Vortex Hubs/ NW Houston to PCB - 2CoolFishing
Home  |  Contact Us  |  Advertise   |   Follow:
Go Back   2CoolFishing > General Interest Forums > Trucks/Towing/Trailering Forum
Register FAQ Social Groups Calendar Mark Forums Read

Old 05-31-2020, 10:58 PM   #1
Willkk
Registered Users-pm+

Willkk is a Landlubber (+10 to -10)
Vortex Hubs/ NW Houston to PCB

Trailering my Nauticstar 211 Coastal to Panama City in July. Never towed that far. I bought this rig new in 2018 and it has these Vortex hubs that are supposed to be good for 5 yrs/100K miles before service. I tow it 1-1.5 hrs each way every time I use it (1-2 times a month). Any experience with these hubs? Should I service them and if so how? Any advice on the overall trip from someone who has done it? I will be able to fish at least once a day every day and with so many nearshore reefs I really wanted to get my boys out for snapper and Kings. Renting a boat locks me into the bay and is more for 1 day than I'll pay to store it at the rental facility. Other than that we will use boat to go to shell island. I was also curious about the trailer.... never have had any issues but its all bolted together(aluminum), should I torque all the bolts before the trip?

Last edited by Willkk; 05-31-2020 at 11:11 PM.
Willkk is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 06-01-2020, 08:06 AM   #2
Sgrem
Registered Users-pm+

Sgrem has been promoted to PirateSgrem has been promoted to PirateSgrem has been promoted to PirateSgrem has been promoted to PirateSgrem has been promoted to PirateSgrem has been promoted to PirateSgrem has been promoted to PirateSgrem has been promoted to PirateSgrem has been promoted to PirateSgrem has been promoted to PirateSgrem has been promoted to Pirate
If they aren't oily on back side around the seal or coming out of the cap then correct dont touch it. If it is, dont service it throw it away and replace.

If it makes you feel better get a spare and the tools to do it roadside. Everytime you stop feel each hub and each tire. Warm is ok. Hot is your warning. Stop and do it.

I use a spare hub as my spare tire mount.
Sgrem is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 06-01-2020, 10:46 AM   #3
bwguardian
archTech

bwguardian has been promoted to Piratebwguardian has been promoted to Piratebwguardian has been promoted to Piratebwguardian has been promoted to Piratebwguardian has been promoted to Piratebwguardian has been promoted to Piratebwguardian has been promoted to Piratebwguardian has been promoted to Piratebwguardian has been promoted to Piratebwguardian has been promoted to Piratebwguardian has been promoted to Pirate
^^^...good advice there...I always make the round to put my hand on the trailer wheels when dropping fuel. I would be more concerned about the tires than anything else with this summer heat. Is the trailer a single or double axle...and are your trailer tires load range "C" or "D" units? I'd also look at the date code of the tires as even though you bought the rig new two years ago, those tires may be older...hopefully not too much, like five or so years...
bwguardian is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 06-01-2020, 01:05 PM   #4
Saltwater Soul
Love to fish!

Saltwater Soul has been promoted to PirateSaltwater Soul has been promoted to PirateSaltwater Soul has been promoted to PirateSaltwater Soul has been promoted to PirateSaltwater Soul has been promoted to PirateSaltwater Soul has been promoted to PirateSaltwater Soul has been promoted to PirateSaltwater Soul has been promoted to PirateSaltwater Soul has been promoted to PirateSaltwater Soul has been promoted to PirateSaltwater Soul has been promoted to Pirate
When I tow a long way, I always carry one of these and check the hubs at each stop. Compare and contrast temps on each side and over time. You can actually spot problems before they become critical.

https://www.amazon.com/Etekcity-Lase...s%2C177&sr=8-6

Many other uses around the house for these as well.
Saltwater Soul is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 06-01-2020, 01:32 PM   #5
Willkk
Registered Users-pm+

