17-2020, 10:49 PM   #6
SARGEANTSEACAT
Registered Users-pm+

SARGEANTSEACAT has been promoted to PirateSARGEANTSEACAT has been promoted to PirateSARGEANTSEACAT has been promoted to PirateSARGEANTSEACAT has been promoted to PirateSARGEANTSEACAT has been promoted to PirateSARGEANTSEACAT has been promoted to PirateSARGEANTSEACAT has been promoted to PirateSARGEANTSEACAT has been promoted to PirateSARGEANTSEACAT has been promoted to PirateSARGEANTSEACAT has been promoted to PirateSARGEANTSEACAT has been promoted to Pirate
Steven
Do you know if there are different axle ratios for the BMW?
Your's are x5 xdrive 35d right ?
What year models?

Sent from my E6810 using Tapatalk
SARGEANTSEACAT is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 12-17-2020, 10:56 PM   #7
Sgrem
Registered Users-pm+

Sgrem has been promoted to PirateSgrem has been promoted to PirateSgrem has been promoted to PirateSgrem has been promoted to PirateSgrem has been promoted to PirateSgrem has been promoted to PirateSgrem has been promoted to PirateSgrem has been promoted to PirateSgrem has been promoted to PirateSgrem has been promoted to PirateSgrem has been promoted to Pirate
I believe the only axle is the 3.15.... not really targeted as a tow vehicle so they dont offer a lot of tow options. It is an animal. If I was getting another vehicle tomorrow I would get another one. Up to 7500 pounds it is the very best every day tow vehicle I have ever had. And i have had every truck out there and lots of dually and f550s. I used to drive over 100k miles a year hot shotting so I bbn know what towing is. When my wife got her silver X5 I still had a 3/4 ton Chevy CC 4x4. It towed and handled and stopped my boat better than that truck ever thought about. Got rid of the truck and got my own X5 that week.
Old 12-18-2020, 12:20 AM   #8
SARGEANTSEACAT
Registered Users-pm+

SARGEANTSEACAT has been promoted to PirateSARGEANTSEACAT has been promoted to PirateSARGEANTSEACAT has been promoted to PirateSARGEANTSEACAT has been promoted to PirateSARGEANTSEACAT has been promoted to PirateSARGEANTSEACAT has been promoted to PirateSARGEANTSEACAT has been promoted to PirateSARGEANTSEACAT has been promoted to PirateSARGEANTSEACAT has been promoted to PirateSARGEANTSEACAT has been promoted to PirateSARGEANTSEACAT has been promoted to Pirate
Steven
What years are your x5's and do you have a hidden hitch or a standard hitch ?

Sent from my E6810 using Tapatalk
SARGEANTSEACAT is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 12-18-2020, 12:30 AM   #9
Sgrem
Registered Users-pm+

They are both 2015.
Wifes came with the factory hitch.
I installed the Invisihitch on mine.
Both hitch styles work well. I am not of fan of not being able to use standard drawbars but the pro to that is with this design there is zero slack. As in none. It is two pieces machined to exact tolerances. It is as tight as if it were bolted on solid. We couldnt care less about them being "hidden" as we leave the assembly in 24/7 so you see the bar and ball as you would with anything.

And btw the axle ratio is excellent for the tire size. I see no need for change there. I have never slipped a tire. And the torque and close gears of that 8speed will leave off the line hard towing or not.
Old 12-19-2020, 11:05 AM   #10
Cardiac Cid
Registered Users-pm+

Cardiac Cid has been promoted to Gunners first mate (soon to be full share Gunner)Cardiac Cid has been promoted to Gunners first mate (soon to be full share Gunner)Cardiac Cid has been promoted to Gunners first mate (soon to be full share Gunner)Cardiac Cid has been promoted to Gunners first mate (soon to be full share Gunner)Cardiac Cid has been promoted to Gunners first mate (soon to be full share Gunner)Cardiac Cid has been promoted to Gunners first mate (soon to be full share Gunner)Cardiac Cid has been promoted to Gunners first mate (soon to be full share Gunner)Cardiac Cid has been promoted to Gunners first mate (soon to be full share Gunner)Cardiac Cid has been promoted to Gunners first mate (soon to be full share Gunner)Cardiac Cid has been promoted to Gunners first mate (soon to be full share Gunner)Cardiac Cid has been promoted to Gunners first mate (soon to be full share Gunner)
I've owned several trucks over the years from F250 diesels to 3/4 ton gassers and a few 1/2 tons in between. After I traded in my f250 cuz I only towed a bay boat and my 5500lbs camper maybe 6-8 times a year I couldn't justify the big diesel and instantly regretted it. Went thru 3 trucks in 2 yrs looking for the same comfort while towing as the 3/4 diesel and finally found it in my 2020 Chevy 1/2 ton diesel! This think is impressive! Pulls my boat and camper very easily and avg about 14mpg while towing and when not towing avg about 27mpg with 32-34 mpg at 60-65 mph. Look into them u won't regret it. Now that being said the tow rating is only 9300lbs but I don't have anything that big so no problem here.
Cardiac Cid is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message