Texas City Dike - 2CoolFishing
Home  |  Contact Us  |  Advertise   |   Follow:
Go Back   2CoolFishing > Saltwater Fishing Forums > Gulf Coast Surf Fishing Message Board
Register FAQ Social Groups Calendar Mark Forums Read

Reply
 
Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 08-30-2020, 11:44 PM   #1
saltwaterfisherman
Registered Users-pm+
 
Join Date: Jan 05 2014
Location: Kingwood
Age: 51
Posts: 310
Rep Power: 1148929
saltwaterfisherman has been promoted to Piratesaltwaterfisherman has been promoted to Piratesaltwaterfisherman has been promoted to Piratesaltwaterfisherman has been promoted to Piratesaltwaterfisherman has been promoted to Piratesaltwaterfisherman has been promoted to Piratesaltwaterfisherman has been promoted to Piratesaltwaterfisherman has been promoted to Piratesaltwaterfisherman has been promoted to Piratesaltwaterfisherman has been promoted to Piratesaltwaterfisherman has been promoted to Pirate
snapper Texas City Dike

I always had boats until I sold my offshore boat a few years ago. I am getting the itch to go fishing again, but I don`t know anything about surf fishing and don`t have the gear. I am laid off like millions of others so I don`t have the funds to go out and buy surf rods and reels.

I have never been to Texas City Dike so I am hoping that you can help. Have you fished Texas City Dike, and what was your experience? What did you catch? What pointers do you have? I am also looking for any helpful information.

Thank you,
saltwaterfisherman is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Sponsored Links
Advertisement
 
Old 08-31-2020, 12:01 AM   #2
Sgrem
Registered Users-pm+
 
Sgrem's Avatar
 
Join Date: Oct 04 2005
Location: Algoa, TX
Age: 46
Posts: 11,129
Rep Power: 21491588
Sgrem has been promoted to PirateSgrem has been promoted to PirateSgrem has been promoted to PirateSgrem has been promoted to PirateSgrem has been promoted to PirateSgrem has been promoted to PirateSgrem has been promoted to PirateSgrem has been promoted to PirateSgrem has been promoted to PirateSgrem has been promoted to PirateSgrem has been promoted to Pirate
Take a visit down there. See what others are doing. Spend some time over there and you will see what methods produce and what doesnt. There are hundreds sometimes thousands of people down there every day. They are there daily for a reason.

Go give er a try....
Sgrem is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 08-31-2020, 01:04 PM   #3
dinodude
Registered Users-pm+
 
dinodude's Avatar
 
Join Date: Mar 17 2013
Posts: 1,023
Rep Power: 3637987
dinodude has been promoted to Piratedinodude has been promoted to Piratedinodude has been promoted to Piratedinodude has been promoted to Piratedinodude has been promoted to Piratedinodude has been promoted to Piratedinodude has been promoted to Piratedinodude has been promoted to Piratedinodude has been promoted to Piratedinodude has been promoted to Piratedinodude has been promoted to Pirate
Quote:
Originally Posted by saltwaterfisherman View Post
I always had boats until I sold my offshore boat a few years ago. I am getting the itch to go fishing again, but I don`t know anything about surf fishing and don`t have the gear. I am laid off like millions of others so I don`t have the funds to go out and buy surf rods and reels.

I have never been to Texas City Dike so I am hoping that you can help. Have you fished Texas City Dike, and what was your experience? What did you catch? What pointers do you have? I am also looking for any helpful information.

Thank you,
Honestly, I never really had much luck at Texas City Dike and many people I see around me don't do too well; it can be on and off but I've always heard this: moving tides of some sort is needed. Also, I don't really see much going on in the water unless it's early morning (before sunrise).

Look up the topological structure of mosquito island, some parts are dangerous. As you wade out, there should be a gut you walk through; lots of people try to fish that during a tide.

Also, during an incoming tide, try fishing on the left hand side; there is a *huge* *deep* hole where fish might be hiding. There are people who have drowned so make sure you have a pfd (you can get them for like 20 bucks at academy). Follow the lead of other folks, and no need to go more than waist deep.

Also, I recommend you wear thick pants of some sort, I noticed jellyfish while wading at TCD, and at galveston beach, my entire family (except me) got stung.
dinodude is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Sponsored Links
Advertisement
 
Old 08-31-2020, 04:50 PM   #4
bigdawg
Shark Hunter
 
Join Date: May 22 2004
Location: Friendswood,Tx.
Age: 55
Posts: 37
Rep Power: 6160
bigdawg is a Landlubber (+10 to -10)
Give it a shot brother there are plenty of fish to catch at the TCD. Go at low tide and you will see the layout of the structure very easily. Then you will know where the holes are at high tide. Start out at the rocks or the little piers with dead shrimp and you can catch whiting, croaker, drum and sheepshead. Get there early and fish the incoming tide around mosquito island with live shrimp under a popping cork and you should catch some trout. Go late at night with some lights and fish live shrimp or artificials under the lights and there are trout to be had. Chuck out some cut bait and bull reds and shark are usually around. The TCD has lots of fish and if you catch the right day, right tide, right bait you can load up.
bigdawg is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 08-31-2020, 06:33 PM   #5
saltwaterfisherman
Registered Users-pm+
 
