LED question - 2CoolFishing
Home  |  Contact Us  |  Advertise   |   Follow:
Go Back   2CoolFishing > General Interest Forums > Trucks/Towing/Trailering Forum
Register FAQ Social Groups Calendar Mark Forums Read

Old 10-01-2019, 07:21 AM   #1
Dead Wait
Registered Users-pm+

Dead Wait has been promoted to PirateDead Wait has been promoted to PirateDead Wait has been promoted to PirateDead Wait has been promoted to PirateDead Wait has been promoted to PirateDead Wait has been promoted to PirateDead Wait has been promoted to PirateDead Wait has been promoted to PirateDead Wait has been promoted to PirateDead Wait has been promoted to PirateDead Wait has been promoted to Pirate
LED question

A friend of mine decided to put LED's on the back of his Dodge 3500 stake bed and headache rack. All the lights were working prior to replacing them with the LED's. Once he changed them, now he has a light on the dash showing a bulb out and the turn signals are flashing fast as if one is out. He checked all the lights and they are all working. My question is, does he need to replace all the bulbs with LED's or does he need to change a fuse? As I said, all the light's were working before he started replacing them. Thanks for any help.
Dead Wait is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 10-01-2019, 07:59 AM   #2
Robert.Parson
Banned

Robert.Parson has been promoted to PirateRobert.Parson has been promoted to PirateRobert.Parson has been promoted to PirateRobert.Parson has been promoted to PirateRobert.Parson has been promoted to PirateRobert.Parson has been promoted to PirateRobert.Parson has been promoted to PirateRobert.Parson has been promoted to PirateRobert.Parson has been promoted to PirateRobert.Parson has been promoted to PirateRobert.Parson has been promoted to Pirate
The computer thinks a bulb is out because the leds pull so little power that it can’t tell they are on.
I did my excursion 5-6 years ago and ended up just taking them out and giving them away.
There is some kind of workaround. But I think it involves adding some DIODE or something inline to make it so the computer can see the bulb.
But then, if a bulb does burn out, you’ll never notice it.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
Robert.Parson is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 10-01-2019, 08:24 AM   #3
Dead Wait
Registered Users-pm+

Dead Wait has been promoted to PirateDead Wait has been promoted to PirateDead Wait has been promoted to PirateDead Wait has been promoted to PirateDead Wait has been promoted to PirateDead Wait has been promoted to PirateDead Wait has been promoted to PirateDead Wait has been promoted to PirateDead Wait has been promoted to PirateDead Wait has been promoted to PirateDead Wait has been promoted to Pirate
Perfect. Now he has a place to start.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 10-01-2019, 02:06 PM   #4
goinpostal3
Licensed Process Server and PI

goinpostal3 has been promoted to Pirategoinpostal3 has been promoted to Pirategoinpostal3 has been promoted to Pirategoinpostal3 has been promoted to Pirategoinpostal3 has been promoted to Pirategoinpostal3 has been promoted to Pirategoinpostal3 has been promoted to Pirategoinpostal3 has been promoted to Pirategoinpostal3 has been promoted to Pirategoinpostal3 has been promoted to Pirategoinpostal3 has been promoted to Pirate
Inline resistors are cheap and easy to put in. I had to put a number of them on my Tundra when I switched over to LEDs
goinpostal3 is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 10-01-2019, 04:32 PM   #5
Dead Wait
Registered Users-pm+

So, it looks like each new light or bulbs needs the resistor inline with it. That's what I needed to know. Thanks for yalls help. Ask the right people and you get the right answer. Great people on 2cool.
Old 11-04-2019, 01:08 PM   #6
texcajun
Registered Users-pm+

texcajun has been promoted to Piratetexcajun has been promoted to Piratetexcajun has been promoted to Piratetexcajun has been promoted to Piratetexcajun has been promoted to Piratetexcajun has been promoted to Piratetexcajun has been promoted to Piratetexcajun has been promoted to Piratetexcajun has been promoted to Piratetexcajun has been promoted to Piratetexcajun has been promoted to Pirate
Be careful where you mount that resistor, they drop so much current that they get pretty hot. Just like those old filament bulbs use to.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dead Wait View Post
So, it looks like each new light or bulbs needs the resistor inline with it. That's what I needed to know. Thanks for yalls help. Ask the right people and you get the right answer. Great people on 2cool.
texcajun is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 11-04-2019, 02:25 PM   #7
bwguardian
archTech

bwguardian has been promoted to Piratebwguardian has been promoted to Piratebwguardian has been promoted to Piratebwguardian has been promoted to Piratebwguardian has been promoted to Piratebwguardian has been promoted to Piratebwguardian has been promoted to Piratebwguardian has been promoted to Piratebwguardian has been promoted to Piratebwguardian has been promoted to Piratebwguardian has been promoted to Pirate
The turn signal issue is probably the flasher module. As stated, the led bulbs draw much less current so the flasher module thinks there is a bulb out. Replace the module for a newer one that can sense the led current, and problem solved.
bwguardian is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 12-26-2019, 10:16 PM   #8
hoosierplugger
Registered Users-pm+

hoosierplugger has been promoted to Piratehoosierplugger has been promoted to Piratehoosierplugger has been promoted to Piratehoosierplugger has been promoted to Piratehoosierplugger has been promoted to Piratehoosierplugger has been promoted to Piratehoosierplugger has been promoted to Piratehoosierplugger has been promoted to Piratehoosierplugger has been promoted to Piratehoosierplugger has been promoted to Piratehoosierplugger has been promoted to Pirate
I put LEDs in the backup lights of my Tundra, big mistake. One failed and blew a fuse and set off a bunch of unrelated codes/dash warning lights.

I pulled the LEDs and put the old incandescents back in, pulled the battery and all was good.

It took me a good half day of research to figure out the problem. What a PIA.
hoosierplugger is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 12-30-2019, 11:23 PM   #9
texcajun
Registered Users-pm+

texcajun has been promoted to Piratetexcajun has been promoted to Piratetexcajun has been promoted to Piratetexcajun has been promoted to Piratetexcajun has been promoted to Piratetexcajun has been promoted to Piratetexcajun has been promoted to Piratetexcajun has been promoted to Piratetexcajun has been promoted to Piratetexcajun has been promoted to Piratetexcajun has been promoted to Pirate
I recently replaced my wife's DRLs in her 2012 Jeep Grand Cherokee with the LED equivalents. Much brighter and don't draw near the amount of current. Fortunately, they have no current requirements.
texcajun is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 12-30-2019, 11:45 PM   #10
hurricane matt
Registered Users-pm+

hurricane matt has been promoted to Piratehurricane matt has been promoted to Piratehurricane matt has been promoted to Piratehurricane matt has been promoted to Piratehurricane matt has been promoted to Piratehurricane matt has been promoted to Piratehurricane matt has been promoted to Piratehurricane matt has been promoted to Piratehurricane matt has been promoted to Piratehurricane matt has been promoted to Piratehurricane matt has been promoted to Pirate
I'd keep outside lights oem. Want a real upgrade...install led inside some, floor , much brighter when you need it.

Sent from my Pixel 3 using Tapatalk
hurricane matt is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message