Sargent trip - 2CoolFishing
Home  |  Contact Us  |  Advertise   |   Follow:
Go Back   2CoolFishing > Saltwater Fishing Forums > Gulf Coast Surf Fishing Message Board
Register FAQ Social Groups Calendar Mark Forums Read

Old 10-22-2019, 08:35 PM   #1
fishing18
Patient Piscator

fishing18 has been promoted to the rank of Riggerfishing18 has been promoted to the rank of Riggerfishing18 has been promoted to the rank of Riggerfishing18 has been promoted to the rank of Riggerfishing18 has been promoted to the rank of Riggerfishing18 has been promoted to the rank of Riggerfishing18 has been promoted to the rank of Riggerfishing18 has been promoted to the rank of Riggerfishing18 has been promoted to the rank of Riggerfishing18 has been promoted to the rank of Riggerfishing18 has been promoted to the rank of Rigger
Headed down to Sargent Monday afternoon and and fished until noon Tuesday. Overall it was a good trip but a little slow. Wind was blowing hard and the surf was up.

Started out heading toward Mitchell’s cut on the high road. Stopped at a creek to net some mullet. The finger mullet were there but elusive. While stalking the mullet in shin deep clear water had a school of reds come through and boy was that cool watching them go to town on the mullet. They actually pushed the mullet right to me but was afraid to throw the net because of all the reds. Headed back to the truck and grabbed my spinning rod. Managed to land a nice 18” red.

Made it over to Mitchell’s cut and finally netted a bunch of finger mullet. Also caught a nice spade fish with the cast net (that was a first for me in Texas). It was a strong outgoing tide most of the night. Caught 1 nice black drum right at dusk that was 20lb+. She ate half a blue crab. Other than that it was pretty slow. Plenty of hard head and a few giant gafftop. Decided to call it a night around midnight and get some sleep in the truck.

Next morning tried fishing the cut again for about an hour. After the 5th hard head decided to change it up and hit the surf. The waves were bigger than I’d hoped for so called an audible and headed to the cut by cedar lakes. Got there around 8am. Threw a mullet on bottom right in the middle of the cut and hooked up to a nice 24” red after only a few minutes. Put another mullet out and immediately got slammed. Ended up being a 29” red. Current started picking up and the bite turned off.

Decided to try the surf just down the beach a 100 yds from the cut and fight the waves. Had to use 8oz spider sinkers just to hold the bait. Caught two puppy reds 12-14” after a couple hours of fishing. With such a heavy sinker I didn’t even know I had hooked either fish until I had almost reeled all the way in. Decided to call it a day and head home.

Spearo
Attached Images

fishing18 is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 10-25-2019, 08:57 AM   #2
That Robbie Guy
Registered Users-pm+

That Robbie Guy has disabled reputation
Man, that's a beautiful sky!
That Robbie Guy is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 10-25-2019, 10:33 AM   #3
Swampus
Hunting Machine!

Swampus has been promoted to PirateSwampus has been promoted to PirateSwampus has been promoted to PirateSwampus has been promoted to PirateSwampus has been promoted to PirateSwampus has been promoted to PirateSwampus has been promoted to PirateSwampus has been promoted to PirateSwampus has been promoted to PirateSwampus has been promoted to PirateSwampus has been promoted to Pirate
great report and great time out there.
Thanks.
Swampus is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message