Join Date: Jan 05 2014
Location: Kingwood
Age: 51
Posts: 310
Rep Power: 1148929
saltwaterfisherman has been promoted to Piratesaltwaterfisherman has been promoted to Piratesaltwaterfisherman has been promoted to Piratesaltwaterfisherman has been promoted to Piratesaltwaterfisherman has been promoted to Piratesaltwaterfisherman has been promoted to Piratesaltwaterfisherman has been promoted to Piratesaltwaterfisherman has been promoted to Piratesaltwaterfisherman has been promoted to Piratesaltwaterfisherman has been promoted to Piratesaltwaterfisherman has been promoted to Pirate
Texas City Dike

Quote:
Originally Posted by dinodude View Post
Honestly, I never really had much luck at Texas City Dike and many people I see around me don't do too well; it can be on and off but I've always heard this: moving tides of some sort is needed. Also, I don't really see much going on in the water unless it's early morning (before sunrise).

Look up the topological structure of mosquito island, some parts are dangerous. As you wade out, there should be a gut you walk through; lots of people try to fish that during a tide.

Also, during an incoming tide, try fishing on the left hand side; there is a *huge* *deep* hole where fish might be hiding. There are people who have drowned so make sure you have a pfd (you can get them for like 20 bucks at academy). Follow the lead of other folks, and no need to go more than waist deep.

Also, I recommend you wear thick pants of some sort, I noticed jellyfish while wading at TCD, and at galveston beach, my entire family (except me) got stung.
I think that if I am going to wade I would invest in some waders. I came across some videos on You Tube of people fishing in Texas City from the rocks so I didn`t need to get in the water which is why I was thinking about this spot.
saltwaterfisherman is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 08-31-2020, 06:45 PM   #6
dinodude
Registered Users-pm+
 
dinodude's Avatar
 
Join Date: Mar 17 2013
Posts: 1,023
Rep Power: 3637987
dinodude has been promoted to Piratedinodude has been promoted to Piratedinodude has been promoted to Piratedinodude has been promoted to Piratedinodude has been promoted to Piratedinodude has been promoted to Piratedinodude has been promoted to Piratedinodude has been promoted to Piratedinodude has been promoted to Piratedinodude has been promoted to Piratedinodude has been promoted to Pirate
Quote:
Originally Posted by saltwaterfisherman View Post
I think that if I am going to wade I would invest in some waders. I came across some videos on You Tube of people fishing in Texas City from the rocks so I didn`t need to get in the water which is why I was thinking about this spot.
Waders are actually discouraged at mosquito island, because you might encounter a deep drop off and water might get into your waders and you won't be in a very fun situation.

I've seen people fish off the levee road ( there's a road that goes to your left before you enter the dike); if you wanna stay dry, try getting onto that road and keep driving till you hit the gazebo, then fish from there.

Also, if you use facebook, I recommend joining the Texas city dike fishing group; lots of good information there.
dinodude is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 08-31-2020, 06:58 PM   #7
saltwaterfisherman
Registered Users-pm+
 
Join Date: Jan 05 2014
Location: Kingwood
Age: 51
Posts: 310
Rep Power: 1148929
saltwaterfisherman has been promoted to Piratesaltwaterfisherman has been promoted to Piratesaltwaterfisherman has been promoted to Piratesaltwaterfisherman has been promoted to Piratesaltwaterfisherman has been promoted to Piratesaltwaterfisherman has been promoted to Piratesaltwaterfisherman has been promoted to Piratesaltwaterfisherman has been promoted to Piratesaltwaterfisherman has been promoted to Piratesaltwaterfisherman has been promoted to Piratesaltwaterfisherman has been promoted to Pirate
Quote:
Originally Posted by bigdawg View Post
Give it a shot brother there are plenty of fish to catch at the TCD. Go at low tide and you will see the layout of the structure very easily. Then you will know where the holes are at high tide. Start out at the rocks or the little piers with dead shrimp and you can catch whiting, croaker, drum and sheepshead. Get there early and fish the incoming tide around mosquito island with live shrimp under a popping cork and you should catch some trout. Go late at night with some lights and fish live shrimp or artificials under the lights and there are trout to be had. Chuck out some cut bait and bull reds and shark are usually around. The TCD has lots of fish and if you catch the right day, right tide, right bait you can load up.
I was thinking about going in the evening since it is so **** hot during the day. I have a small Honda generator and a construction light so I was thinking about giving it a shot. I am happy to catch trout or reds or any good eaten fish. We have caught a few sharks over the years which were a blast to fight, but we usually release them. Thank you for the info.
saltwaterfisherman is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 09-02-2020, 06:59 AM   #8
shadslinger