Quote:
Originally Posted by bwguardian View Post
^^^...good advice there...I always make the round to put my hand on the trailer wheels when dropping fuel. I would be more concerned about the tires than anything else with this summer heat. Is the trailer a single or double axle...and are your trailer tires load range "C" or "D" units? I'd also look at the date code of the tires as even though you bought the rig new two years ago, those tires may be older...hopefully not too much, like five or so years...
Tandem axle trailer. Load range C. The DOT on tires is 0317 which I assume to be 3rd week of 2017. Should I worry about new tires at this age? Garage kept so no dry rot.
Old 06-01-2020, 11:23 PM   #6
Sgrem
Registered Users-pm+

Sgrem has been promoted to PirateSgrem has been promoted to PirateSgrem has been promoted to PirateSgrem has been promoted to PirateSgrem has been promoted to PirateSgrem has been promoted to PirateSgrem has been promoted to PirateSgrem has been promoted to PirateSgrem has been promoted to PirateSgrem has been promoted to PirateSgrem has been promoted to Pirate
Tires should be good for at least another year. At 4 to 5 years change to load range D no matter how much tread is there.

Always run trailer tires at max air pressure listed on tire.
Old 06-02-2020, 12:47 PM   #7
bwguardian
archTech

bwguardian has been promoted to Piratebwguardian has been promoted to Piratebwguardian has been promoted to Piratebwguardian has been promoted to Piratebwguardian has been promoted to Piratebwguardian has been promoted to Piratebwguardian has been promoted to Piratebwguardian has been promoted to Piratebwguardian has been promoted to Piratebwguardian has been promoted to Piratebwguardian has been promoted to Pirate
Quote:
Originally Posted by Willkk View Post
Tandem axle trailer. Load range C. The DOT on tires is 0317 which I assume to be 3rd week of 2017. Should I worry about new tires at this age? Garage kept so no dry rot.
They should be fine, just check your air pressure before you leave in your spare...most often folks forget to keep proper air pressure in their spare and don't realize it's low until it's critical. BTW, I've been buying the load range D trailer tires for several of my trailers over the last couple of years since they came out. Walmart has Carlisle HD 8 ply sidewall 14" trailer tires for just shy of $70 right now but I bought a set last fall and they were just over $50 and normally at $80...plus you can have them delivered to the store and then they will mount and balance them free. However, I know Walmart currently has their automotive section shut down now because of all this pandemic mess...
bwguardian is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 06-03-2020, 03:37 PM   #8
Willkk
Registered Users-pm+

Guys. I apologize. I went out to check around the back seal and it occured to me I stated Vortex..... these are not Vortex..... they are vault hubs...... I think with these changing a hub on the side of the road is more complicated. That was stupid of me.... I dont know where I got the Vortex from .... I knew better.
Old 06-03-2020, 06:54 PM   #9
redexpress
Registered Users-pm+

redexpress has been promoted to Pirateredexpress has been promoted to Pirateredexpress has been promoted to Pirateredexpress has been promoted to Pirateredexpress has been promoted to Pirateredexpress has been promoted to Pirateredexpress has been promoted to Pirateredexpress has been promoted to Pirateredexpress has been promoted to Pirateredexpress has been promoted to Pirateredexpress has been promoted to Pirate
Quote:
Originally Posted by Willkk View Post
Guys. I apologize. I went out to check around the back seal and it occured to me I stated Vortex..... these are not Vortex..... they are vault hubs...... I think with these changing a hub on the side of the road is more complicated. That was stupid of me.... I dont know where I got the Vortex from .... I knew better.
I get them crossways too. There is a Vortex hub. I think it has a grease zerk on the inboard side.
I have Vault hubs, about 5 years old. I would tow to Florida with them tomorrow. Also went to the new Carlisle HD tire in Load Range D from WalMart. I got them to mount them free but had to pay for balancing.
redexpress is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 06-06-2020, 02:37 PM   #10
Sgrem
Registered Users-pm+

My advice above stands. If they are corroded on the spindles then yes takes more effort to change roadside. Otherwise you are good.