 
shadslinger's Avatar
 
Join Date: Aug 21 2005
Location: Livingston
Posts: 14,367
Rep Power: 21494870
shadslinger has been promoted to Pirateshadslinger has been promoted to Pirateshadslinger has been promoted to Pirateshadslinger has been promoted to Pirateshadslinger has been promoted to Pirateshadslinger has been promoted to Pirateshadslinger has been promoted to Pirateshadslinger has been promoted to Pirateshadslinger has been promoted to Pirateshadslinger has been promoted to Pirateshadslinger has been promoted to Pirate
After you go and watch, figure some places and tactics you wanna try keep in mind that when bottom fishing for reds, croaker, etc..at TCD tides are crucial not only for catching fish, but to keep from losing tackle.
AS SOON as the tides slows and begins to go slack reel in and recast. Maybe wait a beat and see if going stay slack or turn back fast. If you leave a rig out and the tide starts the other way, it's going get hung up and lost.
An extra long handle landing net will get the keepers you catch safely on the the bank without you getting down to dangerous slick rocks to land it.
After you get the terminal tackle you want to use figured out, take 3X the amount you think you need.
shadslinger is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 09-02-2020, 10:47 AM   #9
Momma's Worry
Registered Users-pm+
 
Momma's Worry's Avatar
 
Join Date: Aug 03 2009
Location: Liberty
Age: 65
Posts: 3,947
Rep Power: 8955328
Momma's Worry has been promoted to PirateMomma's Worry has been promoted to PirateMomma's Worry has been promoted to PirateMomma's Worry has been promoted to PirateMomma's Worry has been promoted to PirateMomma's Worry has been promoted to PirateMomma's Worry has been promoted to PirateMomma's Worry has been promoted to PirateMomma's Worry has been promoted to PirateMomma's Worry has been promoted to PirateMomma's Worry has been promoted to Pirate
Quote:
Originally Posted by shadslinger View Post
After you go and watch, figure some places and tactics you wanna try keep in mind that when bottom fishing for reds, croaker, etc..at TCD tides are crucial not only for catching fish, but to keep from losing tackle.
AS SOON as the tides slows and begins to go slack reel in and recast. Maybe wait a beat and see if going stay slack or turn back fast. If you leave a rig out and the tide starts the other way, it's going get hung up and lost.
An extra long handle landing net will get the keepers you catch safely on the the bank without you getting down to dangerous slick rocks to land it.
After you get the terminal tackle you want to use figured out, take 3X the amount you think you need.





the end where the old pier was has always been the best location .....trout,reds,flounder,drum,sand trout , croaker,ribbonfish,eels ..there the bottom drops away from the rocks at at a good rate to a cast-able 50' hole ...lunar tide is a must ......finger mullet best,cork or bottom ...live shrimp under a cork near rocks next.....bucktail jigs,white or yellow
Momma's Worry is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 09-02-2020, 05:13 PM   #10
bigdawg
Shark Hunter
 
Join Date: May 22 2004
Location: Friendswood,Tx.
Age: 55
Posts: 37
Rep Power: 6160
bigdawg is a Landlubber (+10 to -10)
Quote:
Originally Posted by saltwaterfisherman View Post
I was thinking about going in the evening since it is so **** hot during the day. I have a small Honda generator and a construction light so I was thinking about giving it a shot. I am happy to catch trout or reds or any good eaten fish. We have caught a few sharks over the years which were a blast to fight, but we usually release them. Thank you for the info.
You will be surprised how many feel the same way about the heat. I've been down there on summer nights when it looked like daytime with all the light plants lighting up the water. Thats usually the weekends though, week days aren't as bad.
bigdawg is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Reply

Bookmarks

Quick Reply
Message:
Options

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the 2CoolFishing forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in



Currently Active Users Viewing This Thread: 1 (0 members and 1 guests)
 
Thread Tools
Display Modes

Posting Rules
You may post new threads
You may post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off

Forum Jump


All times are GMT -5. The time now is 06:03 AM.


Powered by vBulletin® Version 3.8.8
Copyright ©2000 - 2021, vBulletin Solutions, Inc.
Resources saved on this page: MySQL 16.67%
vBulletin Optimisation provided by vB Optimise (Pro) - vBulletin Mods & Addons Copyright © 2021 DragonByte Technologies Ltd.
vBulletin Security provided by vBSecurity v2.2.2 (Pro) - vBulletin Mods & Addons Copyright © 2021 DragonByte Technologies Ltd.
Copyright 2019
© 2013 Noreast Media, LLC | Terms of Service | Contact Us | Advertise